SASS Wire Forum

Second Cutting

Bama Red

Here's what was happening at our place last week. I love to watch haying operations, and really love it if I can be involved. No, this wasn't me - we have a fella come each summer and get as many cuttings as he can. He gets the hay and we get our nine acres kept relatively clear. Beautiful!

I'm hoping for a third cutting, but it may get too cool for that to happen. At least that will give the critters some cover for winter and places to burrow for their dens.

This is the first year since we've been here ('09) that we've gotten a second cutting. We're having a minor drought, so a third may be out of the question.

I remember an old British sci-fi novel called "The Scent of New Mown Hay". Spooky little book!

http://www.valancourtbooks.com/a-scent-of-new-mown-hay-1958.html

I'm hoping for a third cutting, but it may get too cool for that to happen. At least that will give the critters some cover for winter and places to burrow for their dens.

We usually get a 4th cut, but it's only about half as much as early cuts. Sometimes if it gets really cold early, we get nada for a 4th.

As a boy in PA, I lived next to a stud farm, and all of the hay was baled in rectangular bales. One man could handle them, and they stacked securely.

I spent some time in Germany, where the hay was stacked in tepees in the fields; never saw if they baled it in some other form for winter storage.

I'm guessing that the round bales are a by-product of more mechanized systems...but how does a farmer handle bales so big? Do they leave them in the field, roll them to a barn, or have another machine to pick them up and move them?

LL

As a boy in PA, I lived next to a stud farm, and all of the hay was baled in rectangular bales. One man could handle them, and they stacked securely.

I spent some time in Germany, where the hay was stacked in tepees in the fields; never saw if they baled it in some other form for winter storage.

I'm guessing that the round bales are a by-product of more mechanized systems...but how does a farmer handle bales so big? Do they leave them in the field, roll them to a barn, or have another machine to pick them up and move them?

LL

Most around here do 3 wire bales. Some do the rolls, takes a special fork lift type tractor to load, unload and move them.

LL

I was in Bavaria in the 60s and saw round bales.

My kids laugh at me when we drive past a well established neighborhood and I tell them, probably for the 100th time about loading bales of hay on to a truck in that field there, before the houses were there...

Groaaaaaaaannnnnnnn!!! ;)

Archived