SASS Wire Forum

The NEW Henry rifle (lever action center fire)

Widder, SASS #59054

I just got back from the local gun store.

While there, I handled a FEW of the newer Henry lever rifles in both 38/357 and 44 spl/44 mag.

These had NICE wood with rubber buttpads. And the receivers were all black, apparently steel.

Their actions were 'acceptable' although in CAS standards, they could stand some 'tweaking'.

I checked out their insides as much as possible thru the open receiver and it appears they are very similar to the Marlin 1894, EXCEPT... they did not use a loading gate. All loading is facilitated using a magtube design similar to most .22 rifles. But I assume they can be single loaded by just dropping one into the open port.

Price was in the mid $700 range.

Honestly, if I didn't already own some Marlin 1894's, I would seriously consider buying one of these.

A lot of their makeup was so similar to the Marlin that I know they could be made smoother. Even the lever plunger in the lever looked like those in the Marlin, although the lever/trigger safety bar seemed to be designed little different.

Do any of you Wire Pards have any experience (good or bad) with these newer Henry's?

..........Widder

Yes, I have a 357 Henry Big Boy steel as they are called. Round barrel and at 7lbs a heck of a lot lighter. Much better that the old 44 brass framed Henry I traded in, in terms of feel. Personally, not a gunsmith but looking at the thing in general it looks very much like the action in the Marlin 1895 (round bolt), similar mainspring, the ejector looks almost identical as well.

I have not used it much as I am still enamored of trying to get a Colt Lightning reprodcution to work, but it is my backup rifle.

Well, for $700 I might be coerced into buying a .44 and letting you slick it up to your standards after Hell Fire...

Maybe...

Thinking I need to look at one of these in person.

:ph34r:

Very nice rifle .

Not very good for this game.

I own two of them .

They will work but very good at all

Chief,

I thought about buying one of them just to see ifn I can get it good..... or REALLY good.

Problem is, I don't shoot the .38 or .44 calibers.

I guess I could try to fix it up and ifn it turns out good, I could sell it at cost without charging for the modifications. The experience and knowledge might be worth the free work.

OR, I could get Korupt Karl to finance one for me and see how that goes..... :D

H.K., hang with us good buddy. This thread will be productive. Ifn it turns sour, I just might have to go buy one just to see how they can be tuned...

;)

They might be easier to 'Widderize' than the Marlins..... :D

..........Widder

Hi Widder,

The Henry big boy and big boy steel are basically a round bolt 336/1895 Marlin style action. For the money they are well made and can be made to run pretty decent.

My main dislike is the lack of a loading gate which makes it a tube load. My problem with that is the twin tubes and the octagon barrel make them somewhat front heavy. I wish they would at least consider a tapered round barrel version.

Howdy Nate.

Thanks for the info.

I did notice they were on the heavy side. But I liked the wood and fit. Plus, the ones that I looked at had NO BARREL BANDS. They had the forend cap and magtube mounting stud underneath the barrel.

Of course, when in the gun store, you only have a limited amount of time to check out everything and I was looking at everything from GP100's, SP101's, Springfield XD's, Ruger 1911's, AMMO (lots of .22 ammo and even a good supply of CCI .22 short hollow points. Love those little devils in my 9422. Starlings hate em... ;)

I agree with you that it probably can be made to run pretty descent.

Do you know if the 1-piece firing pin we use in the 1894 will work in the HBB?

..........Widder

As has been said, much like Marlin 1894 with 336 round bolt but they have an extra coilspring mechanism in the lever safety.

I believe they will work up aboout like a Marlin but I have seen a couple that had a feeding problem at speed -- I did not investigate.

The biggest problem I have observed for our game is at the loading table. Difficult to load without pulling the muzzle back so far you are sweeping people and holding the gun awkwardly.

They are popular with the non-cowboy shooters and , I am told, sell well --- especially in the current absence of Marlins.

I have a question about the Henry Big Boy. Not familiar with the Henry, would these legal in the "B Western" category? Rules say the rifle has to be 1890 or more.

Yes the Henry Big Boy is legal for B-Western. http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=226688&hl=%2Bhenery+%2Bbig

The 1860 Henry is not.

Thanks everyone.

PALO: I'll check out that coil spring in the lever safety if/when I get into one of them.

My main competition rifle for CAS is the 1894 Marlin in .32 H&R.

Those also do not have a loading gate and are tube fed (like a .22 tube feeder). Actually, quite a few of us locally are shooting the .32 H&R Marlin and aren't having any safety issues with sweeping anyone at the LT. Of course, Safety is always up to the shooter with all of our firearms.

Thanks for all the info.

..........Widder

We have a couple of shooters that use the BB. They seem to be OK. As far as loading no different than my 1860 Uberti Henry. At one point I had a BB in 45C. Found out I could not use it in CC so I sold it and bought a 66 short rifle. Then relegated the 1860 to a backup.

S. Floyd

Archived