SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2016 - It's Coming FAST!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunshine Kay has been very busy today, #538 for the Judge.

It's going to be a great time.... :):):):):):):lol::lol::lol:

I'm in! 594. Filling up.

I have my space at the Range, so it is good thing that I got my registration in on time.

Kay appears to be working over time to get everything caught up.

See you in February!

NN

Oh dear, hope the other stages are not like that???

We're at 617 & 618. Don't know exactly where the cut off is but I believe we're getting close. Missed it last year due to a schedule conflict. Really looking forward to it this year.

Help!

The Silver Jubilee is well on its way to being filled to its max capacity of 792. The rate of registrations is up by almost 30% from the same time last year. However, the number of volunteers for the Wednesday side matches is down. If you would like to spend a couple of hours on Wednesday working with your fellow shooters let me know or make sure to check the volunteer box on the application form. It literally takes 100 volunteers to run the side matches. Thanks cowboys and cowgirls.

Yeahaw Granny One Shot and I got our confirmation numbers. I'm 601 and she is 602. When my application got returned saying there was no such address I was afraid we might not get back in in time. A great big thanks to Sunshine Kay for helping us out. She's one awesome lady.

Grey Beard

Help!

The Silver Jubilee is well on its way to being filled to its max capacity of 792. The rate of registrations is up by almost 30% from the same time last year. However, the number of volunteers for the Wednesday side matches is down. If you would like to spend a couple of hours on Wednesday working with your fellow shooters let me know or make sure to check the volunteer box on the application form. It literally takes 100 volunteers to run the side matches. Thanks cowboys and cowgirls.

Hey Folks.....

The HELP cry from Larsen is timely! We depend on our Wednesday volunteers to run some of the side matches. We could really use your help for just a couple hours on the Wednesday before the Cowboy match. Please give us a hand by indicating on your app that you can help out on Wed, or by email us directly....we will forward it on to the Volunteer Coordinator.

I thank you all in advance!! Looking forward to seeing you all there.....

I'm going to be out of pocket until mid-December and a bunch of the Winter Range board is going to the SASS convention so there may not be any updates until I can get access to my computer the 15th or 16th of December. We still need volunteers so PM me with your information and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Winter Range has filled a couple of times by mid-December. We are ahead on the number of registrations from this time last year. So, hopefully, by the time I get back I will be able to report the match is full. The number of vendors is up from last year so everything is shaping up to be the biggest and best CAS shoot in the world. When I get back I'll post some updates.

The "blast from the past" stages are real interesting. Some bemoan the crawling under a wagon and lack of rounds/firearms per stage but what I noticed is that right from the start, we were making accommodation for people with mobility issues so everybody that wanted to could play.

Ladies....Be sure to sign up for the Ladies Clinic.

http://www.winterrange.com/DoilyGangClinic-WinterRange.pdf

Instructors:

 Belinda Belle

 Crazy Little Woman

 Dixie Bell

 Half-Hand-Henry

 Honey B Quick

 SASS Kicker

 Shamrock Sadie

 Whirlwind Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

my app goes out tomorrow!!!

A blast from the past. Probably took 30-35 seconds for each scenario.

Note the last Line of the Stage two scenario : "But now the horses are stirred up and you have to move about to get one shot off at each of the 5 desparados, who are lurking about between the horses."

Hmmm, would like to have seen that, sure sounds like run and gun to me :) -- but wife says I'm sometimes wrong. :lol:

Sending mine in this week. Still room for Vendors? Looking forward to my first swinger Range!!

If you are dragging your feet about wr or not sure if should go, go.I think this is the one to be at. WR is a great time in itself but think this year is going to be even better and special. The crew is awesome to work with, Blackjak, Larsen, Ninetoe, Hopalong Harry to name a few make this something to remember. This will be my third year as a ranger and look forward to it every year. If you can volunteer for wed it is awesome, if would like to be a ranger get ahold of larsen or ninetoe or blackjak. Do not kow how may needed still but you wil not regret it. My only regret is that cannot be there to help until in Jan. Do not miss this if at all possible!

Just got back from a little trip so I will start posting updates and photos again. As of today the shooter confirmation numbers are in the 750's and should reach 792 by Christmas. So, there is still room. Get those applications in. It also appears, if trends continue, that there will be even more vendors than last year. Another bit of good news. For the first time ever all the ladies BP categories have enough shooters to honor those categories!!!

Finally, we still need volunteers to help with the Wednesday side matches. Send me a PM or mark it on your application forms if you would like to spend two or three hours helping with a side match.

Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas. The match is full at 792. HOWEVER, keep those applications coming in. We want to try and actually shoot 792 people so as we get cancellations we will move people from the waiting list into the match.

We still NEED (please, please, please) volunteers for the Wednesday side matches. If you would like to donate a couple hours of your time to help keeping the side-matches moving smoothly and efficiently shoot me a PM. THANKS in advance.

Larsen

Yeeeeeeeee Haw indeed. With today's mail we are over 800 registrations. There will be some cancellations as the match approaches and we are hoping to have 792 actual shooters. Which means we will continue to accept some additional registrations and will move people from the waiting list to the match rolls as we receive cancellations. FYI, there are still TWO slots open for the Wild Bunch championship.

Now that Christmas is over it is time to clear away the funiture in The Blue Ridge Rangers house and start filling it with awards. The first box to be unpacked is the pallet of first place bronze trophies. The 35+ trophies weigh over 500 pounds and still need to have their walnut bases custom made and attached. Gonna be a busy next few weeks!

IMG_0968_zpsxjbtm7ph.jpg

The first place bronze trophies were tripple wrapped in bubble wrap and thoroughly wrapped in tape. They looked like turkeys! Each one had to be carefully unpacked to make sure they weren't scratched and to try and salvage as much bubble wrap as possible. After the trophies are unwrapped the walnut bases have to be attached as well as the name of the category and "First Place." Then they have to be rewrapped (without so much tape!!!) for their trip to the range. This year's First Place is "The Outlaw."

P1020046_zps4mleuthh.jpg

P1020045_zpsjd3ifzpc.jpg

P1020059_zps7kll2w3l.jpg

IMG_0969_zpsrhtzb5ig.jpg

Next up unboxing all the 2nd through 5th place trophies. These were individually boxed but those styroform pellets get a static charge in the dry Arizona air and go all over the place. They have to be put in large sacks and saved as the process for the 2nd through 5th place trophies is the same. They have to have their walnut bases attached and the category and place noted on each trophy and then reboxed.

P1020050_zps7v8gm3mm.jpg

P1020052_zpsedwdrbuh.jpg

P1020055_zpsl7myhs3j.jpg

Big work party this weeknd to start finalizing the props and cataloging what props go on each stage. The match is coming FAST!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

With 792 registered shooters and over 40 on the waiting list Winter Range is REALLY coming fast and a lot of Rough Riders, Rangers and volunteers are in overdrive trying to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. A few photos from this past Sunday's (January 10) work party.

People started showing up at the crack of dawn. Even in the desert it is COLD in the morning.

P1030002_zpsj0qlnsdu.jpg

Just in case El Nino intervenes with the festivities more boardwalk was built. There is now enough to cover all the stages.

P1030015_zpsal34jzv0.jpg

P1030011_zpscq9xn0uo.jpg

After all the additional boardwalk was built, it and new fence posts were given a dose of water seal.

P1030039_zpssvhv8y7h.jpg

Archived