SASS Wire Forum

Convince me

Jess Money

Been shootin All Brass shells now on to seven years, and will never go back to plastic. I can tailor my load as needed for the task desired.

Yep, it takes longer to load, but the quality product is worth the time spent.

And----------- the case's last a very long time.

​After bouncing my Posness warner off the wall a couple times,and losing more powder and shot to my bench and floor I sold that POS

Buying low noise, low recoil, AA is cheaper and less stressful for me

Scratch

The lead shot is the price killer!! Never buy shot at places like Bass Pro Shops or any were else that matter that inflates there cost of lead. Heck at BPS, shot it 55 dollars a bag! Get reclaimed shot locally or on line. I get my stuff from Badman Bullets. Bottom line. Shop around for cheap shot...

http://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/products.php?cat=Reclaimed+Lead+Shot

I load for about $5 a box of what I really like shooting or pay $8 for something close to what I want. But the main reason I started was I couldn't get the factory loads when I needed them. I really hate loading SG but it's a necessity.

+1.

At about 1,000 rounds of .38 sp a month, with new ammo costing about .25 a round and reloads costing about .08, I save about $170 dollars for 3 hours of work.

With shotgun the price differential for me is the same as it is for Most Wanted. I use about 8 boxes a month, so that's $24 saved, but it takes about as long to load those 8 boxes as it does the .38 sp. It's not worth my time so long as I can buy factory ammo. I do keep plenty of shotgun reloading supplies, just in case.

I can't get a load like mine anywhere. It's perfect! Plus I save at least $3-$4 a box on reloads. I reload the same shells over and over. When I shot BP, it was a must to reload!!! Now that I'm a dedicated smokeless guy, I love the loads I came up with!! International Clays, and 1 oz. of #7 shot. Perfect! ;)

Rye....I also use Int. Clays and 1 oz of shot....AA or STS hulls, gray wads and Win 209 primers. I tried to send you a PM to see what the amount of powder you were using but it said you couldn't receive PMs. If you have a chance please send me a PM with your load info.....I respond back with mine....just trying to see if the load I developed was pretty close to what others were using for the same powder/shot combination that I use.

Kajun

Yep, just what Anvil Al said.

Custom tailoring your loads and always having them available is quite valuable.

Especially if you practice. If you're set on buying, the low noise, low recoil AA's are the ones to get.

LS

Now I just buy them.....

I have loaded SG for years, 12, 20, 28, and .410. Used lighter loads for CAS that I loaded myself. Then I switched to slam firing the '97 and moved to the South where they use a lot of small lollypop style targets. Now I want factory hitting power. Another game changer for me was I sold my MEC Jr and bought a MEC 9000. Have never got the hang of the 9000 so it sits gathering dust. Really miss my MEC Jr...

I use my Bass Pro rewards to buy a case every couple months. So I get a case for free to a couple bucks a box.

Now for Blackpowder there's nothing better than a MEC Jr.

Now I just buy them.....

I have loaded SG for years, 12, 20, 28, and .410. Used lighter loads for CAS that I loaded myself. Then I switched to slam firing the '97 and moved to the South where they use a lot of small lollypop style targets. Now I want factory hitting power. Another game changer for me was I sold my MEC Jr and bought a MEC 9000. Have never got the hang of the 9000 so it sits gathering dust. Really miss my MEC Jr...

I use my Bass Pro rewards to buy a case every couple months. So I get a case for free to a couple bucks a box.

Now for Blackpowder there's nothing better than a MEC Jr.

Key Hay....I had the same experience with my MEC 9000....mine sits in the corner. I load with my MecJr and for the amount of shooting I do it fills the bill just fine. I shoot BP occasionally and its handy to be able to "roll your own."

Kajun

Jess I think you made the correct decision. If I didn't shoot bp from time to time and didn't already have everything including components I doubt I would get In to it. When I picked up my first SSD press used at a steel the components cost almost half of what it does now primers were under a twenty for a thousand and shot also was around a twenty per bag. Wads and powder haven't changed that much but the other stuff has doubled or more. I even found some bp shot shells at a great price last year and bought both cases he had in my specs. As long as I can buy the shells I like I will and save my components for when I'm not able to buy shotgun ammo. Always save the last box or more for reserves when the stuff is no longer for sale. My biggest problem is getting an inventory or what I have as I've been buying stuff here and there as I find it but I ve only reload 38wcf in the past few years but that's about to change when I get. My new bench setup. I'm in need of 38 soc, 38 WCF, 38-55, 45 colt, and 45 ACP plus 223/556 I've got some 22lr and 12ga both bp and smokeless to hold me until more arrives.

I ask this question every year. Then I do the math. Again this year I bought five cases of Win AA featherlites from Cowboy Shooters Supply. That is $8.50 a box out the door. Sent the rebate in and received $2 a box back. Now we are down to $6.50 a box. The cost for reloading will be $5 to $5.50 a box. Is it worth investing in a machine an going through the learning curve to save a buck to a buck fifty? Not for me.

If I wanted to add to the savings, I have saved all my hulls. If I wanted to sell them that would reduce the cost even more.

For me the $2 rebate is the key. As long as Winchester does it I can't see reloading my own shotgun shells. I just have to be ready to buy 5 cases every year while the rebate is on.

Archived