SASS Wire Forum

RATS! Did my wife ruin the snakes rattle?

Trigger Mike

I put the rattle (i first counted 13 it is actually 14) in a juice glass and left it on the counter under the spices. I intended to put salt to dry it out. My wife in her wage put the juice glass in the dishwasher and never saw the rattle in it. I went to salt it half way thru the cycle. I was found next the the hot ring under the part the spins the hot water on the dishes. Is it ruined?

Put the rattle in the bottom of a small flat bottom container. Pour a small pile of salt where the rattle was cut from the snake. The cover the rest in rice. The rice will draw the water from inside the rattles while the salt will dehydrate and preserve any flesh remaining on the rattle.

Had it not got such a through dunking I would use salt everywhere but there is a chance the salt might get wicked inside the hollow of the rattles and dry there. The rice will not dissolve in the excess water but will adsorb it.

Howdy,

Some restaurants use a little rice in the salt shakers to keep the salt dry

so it pours in the humid summertime.

So yes that rice will pull moisture if it can pull it FROM the salt.

Good luck with that.

BEst

CR

I think you need to tell Mrs. Trigger that she needs to go out and kill a rattlesnake to replace the rattle.

(OH, yes, don't forget to turn on your video camera right before you tell her that, we all want to see it).

Archived