SASS Wire Forum

how do you get a rattlesnake out from under your house?

Trigger Mike

hired terminex to put water barrier under my fishing cabin by my pond in the back yard. they found a large rattler in the crawl space and stopped working. I know there is a king snake around but he must be missing him. They installed the screened vents but not the door yet due to the snake so he can still get in and out. How do I coax him out? I really don't want to go where he is on his level.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personally, I would probably take a small shotgun down there and kill him myself. I have had to do it at my old house.

My son just killed a rattler in our barn a couple weeks ago.

Our neighbors horse was bitten this last sunday and died only a few hours later. I hate them. We have them out here and my kids find them while playing it is kind of upsetting.

You have 3 options.

1. Wait and see if he moves on.

2. A case of lead poisioning. Then have a BBQ. Save the head and hide. Have it tanned or do it yourself. WARNING: firing a gun under your house may create a lot more problems than it solves.

3. Buy or make a snake trap. Never knew these existed but it looks to be a variation of a glue trap. You might put a few glue traps on a thin board, place it along the wall near the opening and see if the snake will oblige you by slithering over one or more of them.

BTW There is no such thing as a snake repellant. Any thing sold as such is just repackaged "Snake Oil" designed to lighter your wallet and fatten theirs. (Pun Intended.)

Maybe you could make him uncomfortable enough he would relocate...

How about setting off a half dozen or so of those aerosol insecticide bombs down there. It might make the air foul enough to choke him out. The worst that could happen is you kill all the spiders!

He may be down there because he has found mice to feed on. Set some mouse/rat traps and remove his food source.

Howdy,

Spray to remove the insects and seal off ways for mice etc to git in.

Set a bunch of good old fashioned rat traps and maybe he will move on?

I like the smoke idea, just don't burn down the house.

Are there any professional guys who can help?

Getting bit is not anything to joke about.

Best

CR

Professional guys redefine expensive. Wanted to get squirrels out of my attic. When I got the estimate I would have need to take out a second mortgage and get a second job to have paid what he wanted.

BTW I was prepared for a healthy bill but his quote was about 10% of my homes value.

Studied up and did it my self for 1/10 what the professional wanted.

How about a snare? Don't know if that would work on a snake but they're nasty!!

I googled snake traps and came up with about a million different ways!! There's some homemade ones, interesting!

One of the most clever is this:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/515899/best-way-ive-found-yet-to-deal-with-snake-problems

Tyrel's right! In all likelihood there is more than one. We had em under the house growing up and didnt pay a lot of attention except to watch where we were stepping. One things for sure though, eliminate the rodents and Mr Rattler will move on. That is unless theyve decided your place makes a neat hibernation site.

I don't know of a best way to get rid of them but I do know one of the best ammo loads if you decide to face it (them).

CCI make a great snake shot load for both the .45 ACP and the .45 Colt.

Other calibers may be good but I can personally attest to the effectiveness of both of these cartridges from CCI.

On a side note, I also think SMOKE is probably a good way to get it to come out of hiding. Just make sure the smoke can't come up thru the floor into your house because the snake could also crawl to the same venting area. And you surely don't want it in your house.

..........Widder

Just freeze it with a fire extinguisher and toss it in the neighbors toilet

With whatever type (powder or CO2 gas) of fire extinguisher, you have to get pretty close to snake to do any damage... In a confined crawl space, you are breathing the same stuff,,, ie,,, no oxygen. You may get the snake but may kill yourself in doing such. Just a thought.

Don't know if it works, but I've heard of using moth balls to get various varmints out. OK, let the wise cracks commence.

JHC ;)

Thats not such a bad idea Capt. I live in an area that seems to have an abundance of snakes..... black rat snakes and corn snakes.

I put a lot of mothballs in my basement a couple years back and haven't seen a snake or its skin in my basement since. Those balls are since faded away and I might have to get a few more to sprinkle around.

..........Widder

Get a gallon jug of vinegar, poke several small holes in it and toss under house. Use as many as you feel the need. Snakes rely on smell, taste , and heat signatures.....the smell and taste of vinegar will irritate the dickens out of him and he'll move on.

This trick also works on small rodents and feral cats, possums, and skunks.

looks like i will be making a trip to buy moth balls and vinegar. i found a snake trap for 25. i will try it as well and wait in my ATV to see if i see him coming toward it . i have a S & W Governor loaded with 410 that I used on water snakes before. i fear there may be more than one but Terminex said they only saw one.

Are you reasonably sure there is only the one snake?

I was stacking haybales last weekend and a small baby rattler crawled out from under one of them. Since a female snake lays a lot of eggs in a nest and the way our horse behaved around the building we suspect there are more, especially mama.

Smaller rattlers are more toxic than larger ones so don't underestimate them.

Archived