SASS Wire Forum

Sass going downhill FASTTTTT

Coalman

Well I've always thought that the forum should be closed to posting by anyone other than a Current SASS member. Reading is OK.

Snakebite

I cud go for that,,,, and moderators only getting involved if some one reports a post....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is................

Which is................

For one thing they all turned into equipment races pricing new shooters out of the game

HTH, are YOU playing CAS? Has the cost of the equipment priced YOU out of the game? Which games do YOU play?

It's not considered polite form to rain on another person's game.

Well I've always thought that the forum should be closed to posting by anyone other than a Current SASS member. Reading is OK.

Snakebite

That would be a tangeable (sp) benefit for being a payed up member.

Yu pay, yu can whine.

You vote, you can grip.

Everyone else, bite your lip. :D

For one thing they all turned into equipment races pricing new shooters out of the game

HTH,,

Truth be known, only 3% of Participants of SASS shooters are really in the hunt... The rest are bridesmates to the event.

Will, dedication, talent, youth and 'financial' backing are key components.. Don't forget 'LUCK"

HTH, are YOU playing CAS? Has the cost of the equipment priced YOU out of the game? Which games do YOU play?

I did a quick check on Firearms America, A pair of Uberti revolvers runs a shade under $1000, the Uberti 73 adds another grand or so, a Stoeger shot gun is $400, with tax that's $2500. Add leather, ammo a gun cart and clothes and you are over $3000 before you fire your first shot. Could I afford that if I was just starting,no way could my son who is about to be a father hell no. Iv'e shot most shooting disciplines starting with Bulls eye pistol and Position Rifle in college, PPC, IPSC and so on and they all became equipment races and all are today a shell of their former selves

And what s really new about those new old west guns coming out beside a new name? A lowered hammer, different grip profile some very small change to get shooters is a saturated market to buy their product

But they are still building guns for our sport, and they only would do that if there is a profit in it for them. They must be selling enough to stay in business. Have you tried looking at the sunny days instead of waiting for it to rain? You must be a joy to be with on a nice day - always ready to remind us that the weather's gonna turn.

Lighten up and join us. One more member means it'll be that much longer before we disappear. ;)

CR

Im just a kid so what i say probably doesnt count for much. But this game will only die if we allow it to..to me this game is everything, i love it and have dedicated myselff to it very much. Im sure many of you and many more others have done the same and wont allow something thats so fun and brings so many people together as shooters, family and friends alike to die. Now as for clubs in Texas...THSS is the oldest club in the state. About 1-2 years ago i was for certain the club was going the way of the buffalo due to target sizes and distances. But as of this year the club has been bringing in over double the amount of shooters..and guess what?! Most of them are new to the game. There is youth getting into the game! I myself am mentoring a 9 year old who wanted to shoot cowboy action and he absolutly loves it. Within 2 weeks his dad bough him a rig, pistols and is fixing to buy him a rifle. So as far as this thread goes i think its safe to say sass is here to stay. God bless you all.

~PK

I did a quick check on Firearms America, A pair of Uberti revolvers runs a shade under $1000, the Uberti 73 adds another grand or so, a Stoeger shot gun is $400, with tax that's $2500. Add leather, ammo a gun cart and clothes and you are over $3000 before you fire your first shot. Could I afford that if I was just starting,no way could my son who is about to be a father hell no. Iv'e shot most shooting disciplines starting with Bulls eye pistol and Position Rifle in college, PPC, IPSC and so on and they all became equipment races and all are today a shell of their former selves

I did a quick check and I can't afford a Lear Jet or a really big ranch in Montana, so I don't get to do those things. Whatever. I can afford to shoot cowboy, so I do. Leave SASS alone, or better yet, just leave.

I did a quick check and I can't afford a Lear Jet or a really big ranch in Montana, so I don't get to do those things. Whatever. I can afford to shoot cowboy, so I do. Leave SASS alone, or better yet, just leave.

Thanks for that post. I was getting ready to say some things!?!?

You've probably saved me some grief or regret...HAHA

Regards,

Ringer

if you wanna be a top shooter, there is a lot more than just the firearms and equipment!!!

some cold start with a 92, some used pitstols and cheap shotgun until they can upgrade..

Why...this the only question I have for folks such as yourself...that don't play this game, are not SASS members...and are regularly putting a negative light onto SASS.

Why are you here?

Phantom

Im just a kid so what i say probably doesnt count for much. But this game will only die if we allow it to..to me this game is everything, i love it and have dedicated myslef to it very much. Im sure many of you and many more others have done the same and wont allow something thats so fun and brings so many people together as shooters, family and friends alike. Now as for clubs in Texas...THSS is the oldest club in the state. About 1-2 years ago i was for certain the club was going the way of the buffalo due to target sizes and distances. But as of this year the club has been bringing in over double the amount of shooters..and guess what?! Most of them are new to the game. There is youth getting into the game! I myself am mentoring a 9 year old who wanted to shoot cowboy action and he absolutly loves it. Within 2 weeks his dad bough him a rig, pistols and is fixing to buy him a rifle. So as far as this thread goes i think its safe to say sass is here to stay. God bless you all.

~PK

Gotta say WOW!

with all the negative going on you have put into words what this game is all about.

Fun... Friends.... Supporting each other.... Growth.... Healthy competition

Are you sure you are just a kid? These are the adult words more of us need to say.

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

PS just put you on my list of those I would like to someday meet

All these Doom and Gloom predictors obviously don't shoot at the same matches I do.

We Have Fun!!!

Scratch

I agree...all this negative talk does nothing. I love this sport & I got involved because of the fun, not because of the cost. Quit yer b----ing. Is this really the cowboy way or the spirit of the game? C'mon. grow up & be part of the solution & not the problem. There are lots of Lib/lefties that would love to see each and every one of us get rid of our guns because they don't see the necessity of it. I have an 11 year old daughter that loves this sport, the people she meets & spending time with her Dad shooting. If you want to quit, quit, it'll make it that much easier for me to win a match. Grow up.

But they are still building guns for our sport, and they only would do that if there is a profit in it for them. They must be selling enough to stay in business. Have you tried looking at the sunny days instead of waiting for it to rain? You must be a joy to be with on a nice day - always ready to remind us that the weather's gonna turn.

Lighten up and join us. One more member means it'll be that much longer before we disappear. ;)

CR

CR

My dues are paid, the office is just a little slow. My number is in the 71000 range and I'm not going anywhere. I'm not bashing SASS at all just pointing out why I think membership is falling and it can't be denied that it is. SASS is down to less than 20,000 annual paid members and is sufferinng the same fate that every shooting sport does. SASS willl shake itself out and survive on some level I don't know what that level will be.

Remember as much as we like to think this is a big happy family SASS is a business and must make a profit to surive. To keep SASS going we need new shooters to replace what we loose, to get new shooters we need to keep SASS afordable and enjoyable

My dues are paid, the office is just a little slow. My number is in the 71000 range and I'm not going anywhere. I'm not bashing SASS at all just pointing out why I think membership is falling and it can't be denied that it is. SASS is down to less than 20,000 annual paid members and is sufferinng the same fate that every shooting sport does. SASS willl shake itself out and survive on some level I don't know what that level will be.

Remember as much as we like to think this is a big happy family SASS is a business and must make a profit to surive. To keep SASS going we need new shooters to replace what we loose, to get new shooters we need to keep SASS afordable and enjoyable

how do you know it is declining???? maybe the active roll is maintaining,,,,, have any numbers to substantiate your claims?

how do you know it is declining???? maybe the active roll is maintaining,,,,, have any numbers to substantiate your claims?

Read Misty's report

how many were active last year??? the year before that,,,,, and before that?

From Misty

SASS Membership

SASS is a membership organization at its core. Annual SASS Members are the lifeblood of the organization, and annual SASS Membership has been in a steady decline for years. Added to that, historically membership revenue has been utilized to cover costs of other SASS expense streams; ie: Club affiliation support and sanctioning services- services that had been undervalued and offered at no charge for over 30 years- essentially depleting membership resources and leading to the organization’s inability to grow the benefits of the membership program.

Strange, I checked your alias and SASS said it wasn't taken, with a number "in the 71000 range" which would have been assigned several years ago one would think the office would have listed your alias as "taken", and just what is your "paid up" SASS number?

HTH,,,, now go load some ammo so you can play this great game!!!! or spend the time practicing your skills... or just chill and enjoy the game and the fact that moves are being taken to ensure this game will last a long time....

HOWDY; Went to a CAS club shoot today. Lady shooter saw a group picture in a book from years back and asked me who they were as she has never seen most of them. Many of them are dead I answered. One even died on the range I think. They never gave up.

Did I mention this was a new club starting out and there second shoot. Few new faces to me. Life goes on and things change.

I guess raising fees is going to speed up sass coming to end even faster

I guess raising fees is going to speed up sass coming to end even faster

Nope not in this neck of the woods, Cowboy shooting in Aussie is the most attended for the least amount of members, sure only about 1/3 are SASS members but all are Single Action Australian members.

A mate of mine said recently he spills more in beer than what the increase is !!

SASS isn't going anywhere, it's just evolving and shaking itself out it will survive in some form or another as long as there are people who want to shoot it.

+1. OP, if you have an axe to grind just spit it out instead of posting etherial dreck.

I agree.

Nawlins

If I live long enough...... Will I be WORLD CHAMPION?

Well, you can outlast all the other shooters and become the WORLD CHAMP in the "Next to the grave" category!! :P:P

Why...this the only question I have for folks such as yourself...that don't play this game, are not SASS members...and are regularly putting a negative light onto SASS.

Why are you here?

Phantom

Phantom.... ...you called this one right...

...troll...

if you wanna be a top shooter, there is a lot more than just the firearms and equipment!!!

some cold start with a 92, some used pitstols and cheap shotgun until they can upgrade..

That is just what I did. I had one beat up Uberti pistol, and found a beat up old Stoeger for $200. A local gun shop found me a refurb 92 for a great price, and I picked up another Uberti pistol for a good price on sale, then added in a cheap set of Circle K leather just so I could play cowboy. Saved up money and bought a new shotgun last year and sold off the old Stoeger, and this year upgraded the pistols. I just wanted willing to wait until I could but "good" guns until I could play cowboy. I am not a top shooter, I just love playing cowboy. It just takes longer on one income, but there are ways to get creative if someone wants to make it happen

Archived