SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2016 - It's Coming FAST!

The wire wouldn't let me post more than a few pictures, so we continue -

There are new "expediter" boxes for each stage and each one had the Winter Range intials hand painted on them.

P1030028_zpsgjshhmti.jpg

ALL of the target bases were give a coat of flat black so they will look nice at the start of the match. The actual target portions will get a coat of color at a later date.

P1030034_zpsd8nwqwv9.jpg

Meanwhile over at the saloon some fresh damage was discovered. The saloon was repainted a few weeks ago and all the trim finished just a few days ago.

P1010768_zps7dbq7cwy.jpg

Apparently on Saturday (the day before these pictures) a group was using the saloon and manged to put a few holes in it.

P1030030_zpspqnz0bry.jpg

P1030031_zpsvrrpxgnh.jpg

One guy was so proud of his shot his friends left his name behind!

P1030032_zpsbcfbpbgy.jpg

Someone also got a little gung ho and had a minor accident with their shotgun (at least we hope it was an accident).

P1030019_zpsubm1vfkj.jpg

So, two new shelves were built for the saloon.

P1030017_zpsi11xrh8w.jpg

Given the angle of the holes what the group or shooter was doing was standing on the front poarch and shooting from one window diagonally through the building out the other side of the saloon. Ben Avery took some photos and will check their shooter logs to see if they can determine who did the deed. In the meantime its time for some plastic wood, primer and a new coat of paint in the afftected areas.

Even a few more prop building were built just to make sure the range will dazzle all the shooters and the thousands of visitors that attend the match.

P1030016_zpsoaqlxjgl.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a who's coming list posted on the Winter Range web site. http://www.winterrange.com On the home page there is a group of boxes in the middle of the page. The link for the shooter list is in the right hand box. The match is sold out at max capacity (792 CAS shooters and 125 WB shooters) and there are 40+ on the waiting list. All the categories except one (Patronette) are filled with sufficient shooters. Shooters are coming from 44 states and 9 foreign countries. There should be 90+ vendors and there will be some really nice Silver Jubilee prizes for the shooters.

Edit. It looks like two slots have opened up for WB. So if you want to shoot WB call registration.

uncle-sam-we-want-you_zpssqg8mulz.jpg

Everything is filled to capacity so we NEED more volunteers for the Wednesday side matches. Wednesday is THE busiest day of the match. There are the warm-up matches, side matches (that span over a mile of the range) the swap meet, the opening ceremony, free shooter food and fireworks when it gets dark (a little after 6:00 pm). We are still in need of at least 20 more volunteers to help run the side matches. Each shift is only a couple of hours long and most people have a lot of fun working with their fellow shooters. If you can spare a couple of hours (AM shift, noon shift or PM shift) send me an email wnordwall@cox.net or send a PM.

THANKS in advance.

Is there a Wild Bunch shooters list somewhere? thanks

No. They are on the master shooting list. After the match we always solicit comments. Put that in your comments on the match and we will see if it can be done for 2017.

Four of us always go to the SHOT Show (which is this week) to look for new sponsors and vendors and to thank the ones we already have. I will try to take some photos of things that may be of interest to cowboy shooters.

Four of us always go to the SHOT Show (which is this week) to look for new sponsors and vendors and to thank the ones we already have. I will try to take some photos of things that may be of interest to cowboy shooters.

If you see Wolf Bane and Indiana Jackson them them howdy from me and give her a hug from me. Ain't seen them in ages.

Larsen,

Can you tell me if and when you will be posting a posse list and is there a charge for dinner on Wednesday night ? Looking forward to my first Winter Range. Thanks.

Irish Tom.

The dinner on Wednesday is complimentary. Posse lists are generally not posted on the website. They are posted on the bulletin boards at the match.

The dinner on Wednesday is complimentary. Posse lists are generally not posted on the website. They are posted on the bulletin boards at the match.

Thank you for the quick response. Looking forward to Winter Range.

Irish Tom.

Is there a safety meeting before each wave of the warm-up match, or is the one at 7:30 AM on Wednesday the only one? I'd hate to have to get up that early if I don't have to... :D

Is there a safety meeting before each wave of the warm-up match, or is the one at 7:30 AM on Wednesday the only one? I'd hate to have to get up that early if I don't have to... :D

Just go to the webpage and look at the schedule. http://www.winterrange.com

The Wednesday safety meeting is for the warm-up and side matches. There is a safety meeting before each wave for the main match on Thursday.

Just go to the webpage and look at the schedule. http://www.winterrange.com

The Wednesday safety meeting is for the warm-up and side matches. There is a safety meeting before each wave for the main match on Thursday.

I did, that's why the question came up. :) As I said, I'd hate to get up that early if I don't have to, but I guess I have to... :D

Thanks, Larsen!

I'm looking for 2-3 Wednesday volunteers who have experience scoring Trap or Skeet. I should be set on the Sporting Clay range although additional help is always welcome. The time would be from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm although it I have enough help I can build a shorter time schedule and split the hours up for those that want to shoot some of the other side matches that day.

You will be given enough time to shoot the clay events If desired.

If you are already on the volunteer list please make your request to help at the clay range directly to 9 Toe Joe. If you are not already signed up to volunteer that day you can PM me directly and I'll work with you on a schedule.

As a note to those shooting these events: ONLY SASS Cowboy Action legal shot guns are approved to shoot in either the smokeless or black powder categories. Yes this means a '97 can be used in the black powder categories. This special rule was established from the beginning of WR when Old Deadeye and JB Fast were running this side match.

Please don't bring non SASS CAS shotguns out to compete with such as those that are ONLY OK to shoot in SASS Wild Bunch. The SASS Wild Bunch National Championship finishes on Tuesday, the SASS Cowboy Action Shooting National Championship starts on Wednesday.

Thanks to those who have already volunteered and especially the folks that come out each year to shoot the clay events. We keep getting more and more shooters every year as the word gets out as to where and when we shoot these events. On that note the Clay range is located West of the main WR event area. Drive that direction on the black top taking the turns as needed and follow the signs. We are scheduled to be on the first couple of ranges on the right as you enter the Clay area. Just look for the smiling faces under the cowboy hats. Also you do not have to be pre registered to shoot these events. Just show up with the appropriate US dollars and we will sign you up that morning at the clay range. The schedule for shooting will be listed in your handbook.

Elliott James

I just picked up 2 volunteers for skeet scoring even though they are on the waiting list for the main match and might not get to shoot it. What a great bunch of cowboys we spend time with.

EJ

The work is going on at a fever pace. The awards are still coming in and even when they come in there is still a lot of work to be done. Most of the trophies have bases but Winter Range adds walnut bases to bring them up to Winter Range standards.

The bases are made by a board member up in Chino Valley (north of Prescott, Arizona). Raw walnut is cut, trimmed and stained to fit the various size trophies. When they are done they are boxed and driven down to Phoenix.

IMG_3581_zpsadgj74xi.jpg

IMG_3582_zpsmy2rqwoa.jpg

IMG_3584_zps0mzbevwi.jpg

IMG_3585_zpsvwjh9has.jpg

Meanwhile down in Phoenix each of the more thann 250 awards gets some finishing touches. Our awards coordinator has MANY hours of hand work invested in each trophy. For example each of the Wild Bunch trohpies has three brass cartridge cases attached to look like ejected cases. Each case is hand polished then sprayed with clear laquer so they don't tarnish. Then a flat and hollow spot are ground and filed on certain places so they can be glued together and attached to the trohpy base. Next the winners information will be attached to the large empty spot on the left and then the whole trophy will be attached to a walnut base.

P1030041_zpsgqmaxaht.jpg

P1030042_zpsxjpcl1f6.jpg

Dozens of 2nd through 5th place trophies await their name tags and walnut bases. In the background of the completed 1st Place Reminton bronzes reboxed and ready for their trip to the range.

P1030045_zpsb3psu7i9.jpg

P1030047_zpsgj10qipb.jpg

In the next few weeks there are still hundreds of items to be done in preparation for set-up. Ben Avery is a large active range and shooting goes on right up until the time set-up begins. This year set-up will start on Wednesday, February 17, and thousands of items will be hauled to the range to transform empty bays into Winter Range!!! After years of planning and practice set-up normarlly takes four days with a halfday left over for the beautification committee. This is the group that goes out after set-up and touches up scratched paint and takes care of the little details that make the match a shooter wonderland. I hope all of you are as excited as we are about Winter Ranges's Silver Jubilee.

P1020042_zpsp1zuuqx3.jpg

Larsen,,

Let's not forget those who tolerate all this so well --- the wives of the award makers. :)

I know The Blue Ridge Rascal's wife, I. B. Spensive, tolerates half of her house being converted to award work-space for weeks --- as can be seen in the photos. :)

I know the Blue Ridge has a work shop but his supervisor allows him to come in the house where it is warm -- lest he might whine and cry :lol:

I also noticed, in the pictures, that he is supervisor now allows him to use sharp tools. :lol:

Thanks to all the supervisors --- many of whom are also Winter Range Rangers and volunteers. :wub:

Larsen,,

Let's not forget those who tolerate all this so well --- the wives of the award makers. :)

I know The Blue Ridge Rascal's wife, I. B. Spensive, tolerates half of her house being converted to award work-space for weeks --- as can be seen in the photos. :)

I know the Blue Ridge has a work shop but his supervisor allows him to come in the house where it is warm -- lest he might whine and cry :lol:

I also noticed, in the pictures, that he is supervisor now allows him to use sharp tools. :lol:

Thanks to all the supervisors --- many of whom are also Winter Range Rangers and volunteers. :wub:

She makes him leave the plastic cover on the Xacto knife. :wacko:

Thanks for the update and all the hard work you folks are putting in on all of this. I am already excited about the match I don't know if I can take a whole nother month of this nasty cold Michigan weather.

Best regards,

Chili

I did, that's why the question came up. :) As I said, I'd hate to get up that early if I don't have to, but I guess I have to... :D

Thanks, Larsen!

I think you are confusing the side matches with the main match. Side matches have their own safety meeting. Each of the three waves for the main match have a safety meeting.

Is there a Wild Bunch shooters list somewhere? thanks

There you go. I asked Joe if a list can be posted and it is up on the WR webpage. How's that for customer service!

I think you are confusing the side matches with the main match. Side matches have their own safety meeting. Each of the three waves for the main match have a safety meeting.

No sir, not confused a bit. I was just hoping that on warm-up day there was more than one safety meeting. Hope springs eternal, eh? :D

I think what Charlie MacNeil was getting at was that if you were going to only shoot something later in the day like Warm Up Stages - Wave 3 at 2 pm on Wednesday, it wasn't terribly convenient to come to a 7:30 am Safety Meeting especially if you had a ways to travel.

Here is one of the special prizes we will have at Winter Range. Bob Mernickle sent some photos of the custom rig he is making for WR. The emblems are sterling silver and there will be a matching belt as soon as the winner's waist size is determined. A thousand dollar+ rig!!!

Mernickle%20holster%202%201_zpsnsfmahfv.

Here is one of the special prizes we will have at Winter Range. Bob Mernickle sent some photos of the custom rig he is making for WR. The emblems are sterling silver and there will be a matching belt as soon as the winner's waist size is determined. A thousand dollar+ rig!!!

Mernickle%20holster%202_zpsh8nalonx.jpg

Not a problem, Larsen. It's 40" for the belt. Just go ahead and send it to Boggus Deal....

That's right pretty!!!!

My weight has been going up and down like a Yo-Yo. So I had Bob make my new shotgun belt with two buckles. That worked great so I'll have to order that new silver clad belt with two buckles. I'll even pay for the extra buckle!

I would say my waist size but I'm not likely to win anything the way I'm moving. I not as mobile as I was at the last EOT more like the one prior. I bet I'll be laid up for a week when I get home if I'm able to drive home after WR. If not will need to find a spot for the mph and trailer. It might be nice to stay in the new used Seneca. But I think I'll be heading to ABQ for Phoenix to see the surgeon for a check up if I remeber correctly. I might stop by here and drop the trailer off or I might take 25 up to ABQ I doubt I'll go the northern route this time of year.

Well seeing as how all you fellers seem to really want it, I'll auction it off after I win it. Bidding starts at a Johnny Meadows SKB and goes from there.

Larsen, a couple of questions....

Any thoughts of making a vendor map to put in the shooter bags? It would help some of us find vendors we want to visit without having to walk the whole circuit, or try to remember where we saw them the previous day.

Second, would there be a problem wearing a modern knee brace on the outside of my costume pants? Arthritis seems to have attacked me and I don't trust the knee and don't want anyone to have to carry me off like they did that feller formerly known as Philly Slim.

Archived