SASS Wire Forum

Which Short Stroke Kit for Uberti 66

There are basically only two sources. Cowboys & Indians Store and Pioneer Gun Works. They have "standard" and "super short stroke" kits. Anytime you reduce the stroke you have to increase the force needed to lever the action. The way this increased force is offset is with an action job, which includes tuned/lightened springs. If you are going to use the stock springs you are sort of defeating the purpose of a short stroke. It might be shorter, but it will take more effort to lever.

If you have never used one a 5th generation is quite a bit of change to get used to. A Pioneer standard kit will get you a decent amount of shorter stroke without having to learn how to shoot the gun all over again. Plus you don't have to get such a drastic tuning of the gun to still work well. Might be best to shoot someone else guns with both kits installed to get a comparison.

If you're going to install a short stroke, you should really look into installing lighter springs. Whisper springs have been great for my two 73's and my 66 and can get behind them no problem. Keep in mind that installing a short stroke kit reqiures fitting into the rifle. The lifter MUST be filed to fit and requires an understanding of how the action works BEFORE starting the process. Of you file too much, you will have to order a new lifter. If you are not comfortable doing some basic gunsmithing and you don't have the tools to do the work properly, have it done by a competent smith. improperly setting the lifter up will at the least cause the action to not function, at the worst will cause the tab on the bottom of the bolt to eventually fail and break off. The short stroke kits are generally more cartridge OAL sensitive too as they all "compress" the timing curve on the action.

I've installed two Pioneer Gun Works short stroke kits, one in each of the 73's. The first one was actually a used kit and I was lucky enough to have enough meat left on the lifter that I could tune it perfectly for the gun it went in. I've shot thousands of rounds through that rifle and it's performed flawlessly. it gets disassembled and cleaned regularly.

The second kit gave me trouble. The lifter cam flatened out, a sure sign of no hardening or a failure of hardening/metalurgy. When I contacted PGW, I was told the problem was my fault and they'd be happy to take more of my money and send me a replacement part (even though it was a common and known problem.) I repaired and hardened the part myself.

my next kit will be from C&I.

I just put an PGW super short in my 66 along with everything else internal including a coil spring mainspring conversion.

I have a 73 set up the same way. They're both 44 spl and work very well. The 66 has a smith shop carrier that runs 44 Russians.

Very slick. If you have basic tools and skills and can follow directions, it's all easy to do. Does require some time to do though.

I'm sure the C&I kits are excellent too, but like others have already cited, you definitely recieve full benefit from custom mainsprings and action springs. I changed out everything! Only thing Uberti is the frame, barrel and wood. Works great.

LS

Sent mine off to Cody Conagher for the Cody-Matic job. Uses stock parts just tunes them.... More then happy with it myself. $305 plus shipping with 2 week turn around and all work is guaranteed. http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/#pricing

But I have heard great things about the above mentioned as well... So really it is all up to you, doubt you can really go wrong.

Partial plus 1 to Deuce Stevens. When I was still in the business of building Competition toggle Link Rifles, my personal all time favorite SS Kit came from Ron Snover. The Rolls Royce of Short Stroke kits. Ron is also known as The Ottaway Smith. If I were going to put together

a Short Stroke Rifle tomorrow, my "go-to" kit would be from Ron Snover.

Coffinmaker

PGW Super Short Stroke kit...'nuff said.

Fillmore

Ron does not have a website but here is his contact info,

Contact Info: Ixl Enterprises (423) 234-0184 Location:
1245 Delta Valley Rd Greeneville, TN. 37745

A quick comparison

Uberti factory stroke = about 6 1/8 " stroke measured in standard SASS manner, i.e. 3" back of trigger -- not hardened

C&I 2nd gen. = about 5" -- hardened

PGW standard = about 5" -- I believe not hardened

Snover = about 5" (I think) -- hardened

C&I 3rd gen. = about 4 3/4" -- hardened

PGW super SS = about 4 3/8" -- I believe not hardened

C&I 4th gen. = about 4 1/8" (essentially 3rd gen toggles + a Colt McCallister/Cody cut-bend-weld type lever) --hardened

C&I 1st 5th gen. = about 4 1/8" toggles only (closed end lever-link slot) -- hardened

C&I later 5th gen. = about 4 1/8" toggles only (open end lever-link slot -- may or may not now be closed?) -- hardened

There are at least 3 other short stroke kits being used/sold/ or mfg in the US, ranging from 4 1/8" to 5 " stroke -- some hardened and some not

SASS min. legal stroke = 4 1/8th "

Your mileage may vary :)

If you're going to install a short stroke, you should really look into installing lighter springs. Whisper springs have been great for my two 73's and my 66 and can get behind them no problem. Keep in mind that installing a short stroke kit reqiures fitting into the rifle. The lifter MUST be filed to fit and requires an understanding of how the action works BEFORE starting the process. Of you file too much, you will have to order a new lifter. If you are not comfortable doing some basic gunsmithing and you don't have the tools to do the work properly, have it done by a competent smith. improperly setting the lifter up will at the least cause the action to not function, at the worst will cause the tab on the bottom of the bolt to eventually fail and break off. The short stroke kits are generally more cartridge OAL sensitive too as they all "compress" the timing curve on the action.

I've installed two Pioneer Gun Works short stroke kits, one in each of the 73's. The first one was actually a used kit and I was lucky enough to have enough meat left on the lifter that I could tune it perfectly for the gun it went in. I've shot thousands of rounds through that rifle and it's performed flawlessly. it gets disassembled and cleaned regularly.

The second kit gave me trouble. The lifter cam flatened out, a sure sign of no hardening or a failure of hardening/metalurgy. When I contacted PGW, I was told the problem was my fault and they'd be happy to take more of my money and send me a replacement part (even though it was a common and known problem.) I repaired and hardened the part myself.

my next kit will be from C&I.

This post peeked my interested and I went to have a look at the C&I store. If you get an aluminum lifter from C&I with the gen 5 kit does it still need filed/fitted?

Thanks!

DD

DD,

Sorry, but none of this stuff is "drop in"! :) It all must be fitted, bent, filed, or welded by someone who understands what is going on inside the gun.. :)

Just my personal opinion based on re-doing a lot of guns. ;)

DD,

Sorry, but none of this stuff is "drop in"! :) It all must be fitted, bent, filed, or welded by someone who understands what is going on inside the gun.. :)

Just my personal opinion based on re-doing a lot of guns. ;)

This. No one out there makes a drop-in short stroke kit. Since the kits change the geometry of the action, they all must be fitted. It's not a difficult process, but it does take patience to do it right.

Can I be the first to say how about no short stroke kit? I have a 66 and I can't imagine short stroking it. It runs great just the way it is. Then again, I am pretty much against them anyway. I feel like the short stroke kind of takes away from the whole purpose of having a lever gun in the first place, which is to look really cool cranking that lever. Now if I was amongst the top shooters, then perhaps that slight time savings would matter. But any savings I could possibly get from a short stroked rifle is negated by a single pistol miss. An action job on the other had, well that is a must in my opinion. I just had one done on my 73 by long hunter and it's like night and day. Every part just glides and all the clunkiness is gone.

I've felt the same way about it Redwood kid. I have some good springs in my carbine and it's smooth and fast. My Classic Cowboy category mates are going short stroke, that's why I've been considering it. Maybe I'll just have to beat them without it and remind them how they sold out t the peer pressure. ;)

I've felt the same way about it Redwood kid. I have some good springs in my carbine and it's smooth and fast. My Classic Cowboy category mates are going short stroke, that's why I've been considering it. Maybe I'll just have to beat them without it and remind them how they sold out t the peer pressure. ;)

Now that sounds like a plan. As for Classic Cowboy, once gunfighter style is allowed, I will be joining your ranks. It's certainly one of, if not the coolest, category out there.

I can tell you guys that I felt the same way until I put a short stroke in my first rifle. Once I got used to the change in lever position, I found I was consistently lowering my times so it made the work worth it.

Not everyone likes the short stroke though, and there's nothing wrong with that in the least!

Ron Snover /Ottway Smith makes the only kit I want to install. It's true that for best operation none of the kits drop in on a regular basis without some adjustment. Ron's kit is the best IMHO.

Ron Snover /Ottway Smith makes the only kit I want to install. It's true that for best operation none of the kits drop in on a regular basis without some adjustment. Ron's kit is the best IMHO.

What sets a snover kit apart from a C&I? I have never seen or handled one.

There is much more precision in the machine work and polishing of Ron Sonver's Kits. He also does CCH on the Carrier Lifter Lever. The fit and finish is superb. His kits are also Caliber specific. Different Carrier Arms for large bore and small bore. Very little fitting if any.

To realize any benefit from any Short Stroke regardless of manufacture, a carefully done action job is necessary. ALL the operating springs

just either be tuned or replaced.

In any case. The biggest bang for the buck to be realized is with a good quality action job and tuning or replacement of the OEM springs, which are better suited under a Ram Pickup. Tuning the springs also has the side benefit of extending the life of the internal moving parts by reducing unnecessary wear.

Coffinmaker

FORGOT; Ron Snover's SS kits have almost the same lever throw as a Pioneer Super Short.

Archived