SASS Wire Forum

Membership fee concerns, please read this.

Silver Shadow

I don't want to come off as one who is trying to minimize the value of $65. There have been times in my life when I couldn't have scraped together $65 dollars if I tried, and there may be a time, again when I can't.

Back in the early 90's I heard of this thing called Cowboy shooting. I even went as far as to register an alias with one of the associations representing the sport. I chose the one that was free of course, and now nobody can even remember who they were (might be a moral there). I owned a EAA Bounty Hunter and a Marlin in 44 mag, and an old Stevens double. A look at the rules indicated I couldn't shoot my 44 mags, and I'd never heard of a 44 special, so, I determined in short order that I couldn't afford to play this game at the time. 20+ years later, life had progressed to the point where I thought I'd try again. I realized, very quickly, that this game is EXPENSIVE. By the grace of God, I do have the means to play, and am I glad I can. The people alone are worth every penny.

That being said, I realize some of the people who are concerned about the recent increase in annual dues, can certainly afford the $65, but, aren't sure they are receiving any value for their money. All I can say is, get out and rub shoulders with the people involved in operating the SASS organization, take a look at the efforts of many of the volunteers who give tirelessly to provide rule clarification and modification to make this sport as safe and enjoyable as possible, or the people that moderate and contribute to the Wire, just to name a few, and it's not hard to come up with $65 a year worth of value in this organization. Even if a large portion of that was going in the Wild Bunches pocket, I still wouldn't have a problem. In my opinion they deserve something. I don't care what they do with my money, as long as SASS continues to exist. Yes, I realize that some of you might think, that because I'm a Life member that it doesn't effect me, but, for what I had to pay for my life membership, and calculating my age, I'm still pay more than $65 a year. I knew life membership probably didn't make fiscal sense for me. I did it mainly to be eligible to help as a TG if any of the clubs I'm involved in might have need of me.

And now to the point. For those people who will be kept from participating in their State Championship or other SASS members only shoots, due to a lack of disposable income for membership dues, please contact me (seriously). I would be glad to contribute a years worth of membership fees for you and your family so that you might be able to enjoy those events as much as I have.

Finally, I'd like to express my appreciation to all at SASS for their efforts. You have provided so many smiles in my life, I'll be forever in your debt.

And Misty, in all sincerity, if there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know.

Good Luck and Good Shooting with Great People

Silver Shadow

Silver Shadow!!

Please! If you will. contact Dewey Cheatem!! He's a great cowboy and he and his family are too dear to too many of us to see them drop out!!!

I don't have the all the right words too express myself but here I go

I love this game the friends have made and the friendship I have not made yet are priceless

Thoose who know me won't believe I am at a lost for words

May we always be blessed to have sass Rusty

Silver Shadow!!

Please! If you will. contact Dewey Cheatem!! He's a great cowboy and he and his family are too dear to too many of us to see them drop out!!!

Blackwater your message box must be full or something.

Sent him a message. Hope I can help.

Ditto, Ditto Silver Shadow and more to this game then just shooting.

I joined SASS in 1988 and pay my dues once a year since then and now my other half shoots also and we both love this game, the friends we meet and many other enjoyable activity such as Team events, couple events and etc.

Whatever it takes to keep this sport going.

JRJ

Shadow, well said my friend.

Blackwater my friend you are a great man and I appreciate the suggestion. And Silver Shadow that is an awesome gesture to offer. There is more to my story than just not being able to afford renewal fees even though that pretty much sealed the decision. I greatly appreciate the offer but it would be better suited for others at this time.

DC

Blackwater my friend you are a great man and I appreciate the suggestion. And Silver Shadow that is an awesome gesture to offer. There is more to my story than just not being able to afford renewal fees even though that pretty much sealed the decision. I greatly appreciate the offer but it would be better suited for others at this time.

DC

I understand. I hope things work out for you and your family, and I hope you'll be able to return someday soon.

Good luck and best wishes to you and yours, and if things change, my offer stands.

Silver Shadow

Maybe we should start a fund to help those cowboy shooters that are in financial trouble and can't afford to continue playing this fantastic game. Silver Shadow you are a wonderful person, and I hope you can help Dewey and his family continue to play our game. I can't afford to pay someone's SASS dues, but would be willing to donate some money to a fund to help those that are truly in need of financial help to continue to be members and continue to play our game. I bet others would too.

Dewey, sorry it took me a while to complete my post, so I didn't see your post before I finally posted. Hope you and your family are able to rejoin at a later date. You and your family still have friends in SASS that care about you.

Maybe we should start a fund to help those cowboy shooters that are in financial trouble and can't afford to continue playing this fantastic game. Silver Shadow you are a wonderful person, and I hope you can help Dewey and his family continue to play our game. I can't afford to pay someone's SASS dues, but would be willing to donate some money to a fund to help those that are truly in need of financial help to continue to be members and continue to play our game. I bet others would too.

Dewey, sorry it took me a while to complete my post, so I didn't see your post before I finally posted. Hope you and your family are able to rejoin at a later date. You and your family still have friends in SASS that care about you.

Lorelei, your very kind. I've pondered on your suggestion quite a bit, but, I'm not sure I'm capable of running a "fund", so to speak. I would, however, be happy to keep a list of willing contributors on hand, and contact them on a case by case basis, to see if they would like to participate at the time. Anybody who might be interested could send me a PM or an email at jthielman.cas@gmail.com. with their contact info.

I hope we can keep as many people enjoying this game as possible because I'd love to meet you all.

Silver Shadow

Silver Shadow!

Sorry 'bout the in box. I'll clean it out some today!

Thank you for contacting Dewey. I'll ride the river with ya' anytime!!

Dewey!! Is there anything I can do to help??

Very nice and generous.

I hope to be in that same position of giving ability in a couple of years.

Dewey is a good friend of mine who I met in SASS, he can afford to play, he is just wanting to become more involved with his growing family, and for this I applaud him, he is a great dad and will return when his kids get a little bigger....that is if he doesn't have a couple of more!

DC

Archived