SASS Wire Forum

Why is Hickok45 so popular?

Warden Callaway

1.6 million plus subscribers, 411 million views.

A couple of things I notice right off is that his video is kept simple. Mostly done from start to finish without editing. I pull up other videos covering the same topic and I'm blasted in the face by obnoxious loud music and wild graphics. I'm usually done watching in the first few seconds. Then the vedio is chopped up into many subliminally short bursts it's impossible to see any detail.

Hickok45 may mis-speak now and then but he has a well rounded knowledge of the gun he's reviewing and has done some research to add history and detail without overburden the topic. I speculate his years of teaching has built up his skills at explaining stuff. I've watched other unboxing videos where the person doing the review clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

I watched part of an instructional video on the disassembly of a cap and ball pistol. It was 18 minutes long. He kept rattling along - mostly off topic - so I kept fast forwarding. It was 9 minutes into the video - static shot of the pistol on the desk top - before he picked the gun up and knocked out the barrel wedge. And he did that off camera. Then he pulled the cylinder off - again off camera. When he said, "This is as far as I take them apart.". That's when I gave him the boot.

He is just a good guy from Tennessee and someone that you would be happy to spend time with. "Down to Earth" as we say in the South.

He's an outstanding individual whom is very interesting to listen to whatever he's conversing about.

He's amusing and puts on a great time in doing whatever.

JRJ

Mary watches his videos and enjoys them. He shoots steel that rings and gets knocked down. He blasts things like plastic bottles filled with soft drink. And she waits for the laugh at the end when they play the slow motion replays.

I have to admit, we don't watch many of the tactical reviews. I have as much interest in tactical as I am with a brick.

He is for real :-)

Down to earth real guy like you and me :-)

He is very knowledgeable and, when he misspeaks, a note is posted on the video pointing out the error with a correction. He often compares a gun to similar guns produced by competitors and gives you pros and cons for each. If you are on the fence, this enables you to make a more informed decision. He usually disassembles each handgun he reviews and reassembles so that you can actually see what he is doing. This is extremely helpful. Before I make a decision to purchase a particular gun, especially handguns, I check to see if Hickok has reviewed it. Overall his videos are informative and just plain ole fun to watch. He has the perfect private range. He does ramble a bit from time to time but most of his videos are excellent. All that said.....he is also a very humble, nice person. I met Hickok and his son at the NRA convention just walking through the exhibition hall and had my picture made between the two of them. .... they appeared to be very genuine folks and they are both HUGE.

He is cool and easy to listen to, never controversial or argumentative. Anyone who talks down the mans ability with a gun based on the fact that he is shooting a huge variety of recreational style targets better get off their high horse. Few self swollen yokels who are locked into the local this or that single style of match shooting will be as versatile as he is!!! Top notch entertainment for old gun lovers.

He's a good guy who supports the 2A and tries to be impartial when analyzing and demonstrating a product. I see him from time to time around the community where we live and he is really just a regular guy.

He's gracious and polite and you'd never know that he's an interned sensation from bumping into him at the post office or grocery store.

If you are curious about a gun he can teach you a lot. For me there are two attractions. First, he clearly enjoys shooting steel. Second, I am envious of his make shift range. Some people are just lucky. Most of his competitors shoot paper at commercial ranges. He shoots across a hollow filled with cool targets

Cause he's got a friggin awesome shootin gallery!

He comes off as he could be anyone's brother just having fun in the back yard. As mentioned above, he doesn't rely on slick entry graphics, dancing text and obnoxious music meant to attract 15 year olds who are out to learn about the latest fad.

I've never seen him too far off base on any subject he is talking about and would ask those who think he is way off base or often wrong to possibly post a link to one of his videos where he is indeed wrong!

He reviews all types of guns including CAS firearms. He has been a cowboy action shooter in the past.

Why is Hickok45 so popular?

It only takes a few rounds down range to make him chuckle. He just loves to shoot and passes on the enthusiasm to his viewers.

And he shares the same joy I have, blasting watermelons!

Must not be too popular, I've never heard of him! Now I'll have to check him out.

I had heard of him and don't particularly like him. But I didn't realize how popular he was until last week when I decided I wanted to buy a particular type of hearing protector from amazon and most of the top reviews mentioned they got that one because Hickock45 used it.

His videos aren't horrible, but I think he could use a little more editing. For instance, it really bothers me when he does something unsafe. I know we all occasionally do unsafe things while shooting, but he's making a video and he could easily set a better example by shooting the scene again when he does. Back before youtube changed things up to where you need a google+ account to comment, I called him out on a couple of things and he got nasty with me then deleted my comments. "I've been shooting for 400 years and I don't make mistakes blah blah blah". As you can imagine, that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Like almost everyone else, I am all kinds of jealous about his range. I also have to admit that when I've been looking for info on a particular gun, he seems to have some of the best videos. I usually only look for review videos if I can't find anyone who wrote a good article, but once in a while, I just have to see a gun in action.

• 6 months later...

I've enjoyed his videos for a few years now. For the most part, things he has liked and disliked about a gun are the same things I notice when handling one for the first time. I generally have the same preferences as he does except I'm not a Glock lover. Since I found out about him, I've generally watched his video before making a purchase due to the fact that my taste in guns generally align with his.

I actually enjoy the fact that he doesn't edit out his ramblings/mistakes. In my opinion, it keeps his videos on more of a personal, friend to friend kind of feel. I prefer that over all the tacticool, let's try "insert stupid, unsafe action here," loud, obnoxious videos that are out there (like the one where they shoot off thousands of rounds through an AR to try and make an uper have a catastrophic failure... not something I would attempt outside of a controlled environment).

It's like visiting a range with an uncle, father, or grandfather. That, and I'm jealous of his "compound."

Looks like he is a retired English teacher from his wiki page, which is funny, cuz English teachers are usually liberals.

I think that's more true of teachers that were "educated" (I prefer the term liberally brainwashed) within the last 20 years or so. Judging by his appwarance, he was educated more than 20 years ago. That and those wrong opinions probably weren't too popular in Tennessee when he started teaching.

1.6 million plus subscribers, 411 million views.

A couple of things I notice right off is that his video is kept simple. Mostly done from start to finish without editing. I pull up other videos covering the same topic and I'm blasted in the face by obnoxious loud music and wild graphics. I'm usually done watching in the first few seconds. Then the vedio is chopped up into many subliminally short bursts it's impossible to see any detail.

Hickok45 may mis-speak now and then but he has a well rounded knowledge of the gun he's reviewing and has done some research to add history and detail without overburden the topic. I speculate his years of teaching has built up his skills at explaining stuff. I've watched other unboxing videos where the person doing the review clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

I watched part of an instructional video on the disassembly of a cap and ball pistol. It was 18 minutes long. He kept rattling along - mostly off topic - so I kept fast forwarding. It was 9 minutes into the video - static shot of the pistol on the desk top - before he picked the gun up and knocked out the barrel wedge. And he did that off camera. Then he pulled the cylinder off - again off camera. When he said, "This is as far as I take them apart.". That's when I gave him the boot.

I've wondered the same thing for years.

He's ok, but I not my favorite. He's too general most of the time. My favorites are Duelist1954 (bottom dealin' mike) and capandball from Hungary. They do a better job with history as well as technical specifics.

It's fun to watch him ring the 80yd gong with 3" barreled pistols. :o :o :D :D

I think that's the secret of Hickok45's success - he's having fun, and it's infectious. With all the gritty "you gotta be prepared for the WORST or ELSE!" gun channels on Youtube, it's nice to see someone who's just put having a good time on a home range most of us can only dream of.

And that boy of his working the camera is as solid as a rock. I thought he was using a tripod until I saw him follow Hickok one day.

Whenever I take an interest in a gun I look to see if Hickok has made a video of it. I wouldn't consider what he does to be a review because he almost never mentions deficiencies, but I'm curious to see if it looks like it's easy to operate and shoot. 'Course Hickok tends to make it all look easy.

Archived