SASS Wire Forum

how do you get a rattlesnake out from under your house?

Trigger Mike

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, with mothballs/vinegar, when do you know you got them?

With vinegar, small animals...(possums, skunks, and like)....not very long at all.

No real experience with snakes....but I ain't seen any either, and we got moccasins right near our back door in the drainage ditch.

But, I still toss a jug under the trailer home and shed every couple of months......just in case.

If you can safely get within 8 feet or so: Buy a small diameter piece of metal conduit. Run a length of electric fence wire (or similar) down the conduit and make a loop on the end. Slide the loop over mister snakes head and pull tight. Wrap your end of the wire round the conduit and pull him out to where a 22 can safely get him.

Doesn't the odor of vinegar propogate up through the floor? Or you don't live in the trailer.?

Nope, none of us have ever smelled it at all. Been living in same trailer since 1991.

Noz, Ive not seen him but the Terminex man described him as over 5 ft so 8ft would be too close. he rest where the cinder block foundation meets the wood of the house. so if I crawl into the door and look right he is slightly above me and just a fe feet away.

If'n he's just a few feet away, I wouldn't be poking hm with any thing.

Go on tv with it and give the snake a name. Proclaim that because of safety considerations "Cecil the Snake" has to go one way or another. Surely one of the "save-em at all costs" groups will volunteer to remove and relocate it for you.

Go out and trap a nice sized feral hog, put the hog under the house with the snake. After the hog has "dispatched" the snake or snakes, BBQ!

Blackfoot :)

I'd rather deal with the snake.

wow... does this bring back bad memories..... It wasn't a rattler but I had a copper head under my house once some years back. I was crawling under their for something and didn't see it till it was right under me. Luckily it was a cool morning and it wasn't moving but was coiled and knew I was there.

I backed out very slowly. I remember shaking once I was out.... then ran and got my .22 pistol. Probably not my brightest moment because I crawled back in. found him and shot him twice. Then I couldn't hear for several hours except for the ringing. But no more snake. :)

Howdy,

Would dry ice work?

Maybe sort of box him in and drop in some dry ice?

They are cold blooded and that should slow him down.

Just freeze the snake.

Best

CR

Howdy,

That sounds like too much fun.

Just be alone and ready with a shotgun.

Hey, get it on video too.....

Best

CR

Around here it is against the law to kill rattlesnakes, a picture/video is not advised.

i found a snake trap and will overwatch it in my ATV so he does not hear me on the porch and stay as silent s i can and try to be there when he comes out from underneath with my TTN coach gun and #6 shot

I'd use #9 and hit him a lot more times.

Toss a feral cat or two down there and close em in. Should take care of the problem.

As I said with the hog, I'd rather deal with the snake.

wow... does this bring back bad memories..... It wasn't a rattler but I had a copper head under my house once some years back. I was crawling under their for something and didn't see it till it was right under me. Luckily it was a cool morning and it wasn't moving but was coiled and knew I was there.

I backed out very slowly. I remember shaking once I was out.... then ran and got my .22 pistol. Probably not my brightest moment because I crawled back in. found him and shot him twice. Then I couldn't hear for several hours except for the ringing. But no more snake. :)

That'll make the snake deaf also..... :D

..........Widder

Howdy,

anyhow pard, whenever you do deal with that rattler please let us know

what happened on a NEW post.

Suggested title 'Stopped that rattle'.

Best

CR

Around here it is against the law to kill rattlesnakes, a picture/video is not advised.

IN Utah, it is illegal to kill them unless you life is in danger, then you can kill them, leave the carcass where it is, don't bother reporting it. If the dead snake is on your property you can throw it in the rubbish. THe reasoning is so that no one goes hunting for them. They keep the rodent population in check.

Mothballs are an effective deterrant to almost every pest that will crawl under a house. I've used them to chase racoons, mice, weasels, and even yellow jackets from under my house. Anything that relies on their sense of smell at all, usually is offended by moth balls.

down here they advertise at the gun store they will pay $3. a foot for a rattlesnake and $6 per foot if it is still alive at the local taxidermy place and they have an annual rattle snake roundup in the spring so no consequence to killing him.

Insect spray was mentioned early in the thread, maybe setting off insect foggers.

That would surely foul the atmosphere but it also makes an explosive atmosphere.

Too many years in the combined emergency services: I"ve seen what happens when a Darwin candidate set off four bug bombs in a small house and neglected to shut off gas to the hot water tank's standing pilot flame.

Warn't much left.

Insect spray was mentioned early in the thread, maybe setting off insect foggers.

That would surely foul the atmosphere but it also makes an explosive atmosphere.

Too many years in the combined emergency services: I"ve seen what happens when a Darwin candidate set off four bug bombs in a small house and neglected to shut off gas to the hot water tank's standing pilot flame.

Warn't much left.

Well, it would get rid of the snake, wouldn't it? :o:P Or, you could just empty a couple of flour sacks and light a match...similar effect! :wacko: Oh, that's right, you want to save the house...

Archived