SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2016 - It's Coming FAST!

Yap! It's coming fast.

Looking forward to seeing all of you down there!

Jef

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't want anyone to have to carry me off like they did that feller formerly known as Philly Slim.

No worries, the gurney they put me on had a hydraulic lift system. It handled me just fine so I'm sure you wouldn't be a problem. :P

Well seeing as how all you fellers seem to really want it, I'll auction it off after I win it. Bidding starts at a Johnny Meadows SKB and goes from there.

Larsen, a couple of questions....

Any thoughts of making a vendor map to put in the shooter bags? It would help some of us find vendors we want to visit without having to walk the whole circuit, or try to remember where we saw them the previous day.

Second, would there be a problem wearing a modern knee brace on the outside of my costume pants? Arthritis seems to have attacked me and I don't trust the knee and don't want anyone to have to carry me off like they did that feller formerly known as Philly Slim.

There will be vendor maps available. They won't be in the shooter bags as many vendors wait fairly late to register and the bags are stuffed well before the match. Registration will have them or be able to tell you where they are.

Everyone tries to accomodate medical conditions so it whould not be a problem.

Here is one of the special prizes we will have at Winter Range. Bob Mernickle sent some photos of the custom rig he is making for WR. The emblems are sterling silver and there will be a matching belt as soon as the winner's waist size is determined. A thousand dollar+ rig!!!

Mernickle%20holster%202_zpsh8nalonx.jpg

I assume this will be the award for best stage design?

Over the next couple of months some new props will be built. For those familiar with Ben Avery, Winter Range stages one through four are in one giant bay. Starting with Stage 1 there should be an Open Range type stage. Then Stage 2 will be the start of a frontier boom town with some finished and semi-finished buildings. Stage 3 will be a train pulling ore cars and Stage 4 will be the mine providing the ore for the train.

Each year Winter Range tries to give a gift to each shooter. This year it will be something special that all shooters can use -- a premium quality shooter's bag. It will have padded pistol cases inside and lots of pockets for gear. 800 of them are on the way from the manufacturer!

IMG_0926_zpsw8qp63dm.jpg

We received 61 applilications the past two days. That puts the shooter count right at 600. Still 200 spots opens so keep those applications coming in!!!

All of the categories have the required minimum number of shooters except for:

Lady Frontier Cartridge Duelist ---- 2

Lady Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter -- 1

Patronette ------ 0

It takes a minimum of 3 to honor a ladies category.

Singin' Sue - I had met you before in passing at the CO State match a few years back in Grand Junction.

And yes, we had a ball on our posse. I need to re-watch Galaxy Quest before WR this year so I can have a bunch of starting lines ready to go!

NEWS FLASH!!!!

Winter Range has been full at 792 shooters since mid-December. We have been moving people off of the waiting list onto the main match as we have received cancellation notices. Even so we still have over 60 people on the waiting list. After a lot of discussion the board has decided to add one shooter to each posse in order to try and accomodate as many shooters' desire to shoot the match as possible. That brings Winter Range up to 828 shooters. If any other cacellations are received we will notify any remaining applicants as soon as possible that there is a vacancy. Thanks to everyone for your continued support. I will post some photos of yesterday's work party (January 30) in a few hours.

NEWS FLASH!!!!

Winter Range has been full at 792 shooters since mid-December. We have been moving people off of the waiting list onto the main match as we have received cancellation notices. Even so we still have over 60 people on the waiting list. After a lot of discussion the board has decided to add one shooter to each posse in order to try and accomodate as many shooters' desire to shoot the match as possible. That brings Winter Range up to 828 shooters. If any other cacellations are received we will notify any remaining applicants as soon as possible that there is a vacancy. Thanks to everyone for your continued support. I will post some photos of yesterday's work party (January 30) in a few hours.

You can put Deuce on our posse. 16 seconds a stage won't slow us down much :D

Seriously - Thanks for trying to accommodate as many as you have. This will be one for the books!

CR

If my math is righ several shooter may not get the shooter bag offered. I'm going to bet they will be the ones that deserve them the most the workers and committee members

Lots of special stuff coming for the 25th. Just got this from Taylor's. They are having Uberti run off a batch of Winter Range rifles. The serial numbers are supposed to be WRXXX. The rifles will be 20" Border rifles with straight stocks. Calibers .357 or .45. The barrel, lever, trigger, butt plate, etc., will be their normal blue or CCH. The receivers will be in the white. Should make a nice looking combination. I don't have a price right now, but you can call Taylor's and get the details. http://www.taylorsfirearms.com If all goes as planned the rifles should be available for delivery at Winter Range.

FINAL_WR_sideplates_zpsp05r3xdk.jpg

All 73s no other models I take it?

I'm wanting 66 or 60 in 38/357 for frontiersman so the 73 will be paired with the S&W copies or a Marlin 38spc cowboy deluxe model.

All 73s no other models I take it?

I'm wanting 66 or 60 in 38/357 for frontiersman so the 73 will be paired with the S&W copies or a Marlin 38spc cowboy deluxe model.

I don't think the '60 was ever made in 38/357.

After a lot of discussion the board has decided to add one shooter to each posse in order to try and accomodate as many shooters' desire to shoot the match as possible.

The currently posted "Who's coming" list is as of late December. Do you know if anyone is going to update it between now and the match?

Thanks again for all your hard work.

If my math is righ several shooter may not get the shooter bag offered. I'm going to bet they will be the ones that deserve them the most the workers and committee members

We are ordering more Silver Jubilee range bags. Hopefully they will arrive in time but either way everyone will get one.

Update 2/11/2016 We received 40 more bags so no waiting for anyone.

IMO I think winter range is the largest match regularly, EOT has a slump in attendance for a few years but I think it's coming back. Besides the milestone year matches I think if the work that Larsen has shown that went into getting WR ready this year is madding. I used to volunteer to help setup WR for a couple of years before my health got in the way. They show the workers a good time and let them know they are appreciated. Back many years ago before the wb started loosing members I helped out at the matches at founders ranch. Until one individual made me regret volunteering but he was shortly let go after that event. But if I was able I would help WR setup. I actually thought of offering to be a gofer in my utv if they could use me but I'm going to try and shoot fire and ice so that prevents me fromvolunteeriy as I've gonna use it as my warm up test match to see if I'm able to shoot and move. Plus get my setup for my support vehicle right. Nothing like wishing you had this or that when trying out something new. My support vehicle is a Polaris ranger mid size pulling a rugged gun cart. The rugged gun cart will have what I need on the stage the utv will have the extra items that you might need like rain gear, tools etc.

The currently posted "Who's coming" list is as of late December. Do you know if anyone is going to update it between now and the match?

Thanks again for all your hard work.

I am sure they will, but the list will change daily from here on out.

We are ordering more Silver Jubilee range bags. Hopefully they will arrive in time but either way everyone will get one.

WR is always a first class operation! Can't wait.

CR

Well I wasn't sure if we were going to be able to make it, but we decided damn the torpedos and full speed ahead!

So now I'm starting to get excited!

Three weeks from today will be main match day 2!

I guess maybe I should check the ammo cabinet and make sure I have enough...

Three weeks from today will be main match day 2!

And two weeks from yesterday my travelin' partner and I are leavin' for Arizona to shoot Fire & Ice then Winter Range. Too much fun!!! :D

And only 12 days before the Arizona Territorial Rangers and the Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders (the Board) will be elbow deep in setting this match up for y'all! Got cabin fever, want to get out and do something? Come on out anytime starting Wednesday 2/17 and lend a hand getting this match setup. Why not start your Winter Range experience early?

We are lookin' forward to hosting all you cowboys, cowgirls, pretty ladies, and not so pretty bandits. Welcome to Winter Range 2016, our Silver Jubilee!

Everyone is getting excited. The first vestige of a new Winter Range is the setup of the main tent and the vendor village. The big top is up and the first sections of what will become a huge vendor village have been laid out on the ground. Ben Avery is an active shooting range. There was an sihoulette match going on today with shooters' cars and their RVs parked in what will be part of the vendor village. Winter Range does not have possesion of the ranges and shooting will continue in the various bays until Wednesday, February 17. Starting early in the morning of the 17th trailer loads of targets, fronts and decorations will start moving towards their bays!!! It is amazing every year people that are camped on the range (or driving by) walk up and ask if they can look at the stages. Many think Winter Range is a permanent facility. When we tell them we are building Winter Range and there aren't any stages to look at yet, many go get their work gloves and lend a hand!!! Here are the first photos of what will soon be Winter Range 2016. YeeHaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0988_zpsjstdvzmr.jpg

IMG_0989_zpsclxuygau.jpg

Are you sure Joe?

It still says 12-28-15.......???

Never mind it just updated.....

For those of you that visit the site regularly - sometimes you need to refresh to dump the cached page and reload it. That's true for most sites.

Archived