SASS Wire Forum

Hoss

Shooter (me 😞) finished stage, shotgun in hand, muzzle up went to retrive rifle to go to unloading table. Tripped over a prop. Came crashing down. ( me not the prop) Dropped, certainly lost control of shotgun, but more or less landed on it. Muzzle most likely broke the 170 somewhere in the process, but came to rest just barely down range. . TO gave me a time, no penalty. I told him I thought it was a SDQ for dropping loaded gun, and/or breaking 170. TO thought it was a prop failure, and a no call. I pretty much insisted on the SDQ, was that the correct call?

If the gun remained in your hand is wasn't dropped. The key is if it broke the 170. If it did, then SDQ, but honestly, as your mind was racing as you went down, the TO was in a better position to see if it broke the 170, so if they didn't see it, then I would say no call. I am not sure if tripping over a prop could be called prop failure

Your info is confusing.

You stated you DROPPED shotgun. No doubt about it........ SDQ.

But you stated you landed on it. Did it ever leave your hand or did you have it in your hand when it contacted the ground? Probably a NO CALL in this situation.

But then you stated info about a dropped LOADED gun. Where did that come from if you were heading to the ULT?

If you dropped the SG, its a SDQ.

EDIT: If you tripped over the prop, what was the circumstances? Were you walking on a boardwalk and a plank popped up or did a board bust under your foot? I don't understand about the prop failure circumstance.

..........WIdder

Let me start by saying I hope your ok . The older I get the harder I fall . If the gun was within the 170 when you landed on it odds are it didn't break it . Also if your hand stayed on the gun then you didn't drop it . So did it leave your hand ? If not no call . But in no way from your description of the event do I see a prop failure involved .

Oops shotgun was definitely unloaded.

In falling, I'm reasonably sure I lost control of the gun. May have only fallen inches out of my hand, but I think I dropped it. Thats why I called it a SDQ.

Hoss,

The TO, spotters, etc...... can only call it as they saw it. If they called it a No Call this time, then its a No Call 'this time'.

Next time, they may see it different.

..........Widder

Let me start by saying I hope your ok . The older I get the harder I fall . If the gun was within the 170 when you landed on it odds are it didn't break it . Also if your hand stayed on the gun then you didn't drop it . So did it leave your hand ? If not no call . But in no way from your description of the event do I see a prop failure involved .

I agree prop failure would be hard to call. Poorly designed though! Funny thing is, I noticed the tripping hazard and accounted for it when shooting, but once finished, forgot all about it!

I'm 99% sure it came out if my hand, at least the last couple of inches.

And yes, falling at my age and size ain't fun. I'm getting sore just sitting here watching football on TV. I'm thinking by tomorrow morning I'm really gonna be paying for it!

As I understand SASS rules, IF you had any sort of contact,(hand, arm, leg, foot, knee, whatever,,,, before it hit the ground) with SG, then it wasn't dropped.. Funny rule, huh!

If no one SAW & KNEW the barrel broke the 170, then , NO CALL.

Did the 3 spotters,LT, ULT officers see anything?

you said the barrel 'most likely' broke the 170.... Sounds like uncertainty,,,, I don;t think the shooter is in a position to call a penalty on themselves. I guess shooter can suggest (ah, @*$%!) a penalty,,, and it usually seals the deal.

Since TO and the other range officers didn't see anything, know anything, hear anything,,, then I guess you are good to go! ;)

Can not blame this on prop failure. :D

Just my view from a hard saddle.

Hoss,

The TO, spotters, etc...... can only call it as they saw it. If they called it a No Call this time, then its a No Call 'this time'.

Next time, they may see it different.

..........Widder

I agree Widderborg...but to call a prop failure is silly.

If there's a hazardous condition - do something about it before shooting.

Phantom

I have a vid of me diving to catch a falling rifle, I looked up at the TO and asked, did I save it,,,, he said yes,,,, I had no idea, I finished the stage...

Hoss, sorry to hear about the tumle hope the hardware is all okay. Both you and the shotgun.

as far as the call, I don't think I'd argue a no call from spotters and TO. I While you were managing your elegant pirouette to the floor, they were watching for violations. gotta trust their call.

I did the same thing a couple years ago. Don't know whether or not I broke 170. TO called NO CALL and MD

reached down to remove dirt/grass from SG barrel. All suggested I clean SG before shooting next stage. Lesson: Pick up your feet, there are things out there that like to grab them.

Archived