SASS Wire Forum

Sass going downhill FASTTTTT

Coalman

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately SASS is no different than the majority of the shooting sports. They burst on the scene grow rapidly and then crash and burn. SASS will survive but never at the membership level it once was. If you look at the history of the shooting sports you will see the common denominator.

Well,

I've heard the same thing about Traditional Christian Denominations, Civil War Reenactment, Sons & Daughters of the Confederacy, Sons & Daughters of the American Revolution, Masons, Shriners, etc.... The common denominator is an aging membership. Most younger folks just don't see the relevancy of these organizations.

You can either run around like Henny Penny shaking your finger in members faces or "endeavor to persevere" by positively supporting & preserving these organizations with your time, talent & monetary contributions. I choose to support SASS.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

I do not have the numbers but have watched what has happened in the ten years since I joined SASS, after I was a member in USPSA and NSSF.

The numbers of active shooters has decreased in the matches, especially at state and regional events, even thouh the number of monthly matches has increased. Since the new economic normal of 2008, shooters have left the sport for financial, health or other reasons much faster than they have been replaced.

Severals options are possible:

A. SASS operates at a lower member count, higher fees and the same offerings

B. SASS operates at a lower member count, same fees and fewer offerings

C. SASS figures out some method of increasing active members or increasing revenue flow (like selling CAS ammo to members)

Good Grief!!!!!!!!

If you don't like it,,,,, go somewhere else!!!! Quietly!

Good Grief!!!!!!!!

+1. OP, if you have an axe to grind just spit it out instead of posting etherial dreck.

The game will never disappear period, it has gained too much of a following, a governing body may fail, but the banner shall be picked up and waved by another, and in the mean time, many, many cowboy matches will continue every weekend all summer long at hundereds, maybe thousands, of local shooting clubs all over the country, and probably the world!!!

They say the wire isn't SASS, well I suggest CAS is not the business, it's the game, SASS is the business, and while it may live a long life, or die a slow death, it will never end the game of CAS!!! Thanx to the WB !!!

Spades H. Gotta get my stuff in the truck, going to a new Club in the morning for there 2nd CAS match ever, gotta support them new cowboy clubs!!

I gonna keep right on playing cowboy til I die...

I am the executive director of a non-profit with several thousand members across the country. I am responsible for putting a budget together each year. That means contending with rising costs--and at some point, an increase in dues inevitably becomes necessary. Members have to make a judgment about the cost-benefit ratio. Happily, most of the members in the non-profit I work with have concluded that what they get justifies the dues. That's how I feel about SASS and I am reasonably sure most members, renewing and new, will come to the same conclusion. Particularly in view of the long time since there has been an increase--and considering that SASS is what makes cowboy action shooting an organized sport across the nation and abroad. Compared with other costs, I find SASS dues modest. I am grateful to have the organization, grateful to the Wild Bunch, the staff, local club leaders and all my shooting friends who make this such a wonderful way to spend weekends.

I guess raising fees is going to speed up sass coming to end even faster

Maybe you should think of something positive and help, rather than predicting their demise.

All of y'all that are getting out of cowboy send me a list of your guns....................I'm always looking for bargains ;)

You couldn't afford my good deals. :D

Besides that, I'm taking all of them (firearms and leather too,,,don't forget the Dillion) with me to Heaven. :P

Gun safe is the coffin, pour me in,,,, slam the door shut, and spin the dial. Push off into the ground,, Cover and tamp down, good to go. :lol:

see ya there for the next monthly shoot.

Unfortunately SASS is no different than the majority of the shooting sports. They burst on the scene grow rapidly and then crash and burn. SASS will survive but never at the membership level it once was. If you look at the history of the shooting sports you will see the common denominator.

This is not like the normal shooting sports. Its more than what you have experienced. We have more friendships here than you can imagine and the game is not boring like most. Spend some of your gold and come out and try it, but don't judge us until you do. I'm a happy camper. Two Sons

All of y'all that are getting out of cowboy send me a list of your guns....................I'm always looking for bargains ;)

I will never stop cowboy'n or bein' a cowboy(girl) at heart... I love SASS.. I put a dollar or two cash away every week for when renewal time came around. The extra $20 needs to go other things. I will be back if things change for me.

Never losin' my guns and never leavin' the board.

Again, Warmest Regards,

L.T.

I cannot control what happens to SASS and our sport.

But I know that I'm am going to enjoy it as long as I can - either through my aging or whatever.

Yes, we must be observant and do what we can to improve things in life, but merely worrying about it doesn't do much.

So do what you can, relax and enjoy things as much as we can!

And encourage others similarly.

This is not like the normal shooting sports. Its more than what you have experienced. We have more friendships here than you can imagine and the game is not boring like most. Spend some of your gold and come out and try it, but don't judge us until you do. I'm a happy camper. Two Sons

Well said! Squeaky & I'll be there 'till we can't anymore! It's amazing that some would think that $40 a couple increase is the end of the world!

Downhill??? I don't think so! We are a small (and new) club but the attendance at our shoot continues to grow. All you naysayers are invited to mosey on down that hill and come and play with us. We are having fun and growing and will continue to do so.

I have never had so much fun in my life. I look forward to every shoot and being with friends. I can go to a big shoot and not have to talk shop once! I am grateful to the founders, and will continue to Ride For The Brand!

+1. OP, if you have an axe to grind just spit it out instead of posting etherial dreck.

Thar you go using them big words again :huh: ................now I'm gonna have to go find my Webster to cypher :wacko: Ahhh found it! Klingon :D

Oh Yea, SASS is doing just fine ;) , ........................nothin to see here, please keep the line moving :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

All these Doom and Gloom predictors obviously don't shoot at the same matches I do.

We Have Fun!!!

Scratch

Well, IMHO, I wouldn't mind seeing SASS having one or two less shoot....? uh? cowpok........uh? You know I can't call 'em shooters because I am not sure if they partake in the enjoyment of shooting; I can't call 'em cowpokes because "cowpokes" do not waste time nor energy on silly stuff like trying to predict the doom of something they had no hand in building. But, no matter what I would call them, I wouldn't mind not wasting my time on giving them an audience for their time wasting ranting's.

So, I guess what I am saying is I don't really care how many shooters there are in SASS. I just care whether the kind of cowpokes that built this great sport, having a great time shooting this great sport, and cheering the cowpokes that do show up, show up. I have made friends (good friends) all over the this magnificent country because of SASS. And, I would give this advice to anyone I know, if you can't afford the sport, than quit bellyaching about the expense, sell you guns, and take up golf.

So, I am going to quit wasting your time and say......See you at the Next Match!

KCD

F

It'll survive, even if I have to be the only one shooting! ;)

Where's the match? I'll be there to shoot with ya Major!!!

Spades H.

Good Grief!!!!!!!!

I'm in the later years of "Silver Senior" and I'm stick in' around...just can't wait to move into the "Old Statesman?" Uuhh "Senior Statesman?" Uuhhh... Whatever my next category is.. :)

Rance ;)

Thinkin' the memory may not be good.. But I'm good with SASS!!

Now... What's the name of that group?? :)

This is not like the normal shooting sports. Its more than what you have experienced. We have more friendships here than you can imagine and the game is not boring like most. Spend some of your gold and come out and try it, but don't judge us until you do. I'm a happy camper. Two

I've been around this sport for 10 years now and have spent a lot of my gold. There are great people in every discipline they aren't limited to SASS. And whats boring to you may be what excites other shooters

Archived