SASS Wire Forum

might not be the same one but one rattle down

Trigger Mike

Along with the one on the other side of my pond in the back yard at the pond cabin I walked out onto my porch to eat a banana for lunch and low and behold heading right toward me is a 5 foot long, 13 rattle diamond back. He saw me and raised his head. My TTN loaded with Winchester #8 did a fine job. My dogs were sleeping under the bushes just a few feet away and never knew he was there.

Howdy,

A friend of mine had his place broke into. Dog never barked.

Dog ate dry food for a month.

Twelve or so guns taken.

Best

CR

What do you need fer the rattle?

serious.

Howdy,

I passed up the rattle on the one I shot pdawg huntin in the Dakotas.

So Ive been thinkin on getting another.

Yes, I would like it. Do they deteriorate?

I don't know thing one about em.

Best

CR

i took a smaller one off a 4 footer two years ago and it is still good. i usually cut it off one rattle up from the hide to avoid any meat or decomposing flesh from being attached. If there is a better way I hope someone will post it and tell me.

I wouldn't worry 'bout "decomposing flesh." Just cut it off... any tiny bit of skin that might remain will quickly dry.

They'll pretty much last forever. I know some fellas who like to toss one inside their acoustic guitar... they claim it does something positive for the sound. I think they're imaginations are a mite healthier than their ears. ^_^

Guest Grass Range #51406

Before you cut off the rattle put your boot heel on the head and cut it off and then get the rattle. I have had so many through the years I don't bother with them any more

Chunk that body up and fry it like a fish. Good eating!

When I was a teenager, I was out chopping cotton when a big ol' Eastern Diamondback struck at me. I swung the hoe and the snake's fangs sunk into the hoe handle.

That snake was so poisonous that the hoe handle swelled up so much I had enough lumber to build a chicken coop.

The swelling went down and squished to death all my chickens. :(

TM

I have no proof of this , but , I would suspect , they do NOT return to the main den every day

I have a place , out in the sticks , with lots of rocky out crops , lots of places for em to hide

I have released every black and king snake , I have been able to catch in town out there ,

city folks are afraid of em , to ME they are an ally .

copperheads and rattlers , get a load of shot if seen , expecelly the copperheads , rattlers are at least somewhat honest most times

CB

I have lived in the heart of the Ozark Plateau for all but 12 years of my life. This is copperhead country. I have seen one live one. I do see the occasional cotton mouth. I'll trade all the copper heads you can find for one cottonmouth. Those boys have a nasty temper.

I wouldn't worry 'bout "decomposing flesh." Just cut it off... any tiny bit of skin that might remain will quickly dry.

They'll pretty much last forever. I know some fellas who like to toss one inside their acoustic guitar... they claim it does something positive for the sound. I think they're imaginations are a mite healthier than their ears. ^_^

I've heard the same thing. Not sure rattlesnake rattles has any significant impact on sound but I do know an old Martin full of dust bunnies will sound better than a new one hanging on a store wall. My funky dust bunny filled old Martin sure does sound good (even when I play it).

Wonder how a rattlesnake rattle would sound inside a banjo? Hmmm.....

Archived