SASS Wire Forum

Lead bullets and Marlin Microgroove

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

I shot a 41 mag(1894 FG) for several years in CAS and never had a problem.

I'm guessing that 4 out of 5 will shoot just fine. The fifth will not group at all. Got one guy that had to have Marlin replace the barrel with Ballard rifling to get it to group at all. You might have to go with a harder lead alloy. You should definitely slug the barrel if it will not group. An option is to powder coat your bullets, which is SASS legal.

Buzzard

Why would BP make any difference?

Doesn't. That's what I used.

Doesn't. That's what I used.

So I'm not crazy. My son has been shooting BP in his .357 Marlin for over a year now and I never noticed any issues at SASS distances. Just went and looked to make sure and it is definitely micro-groove.

Why would BP make any difference?

I have seen the fouling with real BP build up, and the bullets 'strip' and not hold the rifling.

It has happened to me, and that is why I use my .44 Cowboy Limited with Ballard type rifling when using BP.

OLG

Keep your MV around 1K fps, and you'll do fine.

OLG

That should be no problem, I'll be loading a mid range load of TB using 44 Spec cases and a 200 gr bullet. Should be in the 800 fps range. This will be a load for my wife to shoot.

.357 Micro Groove, takes rifling just fine, accuracy is dandy as far as I can use open sights.

.30-30 is another story.

The same diameter boolit that cuts one-holers out of my Winchester spread out like a fat man spittin' watermelon seeds out of the Marlin.

I'll try a fatter boolit for the .30-30, last resort will be jacketed, of course not using jacketed for SASS.

(I ain't as dumb as I look. According to a dear friend, this proves the Lord is merciful!)

Amongst the list of SASS accomplishments that Misty posted was getting Marlin to make non micro grooved barrels. If they don't make no difference, can someone explain why SASS talked marlin into doing that?

Other than a lack of knowledge and understanding and too much misinformation out there, who knows? Between the internet and gun store commandos who don't know what Micro-Groove is telling people that it won't work with lead bullets, Marlin had to do something. However, all of their .22 barrels are still Micro-Groove. And 22 LR is lead bullets.........

Archived