SASS Wire Forum

THE SHERIFF'S GRANDSON: Comments here, please!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a recent entry to the Troublemaker, we have the German Irishman, engineer, who ate well indeed.

There's a reason I wrote that the way I did.

My fire department mentor was a Grasshopper Captain with FD Canton.

He worked the other captains' days off; he was therefore never at the same station more than two days in a row, he would grasshopper between them as need arose.

He was on a fire near a generous Colonel Sanders, and the firemen were kept supplied with hot coffee and fresh chicken, but the one fireman most available was the engineer, standing beside the pump panel.

Hoss said he had chicken bones scattered in the snow and a grin on his face.

The engineer ate well that day.

When the Sheriff looked to his left, it was because he detected movement.

The human eye is geared to pick up movement more quickly than anything.

Jacob came in with two prisoners ... one breathing and the other, not.

He discussed how the upright prisoner had better hearing.

This conversation is almost verbatim from one my best friend, who served as town marshal for a time, had when bringing in a prisoner.

Brother Beymer is the one who said "Come out so I can see who you is, or I will come in and see who you was."

The fact that he had an abbreviated twelve gauge in hand may have had something to do with the holdup's decision to surrender.

Oh, yes ... Brother Beymer was built like Jackson Cooper, and that model 10 Remington looked like a toothpick in his big mitts.

Matter of fact when I write Jackson Cooper, my late friend is the mental image I see.

• 3 weeks later...

Spliced in another memory.

It's Christmas Eve as I write this, and in the latest entry, the Sheriff's son Jacob took his boy Joseph, a shotgun, a saw and an ax, and went after their Christmas tree.

This duplicates what my father did with my brother and I, only he had the Damascus barrel double gun, I had the ax and little brother had the saw.

It was an impressive sight ... he'd proofed that old Damascus gun by sticking it in a tire, tying strings to the triggers, loading it with deer slugs, then stepping behind this enormous rock before going tug, tug.

The old gun showed no signs of stress after proofing it with slugs, so he loaded it ever after with the Holy Black and it was (and still is) his favorite grouse gun.

The sight of the tree he'd picked out, suddenly jumping up off its shattered stump, was most impressive to a pair of big eared lads, and I think it was Little Brother who opined at a later moment that it was a jumper tree.

We used to make faces in the convex mirror of those shiny glass bulbs ... another memory ... and the waxed linen string, tying the tree back to wire nails tapped into the walls ... yep, another memory! (One that came in handy after I married Rosalee, she had cats and cats like to climb, and, well ... tying that tree to the walls kept us from losing some antique, very delicate, hand-painted heirloom ornaments!)

Such memories! I remember coming home with wife #2 from Christmas shopping and walking into the living room to see the Christmas tree at a 45 degree angle slowly heading toward the floor with a large grey cat holding on to the topmost ornament for dear life. The cat's facial expression was priceless. Fortunately we had no heirloom ornaments so there was no loss, only a mess to clean up. The cat spent the next couple of days under the bed as I recall. -- GIT

GI Tarpicker, my first wife's cats were of the same bent!

I boxed up all my delicate antique heirloom bulbs and gave them to my brother, he lost every one of his delicate antique heirloom bulbs when his tree fell (no cats, just ill fortune)

The Previous Administration's cats also had an appetite for tinsel. Made for a sparkly litterbox.

This last entry, the one where the Blaze Boys get themselves in trouble (again), is based on an actual.

The culprit was a relative of mine, he and a compadre used a dump truck driveshaft instead of a length of pipe, they laid the ersatz firecracker over a log and planned to detonate it above a neighboring community, but it launched as I described ... the perpetrator of this outrage, rest his soul, felt every emotion I attributed to The Blaze Boys.

The other experiences described in that particular entry were also taken from real life, in one form or another.

Hugs ! Thank you. Awesome as always.I can not say how much I enjoy reading about the Firelands crowd.And dear sweet Dawg and Bear Killer.When ever you or Charley Mcneill write of Dawg or Bear Killer, I know the Legend of Dawg continues. I thank you I see a bit of WD in the story. This is a good thing.

Ok when do we see more adventures from Firelands? .

Hugs ! Thank you. Awesome as always.I can not say how much I enjoy reading about the Firelands crowd.And dear sweet Dawg and Bear Killer.When ever you or Charley Mcneill write of Dawg or Bear Killer, I know the Legend of Dawg continues. I thank you I see a bit of WD in the story. This is a good thing.

Ok when do we see more adventures from Firelands? .

(blush)

Thank'ee kindly ... glad you're enjoying it!

I am writing this very quietly, a sinus infection has taken up residence, a malevolent ninja snuck in and run a brass bristle brush up and down my wind pipe and an insane miniature miner with a full size 16 pound oilfield sledge is trying to beat his way out of my superofrontal plate (translation: feels like a dump truck run over me and backed up to see what it hit!)

Ok when do we see more adventures from Firelands?

Soon as the antibiotics take hold and I've got energy enough to sit up straight for more than five minutes, Carbon Hill is about to have some excitement.

Not that they really want it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thou'rt kind, GI Tarpicker, and I'm kind of fond of him myself!
(He's about to get all wet and kind of tired!)

• 3 weeks later...

My friends, forgive me, for I am suddenly old and decrepit.

This should be a temporary condition.

It also explains that 2.1 on the Richter scale.

You see, I was tasked with washing trucks at work (obviously a terrible waste of my skills, talent and certification, insert innocent expression here!) -- and when I turned from the wet truck to head towards its front bumper, my hind hoof caught in the broad base of a pipe jack and down I went.

Right onto a ten foot length of three inch angle iron.

Now the good news is, I didn't break anything, though there was deep bruising and most potent promises of "You'll regret this in the morning, fella!" from various and sundry sections of my long, tall and aging anatomy ... that pointed edge of the three-inch angle caught me just inboard of the left hip bone.

I'm lucky that it did.

I can get by with bruising.

Two fingers outboard and it would have hit right on the hip bone, and likely I would be writing something entirely different from a surgical recovery suite!

I'm going to get myself less stiff and sore just as soon as I can, but forgive me if I'm not adding to the Sheriff's Troublemaker for a day or two.

It hurts to move, it hurts to stand, it hurts to sit ... I've said in the past "If I had nothing to complain about I wouldn't be happy" ... well, right about now I should be overjoyed!

Now where did I put that heatin' pad ... ahh, forget the heatin' pad, I'll just pull up a hound dog.

Dog don't mind as long as I'm not actually settin' on him.

Linn the Moving Kind of Slow!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't limp too bad ... but I am appreciating more and more the resilience of the eighteen year old carcass I had a long time ago!

My most recent entry makes mention of the ladies of the bawdy-house moving into the firehouse bunkroom, and the entirely political reason they did.

This, again, is actual history.

I'd mentioned an old and dear friend, a grasshopper captain with the Canton fire department.

He's the one that described what I knitted into the story, with the Madam and the police chief and the working girls.

One firehouse in Canton was a horse house, tall and narrow, they used to have the firehorse harness suspended above -- so with the alarm -- drop the harness on the horses, tighten the cinches and go.

The bunk room was above this, and beside the horse house, was a ... whore house.

The chief used to breakfast with the madam, they were not only business partners, they were old friends; just like my recent entry, when newspaper and politician decided it was time to demonstrate that there was Concern for the Public Good and a Very Public Gesture needed made, he would tell her they'd bring the Black Maria around on a particular day, and the burned out girls that needed a vacation would be in the House to be very publicly (Speed Graphic cameras and sizzling flash bulbs and all) taken away ... while the other girls would be in the firehouse bunk room, never missed a trick.

A good time was had by all.

• 3 weeks later...

Short Term Emory, thank you for your kind wishes, and I am pleased to report -- not only am I well, but I have delightful news to pass along.

(No, she's not expecting!)

My beautiful bride and I went down to her folks place on the O-ho-ho River and guested with them over the weekend.

Friday night was Lodge Inspection and good old Corning 584 as usual did an absolutely sterling job of it.

My father and another good and dear friend were both presented with their 50 year pins.

We had current and several past District Deputies present, and we had a really good picture taken ... dear old Dad, the white bearded patriarch, in the middle ... flanked by two sons and two grandsons, every man Jack of us Past Masters.

I don't have a Photobucket or similar set up otherwise I would post a picture, but it's on my Facebook wall.

I'm the homely one that looks like he's ready to punch the camera.

Young man, next time yu decide ta abandon us fer that long, yu had better rite up sum chapters ahead of time and have sumwun post em fer ya....ifn' ya dunt I taint responsible fer tha riot that happens in here..... <_<:blink::blink: :blink:

(otay....mebbe I will be.... :P )

Calico Mary, I do apologize, the fault was entirely mine, and yes the news does tend to spoil my appetite as well.

I know I should lose weight but I steadfastly refuse to do so by watching the six o'clock blather.

I did hear a rumor, though, that Lady Leigh from Belle Alley might be joining my poor and pitiful efforts ... unclear whether she'll still be under that name, or under the currently known LadyPoleighNaise.

If she decides to jump in. I'm not sure if she wants to join in this level of happy insanity or not!

(Gotta watch out for those man eatin' office chairs!)

Welcome LadyPoleighNiase!!! This has been a great story. I look forward to reading Linn's latest entry every day. He is now one of my favorite authors.

I'm sure you will fit right in and bring some interesting things to the storyline.

ST

Geez, Linn! Oh my goodness ..... I dare say I can not write a follow up at present. This needs to sit tight for a time.

I do, however, want to tell you, as hard as it may have been for you to write, you did an exceptional job! Heart-wrenching .... we all knew it was going to happen, but to read it was as if I was right there.

Bless your heart ....

I was taught as an investigator -- and I learned the truth of it from many years behind the badge -- the best lie contains an element of truth.

As an author I learned early and well that the best fiction is bolted down onto a solid foundation of fact.

Too much of what I've written over the years comes out of first hand experience and this is an example.

Forgive me if I do not go into particulars.

I will make this admission.

In my books, and in other facets of the Firelands saga, I write of that pale-eyed woman with cold eyes, that descendant of our current Sheriff, and when I write of her wearing a tailored suit dress and heels ...

I have no first hand experience in that department.

I have to rely on a lifetime of observation and conversation with those who know such things in order to write believably.

(Translation: I draw upon a lifetime of girlwatching and flirting.)

(Okay, okay, girlwatching. I was never that good a flirt.)

(Yes I'm changing the subject. Some ghosts will rise from the grave no matter how deep you try to bury the body)

Linn,

I have enjoyed your other stories very much. You are a gifted writer.

And I am waiting a patiently as I can for this story's conclusion so I can read it through beginning to end none stop. I find that I enjoy the story more that way.

Thank you for making this available for us to read.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived