SASS Wire Forum

Bad day at the Vet's office

So I took my 10 year old yellow lab in for his yearly check-up yesterday; he's been panting more, and more loudly, over the last month or so, and I wanted him checked out.

The verdict? He has progressive degeneration of the nerves that control his larynx; that causes it to remain closed, interfering with his breathing. When stressed or hot or exerted, and he needs more air, he can't get it without heavy panting; and it will only get worse. Laryngeal paralysis, says the vet.

No real options. There is a surgery, but with some serious and likely side effects (like a full-time open larynx, allowing easy aspiration of food and water into the lungs, leading to likely bronchitis and/or pneumonia). Vet's advice - pass on the surgery, try to keep him cool, quiet and un-stressed.

I know that my time with this wonderful animal is limited; I know that my wife's heart will be broken; and I dread witnessing his decline into more and more discomfort.

Anyone else dealt with this problem? Any suggestions for making him more comfortable?

Aw, heck.

LL

Bad news from a pet doctor should be treated like bad news from a physician...get a second opinion. Speaking from 24 years of private veterinary practice, the best veterinarians, like the best physicians, welcome second opinions...they want what is best for the patient, not what is best for their egos.

Shop for surgery prices also. There is usually a wide range in surgical fees from one veterinarian to another. Referrals from other pet owners and other veterinarians can be a valuable guide.

I have not had personal experience diagnosing or treating your dog's condition. Even if I were not a veterinarian, if I could have the surgery done at a reasonable fee, I would risk it. Your dog is already uncomfortable, and it's going to get worse with time. If the surgery doesn't help, you will at least have the peace of mind knowing you gave it a chance.

Finally, in my experience, pet owners wait too long to end their pet's discomfort. That's understandable, but unfair to a good companion. When the pet is no longer enjoying himself, and when the pet's presence is a source of concern rather than joy for the owner, it's time.

You have my sympathy, been through it with quite a few of my own.

Loophole,

Some thoughts one pray on it God does great things, it helped our Winston several times when they said give up he will just fade away. Next as long as the dog has a good attitude and will to live and is not in any pain just enjoy the time left if God's answer is no on prayers. Last a second opion is always good. To bad they only have a short time to give and get love.

Loop, I can't say much more than has already been said. You'll do what's best for your beloved dog. But when that hard time comes, the last act of love we can give a beloved dog for all his service and loving faithfulness is a painless and graceful exit.

J Bar is right about a second opinion. I had a Lab that had the same problem. Had the surgery done to her and she lived 5 more active, productive years. Had he put down 2 years ago at age 13 1/2. She was a wonderful companion, great hunter and the best dog I have ever had.

I now have another female black Lab (Jenny) who is 1 1/2 years old and is a ball of fire! She is definitely helping to fill the void in my life from losing Molly, my last Lab.

Monday morning I had to take Mrs. Lose' 12 year old yellow cat into the vet. I knew it wasn't going to go back home but my wife had hopes. Well he had advanced liver cancer and had to be put down. I'm not real fond of cats but this was really hard to do. We waited way to long and it wasn't fair to the cat.

My hand on your shoulder, my friend.

Many of us here, myself included, have had to make that final decision, whether to say goodbye now, or whether to wait, knowing it will be goodbye and nothing we can do to change it.

I don't know which one was worse.

Dogs are part of our family.

We've never laughed as hard as we have since we got our pair, and I'm not sure if we taught them, or they taught us.

Ours discouraged a fleeing felon from trying to break into our house one dark night.

Ours licked salty tears from our cheeks when we dealt with other griefs.

I know that someday ours too will be gone, and I have to agree with Will Rogers when he observed that when he died, he wanted to go wherever dogs go.

Loophole - we were in the same position with our thirteen year old yellow Lab two years ago. Although it was not the same disease, we made the same decision as you, to keep him as comfortable and pain-free as possible. When we had to have him put down a little over a year ago, it was the hardest thing I've ever done. God Bless y'all and your pup and give him many more days with you.

Prayers up for you and your dog. Pets are more than just animals. They are family. That said, when their quality of life declines or they are in pain, as hard as it is, you have to make a hard decision. You will know when to make that decision, but it won't hurt you any less.

Archived