SASS Wire Forum

Yogi Berra, Master Yankee Catcher With Goofy Wit, Dies at 90

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/24/sports/baseball/yogi-berra-dies-at-90-yankees-baseball-catcher.html?_r=0

Yogi Berra, one of baseball’s greatest catchers and characters, who as a player was a mainstay of 10 Yankee championship teams and as a manager led both the Yankees and Mets to the World Series — but who may be more widely known as an ungainly but lovable cultural figure, inspiring a cartoon character and issuing a seemingly limitless supply of unwittingly witty epigrams known as Yogi-isms — died on Tuesday. He was 90.

His death was reported by the Yankees and by the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center in Little Falls, N.J. Before moving to an assisted living facility in nearby West Caldwell, in 2012, Berra had lived for many years in neighboring Montclair.

In 1949, early in Berra’s Yankee career, his manager assessed him this way in an interview in The Sporting News: “Mr. Berra,” Casey Stengel said, “is a very strange fellow of very remarkable abilities.”

And so he was, and so he proved to be. Universally known simply as Yogi, probably the second most recognizable nickname in sports — even Yogi was not the Babe — Berra was not exactly an unlikely hero, but he was often portrayed as one: an All-Star for 15 consecutive seasons whose skills were routinely underestimated; a well-built, appealingly open-faced man whose physical appearance was often belittled; and a prolific winner — not to mention a successful leader — whose intellect was a target of humor if not outright derision.

Thank you for enriching our lives and language, sir.

God bless you, Larry... I suspect there are smiles and laughter in heaven today.

Godspeed Number 8. Mr. Berra, as a Little League catcher, I wore your number. Yogi was, and still is, an American treasure.

Prayers up for the Berra family and his many fans.

My favorite one is "Nobody goes there any more - because it is too crowded".

Yes - a tough - hard nosed ball player. He played the game the right way.

= Boneyard

Yogi was coach for the Houston Astros in the late '80s. We took a family trip over spring break to Orlando and watched some spring training practice. He was friendly and patient with those who gathered around him as he walked from the locker room to the practice field. Thank you, Mr. Berra, for signing my son's baseball. It meant a lot to all of us.

My father took me to a lot of Indians games in the late 50's, when the Tribe was always in 1st, second or third place battling the Yankees and the Red Sox. My dad always wanted to see the Yankees. I seen Yogi play a number of times, he was a great catcher and good clutch hitter. ;)

I had the honor of playing baseball for the U.S. Army team. My bat was a YB-3 (Yogi Berra 33") Was a great bat, like the great man. R.I.P. Yogi

Everything I said, I never said.......

At 5' - 7", you played with just as much heart and devotion as any other player.

Thank you Yogi for your dedication to baseball and on the spot observations. Most of all, Thank You for your service during WWII when your country needed you most.

CS

Archived