SASS Wire Forum

THE SHERIFF'S GRANDSON: Comments here, please!

I loved the other Firelands on Belle Alley and I love this one. Hugs .You are in my prayers.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wa'l now thank'ee kindly!

Just had some Happy Birthday Cake and I wanted to sashay into the local watering hole this morning like John Wayne and quote the man with,

"Good morning, sir. Today is my birthday. Give me the best in the house."

I would have, too, but 'twas a girl behind the bar and likely she would have looked at me funny if I'd called her sir, and last time I tried to sashay I sideswiped the microwave stand and knocked off a bunch of stuff, so I just set myself down quiet-like and had a shot of Old Crud Cutter.

And a pretty good samwitch.

And some criss cross cut fried taters dipped in cheese sauce.

Erp ...

The Sheriff's Troublemaker has come to its natural end.

Do not fear.

Pale Eyes will follow.

Give me a day or two.

I too,in the past, have met with people (including educators) who thought they were more important than they actually were; this is not to say that they weren't important, they just thought they were more important ...

What will we do without Sarah?

Whattaya mean do without her?

(insert innocent expression here!)

Right now she's in another man's bedroom.

Ummm ... well, maybe not another man's bedroom.

He's nine years old, and she's trying to explain why she and his Mama look alike, and, ummm ...

Okay, it's a little involved.

It's also confusing for me at times.

The lad's name is Jacob.

That's good for the history and it's good for the story but I keep wanting to call him Joseph, and two kind souls were generous enough to whip me off a PM and let me know hey, fella, how many sons does Willamina have, and I had to OOPS -- edit! real fast.

I will admit that a nine year old mind is more flexible than my own ossified thought processes, and a nine year old can more easily handle what he's coming into than an adult, and of course some things are the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Like sitting down to bacon and eggs, pancakes and grits and gravy, and discussing with a kindred soul the great truth that terra firma was a lot more firma than the Old Sheriff's bones really enjoyed at the moment.

I shoulda known she wasn't really goin anywhere. And I love the challenge of trying to keep up with what's going on.

I look forward to each chapter and have even been keeping my wife up to speed on it.

Keep up the great work Linn.

I know, I know ... the CPR described is not as it's done today.

There's a sound reason for this.

Under stress we revert to our original training.

If I went down on a witnessed arrest I would perform CPR as I was originally trained.

In 1974.

As neither Willamina nor Will are current duty emergency medical personnel, their muscle memory would have been from their earliest and most intensive training.

(This will be discussed in debriefing.

Over nice fresh doughnuts from Grubbs Bakery just down the street.

She has a liking for powdered sugar stick doughnuts with white cream filling)

It's different.
No breaths nowadays.
We don't have to run a perfect strip on a Recording Annie to qualify anymore.

No more uber-cool double-flip of the two halves of the bicarb syringe like Johnny did on TV (we all wanted to open the bicarb so we could look cool doing that!)

Sacker-lidge, sez this ancient white bearded Dinosaur of EMS!

Sacker-lidge!

(sulks away muttering about young whipper snappers, hell in a handbasket and back in my day ...)

It's different.

No breaths nowadays.

We don't have to run a perfect strip on a Recording Annie to qualify anymore.

No more uber-cool double-flip of the two halves of the bicarb syringe like Johnny did on TV (we all wanted to open the bicarb so we could look cool doing that!)

Sacker-lidge, sez this ancient white bearded Dinosaur of EMS!

Sacker-lidge!

(sulks away muttering about young whipper snappers, hell in a handbasket and back in my day ...)

+1

• 2 weeks later...

The most recent entry -- like many others -- contains a weave of reality.

I remember shaking like the Old Sheriff described.

It's amazing -- once the situation is over -- how severe a set of "The Clanks" can be.

I remember standing outside a house after one situation, grateful I was skinny and my uniform pants were generous, so my shaking knees could not be seen.

As simple an action as inserting a fresh magazine in the handle of the Democratic Laundromatic becomes suddenly so unbelievably difficult right after both sides quit punching lead at one another.

There are moments in a child's life when reality hits them between the eyes like the noon freight.

It is genuinely frightening when a mere child sees the curtain rise on what could actually occur, and realize ...

... I could make that happen ...

and then realize ...

I almost did!

Nor does Marshal MacNeil recall the how and why of his and Dawg's association but it was long and fruitful...

Well, it's official.

That tale is ended.

I feel wrung out, kind of like a twisted up dish rag.

Willamina is gonna take a while to heal up and maybe I'd best leave the poor woman alone.

Between Richard settin' the stove on fire tryin' to fry up some hamburger meat, and a nine year old son who gets into two gunfights in the same week, she's got her hands full without my causing more trouble!

No, I reckon it's time to give poor Willamina a rest.

The Old Sheriff, now ... he's still fair game ... if anyone's interested.

She's definitely been through the fire lately!!! Great story Linn.

If you're up to writin, I reckon I'm up to readin!!

I'm not sure if know what to do if I didn't have your story tellin to look forward to!!

Never cut into a cryptic Bee Tree, mostly beech, they tend to hollow out in their old age, unlike me what just gets fat.

A coptic Bee Tree would be found in an Egyptian monastery, most likely, and I don't know if they have beech trees over that-a-way.

Likely they don't. Last bee tree we cut had all kind of initials jack knifed into its smooth bark, a half century's worth of initials, hearts and symbols.

A cryptic Bee Tree might be Russian, that sounds similar to Cyrillic, which is their particular alphabet, and while I don't know about Soviet beech, I do know they have either birch or aspen, maybe both. (I want to say birch for sure)

Maybe a cryptic Bee Tree would sprout of an abandoned tomb ... you know, a crypt ...

Daggone, wouldn't that be a spooky one! Bees guardin' more than their own!

(I know, I know ... two million comedians out of work and I've got to come along .. don't quit my day job ...) :P

• 5 weeks later...

A few comments on the current thread, with Willamina and young Jacob back in modern day Perry County, researching the Old Sheriff's

childhood:

There is a Paso Fino ranch above Athens, and it's beautiful, I've been there.

Sunday Creek and Monday Creek do exist and the reasons for their names, is accurately recounted.

There is a high sandstone cliff at BK Crossing, a man did fall to his death, his arms were compound fractured and he bled to death.

Just south of that is a community still known as Hatfield (population one), where Hatfield's Mill used to be, and the old coach road

winds down from the back bone of the ridge and yes, it was an old coach road.

Altier Brothers nearly lost their drill truck when they drilled into the old mine shaft on the Corning playground, just as

Willamina described.

Willamina's father is based on a real lawman, who was killed as described -- for real. I remember his death and it is not a

good memory.

Jacob's revolver -- Willamina's father's revolver -- is actually the revolver carried by the Rendville marshal. In real life,

he'd broken the main spring and took it to a local gunsmith. The smith quoted him five bucks for a new spring, which was too

rich for the lawman's blood, so a neighbor made a main spring out of a butter knife blade.

I was NOT going to write THAT into the story! I don't care if it is just an anemic little .38 S&W caliber!

Even the Perry County Sheriff is a man I knew, though his name is ... changed. He was a good man and I miss him.

More to follow.

Archived