SASS Wire Forum

Best apple I've ever eaten

Recently, at the local big box store, I found for sale a large, pinkish-green apple. It's large ellipsoid shape drew my eye right to them. I picked one up and it seemed oddly light for it's size, but the skin was tight and they looked fantastic! These were labeled Pink Lady's

So I bought 4 to try. They were a little more than the other apples around it, granny smiths and the staple Golden Delicious apples that everyone normally buys.

Not being a gourmet grocery buyer, a new apple is a treat. (I know, I lead a boring life).

It took a day to get one in my lunch sack. after slicing it up and coring it I took my first bite - WOW! super sweet, a tiny hint of tart, and super juicy (I was expecting dry from the weight). The flesh was crisp, and had that signature "crunch" when a piece was torn away, like you'd expect from a fine apple. This apple is perfect. and I mean PERFECT. Being the size of a softball, It's large enough that one apple satisfies my 'snackiness' (if that's a word). the sweet and tart work so well together and yet, it's doesn't leave your hands sticky when you're done (apparently, I'm a messy eater). The skin added a little burst of "apple" flavor to the rest of the flesh, which made it a true treat in every bite.

I used to love the Granny Smiths, they're a fine apple but the tart could be overwhelming at times. Gala's are a great apple, but they don't provide that ever-so-satisfying "crunch" that I crave in an apple. Red delicious apples seem to be getting sweeter and sweeter, and less and less tart as the years go by, so they've been relegated to cooking.

All this to say: the Pink Lady, is now my favorite apple! I will be stopping at the store on the way home today in the hopes that I can get a few more.

25420817-origpic-0afc50.jpg

Pink Ladies have been around for a while. Don't know what the orchards are doing to the Decelious

but the taste is sure not the same as a few years ago. They are almost tasteless. Maybe the best

get exported to other parts of the country or to other countries for a better price. I have a dwarf

apple tree in my "orchard" that bears apples called William's Pride. These are very large and

sweet/tart apples. Good for eating and cooking. Unfortunately, the deer and crows seem to like

them as much as I do, or maybe moreso. Being a dwarf stock it bears large apples but not an

abundant number. So I have to race the critters to get my share. This year the critters won, but

it has been so dry I figure they oould use the fruit.

Ah, apples....

John Chapman, a/k/a Johnny Appleseed, was born nearby, in Leominster, MA (that's "Lem-in-stir", you flatlanders...), the son of a Colonial who fought at the Battle of Concord. He helped spread various types of apples across the US, and is widely credited with advancing the practice of conservation in the early years of the country.

One of my H.S. jobs was picking apples in a local orchard... two metal picking buckets on canvas straps, one hung in your front, one behind; wooden picking ladder, tapered to a point at one end to make it easier to shove it up between the branches; fill the front bucket, and while still on the ladder, swing it to the rear and the rear to the front, and fill that one; hot, hard work, but if you could pick two-handed (and not pull out the stems) you could make a few bucks - at 30 cents a bushel (two buckets to a bushel).

Cold, red Delicious are still my favorites...but I'd take a ripe peach before an apple any day.

LL

Red Dels have been over-bred for size and looks.

My "go to" eating apples are Fuji and Braeburns. Honey Crisp are very good, and Pink Ladies make a nice change.

My all time favorite, if I can find them, would be the Arkansas Black. http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/arkansas-black The skins get almost black they are so dark a red, and the flesh is shot through with red streaks. It keeps very well.

Very Seasonal up here in Pennysiltucky, but I have found a real taste for Honey Crisp. Don't usually see them in the store until fall/winter, then gone by March. Delicious. Sweet, Jucy & tart all at the same time. Some tasty!! :)

Coffinmaker

Ah, apples....

John Chapman, a/k/a Johnny Appleseed, was born nearby, in Leominster, MA (that's "Lem-in-stir", you flatlanders...), the son of a Colonial who fought at the Battle of Concord. He helped spread various types of apples across the US, and is widely credited with advancing the practice of conservation in the early years of the country.

One of my H.S. jobs was picking apples in a local orchard... two metal picking buckets on canvas straps, one hung in your front, one behind; wooden picking ladder, tapered to a point at one end to make it easier to shove it up between the branches; fill the front bucket, and while still on the ladder, swing it to the rear and the rear to the front, and fill that one; hot, hard work, but if you could pick two-handed (and not pull out the stems) you could make a few bucks - at 30 cents a bushel (two buckets to a bushel).

Cold, red Delicious are still my favorites...but I'd take a ripe peach before an apple any day.

LL

Peaches are great and we love our tree. it seems to produce just the right amount every year. . . except this year. we got crazy amounts of rain this spring and they all rotten on the vine, so we didn't get to enjoy a single piece of fruit.

On the other hand, our grape vines went plain' 'ol BONKERS and we got to make 38 quarts of grape preserves! it was like hitting the lottery!

Our new house has a couple of apple trees. Two of them have produced soft ball sized fruit. I'm trying to get to them before the critters. The third tree produced very small fruit. They appear to be ripe but I don't know enough about them to want to bite into one.

I haven't seen the Pink Ladies in my market yet. We do get Honeycrisps. Those I really like. I'll have one of those for a snack. Just about the only apple I buy anymore. I'll have to look for the Pink Ladies.

One thing that is uncontestably great is the proliferation of apple varieties in the markets. When I was growing up, it was all Red or Golden Delicious, or what you got from neighborhood trees.

The first big competition came from Granny Smiths from NZ about 35 years ago; that finally shook things up, and there are a great multitude of types now.

One of the biggest problems with Red Delicious was inconsistent quality. I quit buying them long years ago, because only about every 4th one was actually crisp. Besides, they have little flavor. But they sure make a pretty picture.

My favorite commercial variety now is Honeycrisp, but they are expensive.

My all time favorite apple is still the Gravenstein; seldom found at the stores, though.

Looking at the chart was really a shock.......

My 2 favorite apples are the Granny Smith and the Fuji, opposite ends of the spectrum.

Go Figure..............

I love a Granny Smith. I'll have to keep an eye out for Pink Ladies at the local Wally World.

I'm not sure what they're called because I've never seen them before we ran across them in Mountain View, AR several years ago. Perhaps some of you Razorback fans can enlighten me. In an orchard behind the Blue Sky store, headed north toward Mountain Home, were trees with baseball sized black fruit growing on them. Of course I just had to know what they were so, being me, I spipped over the wire fence and picked a couple. I was certainly going to wash whatever they were because they were a rusty black color. Try as we might, the black didn't wash off. We recognized the fruit as an part of the apple family and the size and firmness led us to believe it was a Delicious, but the black color threw us off. I cut one open and took a bite. Aiieeee! The best apple I ever tasted and I've been around a whille! Anyone have a proper name for these Arkansas apples?

I bought a couple of Pink Ladies apples yesterday. Those are pretty good! I might have to buy me a few more.

I became addicted to Cortland and Idared apples years ago when I frequented upstate NY. A friend introduced me. There was a cannery in Marion, NY that used Cortland exclusively for their applesauce and juice. The Idared has a little tarter taste and the most beautiful white flesh on the inside. These are Fall apples instead of summer in the US.

I'm not sure what they're called because I've never seen them before we ran across them in Mountain View, AR several years ago. Perhaps some of you Razorback fans can enlighten me. In an orchard behind the Blue Sky store, headed north toward Mountain Home, were trees with baseball sized black fruit growing on them. Of course I just had to know what they were so, being me, I spipped over the wire fence and picked a couple. I was certainly going to wash whatever they were because they were a rusty black color. Try as we might, the black didn't wash off. We recognized the fruit as an part of the apple family and the size and firmness led us to believe it was a Delicious, but the black color threw us off. I cut one open and took a bite. Aiieeee! The best apple I ever tasted and I've been around a whille! Anyone have a proper name for these Arkansas apples?

Anything like this:

arkansas-black.jpg

My wife loves pink lady apples, they are good but I guess I'm old fashioned I love Macintosh apples both eaten from hand and they are the best in a pie!!

I like a lot of different apples tho, every now and then I like to eat a great big Northern Spy they also make a great pie!!

My grandmother used to say Apple Pie without some cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze!! Yep, a nice big slice of N.Y Super Sharp Cheese and a big wedge of Apple pie!!

Spades H.

Yep, Joe, those are what I filched...umm...picked. Bet I ever ate!

My favorite, and darned hard to find out here. One fall we bought a case of them and just put it in the garage. The following March we still had a few, only had to throw out one from that whole box. Good for eating, good for cooking, good for making sauce.

Coffinmaker knows his apples!!! I am currently on guard in my back yard attempting to keep the squirrels and birds away from the worlds ugliest apple tree that produces honey crisp apples the size of softballs. It will last the month till harvest but I am strong willed. Sagerider

Archived