SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2016 - It's Coming FAST!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Number 41 is me, looking forward to my third trip to WR, am hoping to improve upon my lackluster prior performances. Second was better than the first, so hopefully the third will be better than the second.

No matter what, it will be fun.

Sent mine in 2 weeks ago and now I'm waiting impatiently to get the invite letter so I can apply for the needed form 6NIA to bring my guns across the border. I'm sure it will happen in good time but darn I hate waiting.

Grey Beard

Sent mine in 2 weeks ago and now I'm waiting impatiently to get the invite letter so I can apply for the needed form 6NIA to bring my guns across the border. I'm sure it will happen in good time but darn I hate waiting.

Grey Beard

I forwarded a copy of your post to registration.

Only time I'll ever beat you Slick, I'm 322 and my wife Raven is 323. It's going to be a great Match, my favorite Too!

Lash Toru

I forwarded a copy of your post to registration.

Thank You Larsen. Sunshine Kay sent me the letters Granny One Shot and I need to apply for the form 6 so all is good.

Grey Beard

Larsen, it's not a fond memory but the Sunday it rained knee deep and cancelled three of the stages Iirc it was 2006. But I went back the next year and had a fun time for the most part. I showed up the next year but ended up having to return home with pneumonia. I don't think my schedule has allowed me to return until this year because of health issues even with the surgery last month I'm looking forward to hobbling through the stages like I've do EOT the past two years.

GreyBeard, thought you weren't coming, hope you put Burnt Bacon and myself to partner up on the posse?

I decided that cancer or not Granny and I are coming to shoot Winter Range. That means there will need to be an adjustment to my chemo regime and if they refuse to change it I'm coming anyway. I put down our regular crew of shooters on the application so hopefully we all get to shoot together again this year. I don't think I'll be setting any speed records but I'm going to shoot. I faxed the form 6 application away today so now it's just a waiting game to get everything back.

Grey Beard

We received 61 applilications the past two days. That puts the shooter count right at 600. Still 200 spots opens so keep those applications coming in!!!

All of the categories have the required minimum number of shooters except for:

Lady Frontier Cartridge Duelist ---- 2

Lady Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter -- 1

Patronette ------ 0

It takes a minimum of 3 to honor a ladies category.

Go ahead and change me over to Lady Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, Larsen. Way I figure it..may be the only way to beat Tbone is a slight "change"...it's all the rage.😜 May invite the newspapers & TV. Let Shootin Bull hold my parasol.

Hey I sent my registration in a week before Grey Beard still no letter so I can get my form 6 started..

And I will be in Uganda East Africa for a month before winter Range and I need to get my paper work

done faster than SOON...

Help would be welcomed ...

Jabez Cowboy

Go ahead and change me over to Lady Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, Larsen. Way I figure it..may be the only way to beat Tbone is a slight "change"...it's all the rage. May invite the newspapers & TV. Let Shootin Bull hold my parasol.

How much of your Bruce Jenner operations will be completed by WR?

Hey I sent my registration in a week before Grey Beard still no letter so I can get my form 6 started..

And I will be in Uganda East Africa for a month before winter Range and I need to get my paper work

done faster than SOON...

Help would be welcomed ...

Jabez Cowboy

I can't tell if this is real or in jest. If you are having a problem call Sunshine Kay in Registration and she will fix you up.

How much of your Bruce Jenner operations will be completed by WR?

How insensitive of you to ask... and these days 'identifying with <blank>' seems to be all the litmus test that is required.

I wasn't joking , and I thought I made it VERY clear that I needed the letter Pronto when I talked to her on the Phone ...

And yes I really do humanitarian work in Northern Uganda ... Last year 3 months , this year 1 month...

Jabez Cowboy

Jabez

Give Sunshine Kay a call and see if she can send you the invitation letter that she sent for Granny and I. She hadn't gotten our applications yet so no confirmation number but with the invite letter I was able to complete and send in the paperwork for the Form 6 nia.

Grey Beard

We have been having scheduling problems to do maintenace on some props since Ben Avery Shooting Facility (BASF) is booked solid for over a year in advance. During the week the number of shooting events is greatly reduced so BASF moved some shooters to empty bays so we could refurbish the saloon and fort. So, here it is Monday, November 23, 2015, it is sunny and 82 degrees and we have three groups of volunteers out doing maintenance.

The first shot is the group repairing and repainting the saloon.

P1010768_zps7dbq7cwy.jpg

The next shot is a group down at the fort. To get to the upper decks and towers a hydralic lift (on the right in the photo) was rented.

P1010774_zpsgosgabkr.jpg

Finally, another group was over in the main yard putting water proofing on the new board walk setions.

P1010777_zpsugy1jtkt.jpg

Work wil be going on for the next several weeks as Winter Range's Silver Jubilee is made ready for the shooters. As of this date everything is ahead of last year. I.e., more shooters and more vendors are signed up than at this same time last year.

Everyone keeps talking about the changing (aging) demograpics of SASS. Not so sure about that, but what I do know is that it use to take four of us four hours to put up a front. Now it takes eight of us eight hours to put up the same front. Must be because the fronts are getting older and the screw holes don't line up as well as they use to. :lol:

Larsen , is there a list going for side match help?

YES. Send me a PM with your name, address, etc and I'll get you onto the list. It takes 100 volunteers to run the Wednesday side matches. We are still looking for more volunteers.

A sad update about a long-time local attraction. The Buffalo Chip Bar in Cave Creek burned to the ground on Thanksgiving day (yesterday). I know some of you go out there to eat and the Classic Cowboys have met out there in years past. Larry from the Buffalo Chip was also our main food vendor and provided the Friday and Saturday banquets. Larry says he will rebuild and is hoping to have a temporary building up soon as he hates to have 120 employees without a job for the Christmas holidays. What is really sad is the fire is listed as "suspicious" and is being investigated as a possible arson.

My first time and I'm trying to talk a couple of pards to go with me.. Does anyone know, are there still openings for the main match and the Wild Bunch Match?

thanks

Yes.

We finally have all of the Winter Range shooter's handbooks. We got this by email, not real clear but pretty good. Shooter Handbook number 1!

20151127_111622_zpshztymkhd.jpg

We don't have all the pages yet, but here are the first two stages. One rifle, one pistol, no shotgun. Read um and weap.

20151127_111743_zpsc45vvong.jpg

We finally have all of the Winter Range shooter's handbooks. We got this by email, not real clear but pretty good. Shooter Handbook number 1!

20151127_111622_zpshztymkhd.jpg

We don't have all the pages yet, but here are the first two stages. One rifle, one pistol, no shotgun. Read um and weap.

20151127_111743_zpsc45vvong.jpg

A blast from the past. Probably took 30-35 seconds for each scenario.

Archived