SASS Wire Forum

32-44 s&w

evil dogooder

What do the learned shooters have to say about these old rounds.

A fun shooter our a waste of time? There is an old one on gb that looks kinda cool.

.32-44, and .38-44, were two 'special' calibers chambered in the S&W New Model 3. The case was the same length as the cylinder and it delivers the bullet directly to the barrel. This was thought to increase accuracy. There may be something to this, as some accuracy records set with these revolvers still stand.

Now, .38-44 is just an elongated .38 S&W, and you can use .38 S&W ammo in guns so chambered.

.32-44 on the other hand, is a unique cartridge. It is NOT an elongated .32 S&W Long, for example. I have done some, very limited, research on the cartridge in case I ever decided to get a pistol in this caliber. As far as have been able to determine, there is no existing cartridge of similar dimensions as the .32-44, or that can be reformed into a usable approximation of it.

That being said, I'd be really shocked if there was not SOME way to make brass for it. If that can be done, then the revolvers chambered for it would be a lot of fun. I know this cuz I have one of the .38's.

Good luck with it.

Thought you may pop up bob. This might be up your ally just picked up a number 3 target. Nickle is rough but bore is good.

A search found a posting in the S&W forum with the following information:

Can be formed from .32-20 or .32 H&R mag, mag was preferred due to case thickness.

Some lkke fireforming, some used RCBS forming die at $150

Uses .320 bullets, 98 grains, not .312-.314 like other .32s

Thought you may pop up bob. This might be up your ally just picked up a number 3 target. Nickle is rough but bore is good.

Always interested in old Smith's. Good luck with it, The Smith Shop in RI is a great source for help and Roy Jinks the historian at S&W is a great source of info. Jinks has a couple of very informative books. I can give you Jinks email if you want.

The 32-44 held many accuracy records supposedly because of the way the bullets were seated. Should be a fun project.

Archived