SASS Wire Forum

NIB SxS Shotgun

Bart Solo

We routinely spend over $2000 for a brace of tuned pistols and about the same for a slicked up 73. When it comes to shotguns we feel lucky to find an old SKB to have tuned. Are there any quality new SxS shotguns on the market? Is everybody content with low cost Steger that often aren't up to the abuse we inflict.

"The old SKB" does well by so many shooters because it was a real jewel and finely machined and assembled (except perhaps for the scalloped frame to buttstock surface). There really is not another newly built SxS that holds a candle to the Ithaca SKB design unless you are up over $3,000.

Why lament it - get the one that is known to work. And, yep, JM is a great resource and source for them.

Good luck, GJ

Well I like the new Cimarron SKB copy. Just under $1K from Johnny Meadows.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=506380254

I've been interested in those , waiting for more feedback from shooters

I have had good luck with my Wyatt Earp shotgun from Taylor’s.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/shotguns/wyatt-earp-shotgun.html

Opens easy and shells don't stick.

When I was laid up and confined due to Achilles tendon repair I decided to get back into building SKB's, found out I enjoyed building them again ,sold a number of them and as of today I have 11 race ready. Anyone who might be interested give me a shout, will be at Wartrace for the Tennessee State and also Givhans Ferry for the SE Regional

Well I like the new Cimarron SKB copy. Just under $1K from Johnny Meadows.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=506380254

I have never loved a gun more. It is outstanding and excelllent in every way. So far mine has had no misses in it...

I've been interested in those , waiting for more feedback from shooters

Get one while the gettin' is good. Soon as I get the loot I am getting a second one.

Check out the Yildiz shotguns, Academy Sports carries them. I got one several years ago and had Goatneck Clem slick it up. it is very well made and has been extremely reliable.

Buddy of mine got one of those from Academy and hated it. It stays home in the safe now. YMMV

Connecticut Shotgun Mfg. will build whatever you desire in the way of a M-21 Winchester, but be prepared to mortgage everything. :o -- GIT

If only...

You an still get a new SKB SxS. While not cheap, I believe you could buy one and get it tuned for under $2000.

Where?

When I was laid up and confined due to Achilles tendon repair I decided to get back into building SKB's, found out I enjoyed building them again ,sold a number of them and as of today I have 11 race ready. Anyone who might be interested give me a shout, will be at Wartrace for the Tennessee State and also Givhans Ferry for the SE Regional

Glad to hear it. Got an Ithaca SKB 200 used that purportedly you did and I sure love that gun. Great gun. I may be just an also ran duffer but it ain't because of inferior equipment...

I shoot a Yildez! Love it! It ain't stock! I do all the tuning and mods that make it CAS best kept secret. It weighs under 6Lbs and is a great looking gun with nice wood. You would not be happy with a stock gun as I put a lot of work into one for $150.00 bucks. Great value for $650.00 ready to race. kandtguns.com

I am a fan of the hammer guns and stumbled on a couple of videos showing one being examined for SASS use and it sure shined bright in my eyes. I think it was made in Poland under the name Pioneer(??) and was supposed to be action complete and designed specifically for the SASS shooter, high riding slick hammers and all. Seems the plug got pulled on the project before most of us ever even knew about it! Do not know if the ones from Cimarron can measure up to that Pioneer or not, seen a couple giving it a thumbs up but no real specs or evaluations have come to my attention?? What makes it hard is when a few post glowing reports and then you find that it is based on hearsay, appearance or adds photos.

I agree with the others.... I love my Pedersoli Wyatt Earp. I reversed the triggers but that was all I thought it needed. I also changed the bead to a bigger one. These photos were taken before I reversed the triggers.

IMG_0079_zps0d157a35.jpg
IMG_0080_zps8ca03a9c.jpg

Thanks Johnny, great photos of what I needed to see. A couple of questions, is this the same one that is referred to by some as the Doc HolidayModel? My old skin has gotten pretty soft over the last five years, can these hammers be palm swiped without the need for heavy gloves? Beautiful old coach gun look and thanks again.

Slowhand, I haven't seen the Doc model in person, but I'd be surprised it was a different model all together. I'm sure its the same gun with different etching on it.

I've handled a few of my buddies hammered guns and they have mine as well. Over all, mine is much easier to cock. Either by palm swiping or with your thumbs. The other guys have said the same thing. They tell me they want to be in my will..... :lol::lol:

I know they are expensive (I actually bought mine here on the wire over a year ago used) but they are worth it. The fit and finish is great and they work like a clock!

Thanks again, I am going to pull the trigger on something shotgun very shortly after Christmas I hope, med expenses are bogging me down pretty bad right now BUT I got the itch bad (uh figuratively that is). Any chance that a lot of sob stories might move that dream gun from one safe to another? :P:P

I am a fan of the hammer guns and stumbled on a couple of videos showing one being examined for SASS use and it sure shined bright in my eyes. I think it was made in Poland under the name Pioneer(??) and was supposed to be action complete and designed specifically for the SASS shooter, high riding slick hammers and all. Seems the plug got pulled on the project before most of us ever even knew about it! Do not know if the ones from Cimarron can measure up to that Pioneer or not, seen a couple giving it a thumbs up but no real specs or evaluations have come to my attention?? What makes it hard is when a few post glowing reports and then you find that it is based on hearsay, appearance or adds photos.

Slowhand Bob,

I have both the sxs's you mentioned. The Pioneer is an inch or so shorter than the Wyatt Earp. The Pioneer has a better fit and finish than the Wyatt Earp. The Pioneer feels more heavy than the Wyatt Earp. The Pioneer barrels are set wider making the mule ears set farther apart. The Pioneer has a basic blue/black finish while the Wyatt Earp has a fancier overall finish with color case. Both are great would not trade either.

M.M.

Thanks, this is more of what I would like to read before spending my short after Christmas savings. I have been searching what little is available on the web but can find little that refers to how long the Pioneer project will be shut down due to new factory contracts? It is also disappointing that the various company sites seem to put out so little actual information on their products specs.

... A couple of questions, is this the same one that is referred to by some as the Doc HolidayModel? ...

Yeah, Pedersoli Wyatt Earp (Taylors) and Doc Holiday (Cimarron) are the same gun.

Archived