SASS Wire Forum

Somehow I Don't Think Gen. Lemay Is Amused

Subdeacon Joe

I was soo hoping it was a Duffleblog article.

'Nother shot please. :huh:

I think the cigar just fell out of his mouth! I don't think he'd think much of Global Strike Command's motto, "To assure and deter!" either! I liked "Peace is our profession." (Under the mailed fist with the lightning bolts coming out of it, on the SAC patch.) At least we've still got some non-wuss airmen like A1C Stone! Hope his thumb won't get him a medical discharge! Can he accept that French Legion of Honor award? :FlagAm:

I served under Curtis Lemay and had the "pleasure" :( of standing at attention in front of his desk once. Made sure there was never a second time. I will tell you for sure I would not want to be an airman in that room when he burst in. More so I wouldn't want to be the person or persons that organized such a folley.

http://www.outofregs.com/postImages/1410625348.jpg

Sorry just the link, my photobucket account has been problematic of late, I think mostly due to the age of my computer.

HAHAHAHA.

That ain't gonna win you any friends in some corners, Doc,

Sometimes the truth hurts. :lol:

My firstborn son's name is Andrew William Lemay Kost after an apostle and two great Americans, his great grandpa and Curtis Lemay.

Curtis Lemay was the greatest Air Commander the world has ever known. Everything he did was to preserve life and liberty. He was the one who figured out how to make strategic bombing work in the ETO with tight formations and hitting targets so they did not have to risk coming back another day. He was the one who brought Japan to it's knees in the only real war winning Air Campaign in history. He saved millions of lives both American and Japanese by helping avert an invasion of the mainland.

He kept the Soviets at bay and kept us from a nuclear exchange through superior leadership, training, skill and hard work in SAC. The Russian knew that if push came to shove then Lemay would not hesitate. I think LeMay should have gotten a fifth star, but he was none too political.

I wish we had Great Americans like him in leadership today.

DD

It took me five years to graduate from college (aside from the engineering courses, I graduated "Summa cum lousy" :P ) My fellow AFROTC classmates...except for one friend who retired as an 0-6...who had another semester to go, also an engineer...were sworn in by Gen. Lemay. That was a real treat to watch. Eventually, some of us were "SACumcized", in missiles. By that time, however, The General was Air Force Chief-of-Staff.

When SAC was stood down and Air Force Global Strike Command stood up in its place, and there were, in most recent times, morale and discipline problems, younger generals have come up to fix the situation. Recently, Gen. Robin Rand was elevated to 4-star, and placed in command of AFGSC, Air Force C-of-C Mike Welsh told him, "Go become Curtis Lemay!" As if such a thing were even remotely possible, in spite of Gen. Rand's very high qualifications. When Gen. Lemay was born, they broke the mould! BTW, Lemay was NOT a West Pointer! IMHO, all AFGSC officers, from 2LT to 4-star should be required to watch "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart and Frank Lovejoy as "General Hawk" (Lemay right down to his looks!!!), and "A Gathering of Eagles". The latter came right out of SAC Manual 66-12!

IMHO, all AFGSC officers, from 2LT to 4-star should be required to watch "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart and Frank Lovejoy as "General Hawk" ....

Anybody who ever watched a Peacemaker or a Stratofortress fly over should watch that beautiful movie. Sure it's basically an Air Force recruiting film but Damn, it's beautiful!

HAHAHAHA.

That ain't gonna win you any friends in some corners, Doc,

Sometimes the truth hurts. :lol:

Those that get hurt feelings will probably want to put me in time out.

Just because I think it is cool. My dad was in the USAF, as was I, and we both served under Lemay. Dad in Europe in the 8th Air Force and me in the U.S. in SAC in K. I. Sawyer AFB in Michigan.

THATS NOT MY AIR FORCE!!! My grandson wanted to enlist in the AF a few years ago so I took him down to the AF Recruiter and after listening to him spout BS about food, barracks (he called it dorms) as so much better than the Army or the USMC, and the AF was like a 5 star company, I took my grandson out and let him make a choice between the Marines or the Army!!!

He picked the Army. The AF "senior airman" looked at me like I was crazy when I jerked him out of the office.

Glad I did that.

THATS NOT MY AIR FORCE!!! My grandson wanted to enlist in the AF a few years ago so I took him down to the AF Recruiter and after listening to him spout BS about food, barracks (he called it dorms) as so much better than the Army or the USMC, and the AF was like a 5 star company, I took my grandson out and let him make a choice between the Marines or the Army!!!

He picked the Army. The AF "senior airman" looked at me like I was crazy when I jerked him out of the office.

Glad I did that.

That much, at least, has been true for decades. Both my daughters are appreciative of the military, but have no desire, nor need to join, and I am fine with that. But if a child of mine were to wish to join, I would discuss long and hard with them their ultimate desire and goal. As much as I sometimes joke about wishing I had joined the Air Force, unless I had the aptitude and ability to fly Warthogs, I'm pretty much a field soldier at heart. For someone of a more technical mindset, the Air Force may be the right choice.

Just remember, it's all about perception

Perceptions_1.jpg

A lot of good natured joshing between the services is healthy.

But the bottom line is that each service has a mission to perform

and without that mission the puzzle is not complete.

It is a big and sometimes ugly world out there. If we are not prepared

to deal with that, we are in deep, deep, soup. I salute those that have

stepped up to the line and helped fulfill their mission, what ever it

may have been or will be in the future. :FlagAm:

A lot of good natured joshing between the services is healthy.

But the bottom line is that each service has a mission to perform

and without that mission the puzzle is not complete.

It is a big and sometimes ugly world out there. If we are not prepared

to deal with that, we are in deep, deep, soup. I salute those that have

stepped up to the line and helped fulfill their mission, what ever it

may have been or will be in the future. :FlagAm:

Well said, Sir. Now, who are you, and what have you done with the real Badger Mountain Charlie???

I shot that hombre. He was a PITA anyway. :D

My name is Jose Jimenez

~Sigh~ Another monitor and keyboard cleaning to do.

Amazing what a regular feature that is when reading stuff in the Saloon.

I should just set a roll of towels next to my computer. It does tend to stay clean, though.

I didn't know that airplanes had a rear sight?

IIRC they didn't even put guns on one of their airplane models

back in the Vietnam war.

But what the heck, I am a ground pounder so what

do I know about airplanes and potatoes?

In defense of the AF, I didn't have a rear sight on my 81 mm mortar either.

:lol:

I didn't know that airplanes had a rear sight?

IIRC they didn't even put guns on one of their airplane models

back in the Vietnam war.

But what the heck, I am a ground pounder so what

do I know about airplanes and potatoes?

In defense of the AF, I didn't have a rear sight on my 81 mm mortar either.

:lol:

The Thud (F-105 had a M-61 Vulcan), but the F-4's didn't, until they realized the MiG-17's and -21's did, and air-to-air missiles weren't all that great in a dogfight! Then they fitted the ones that didn't have any with a gun pod. When you "spray and pray" you don't need a rear sight!

SPRAY AND PRAY, that is pretty much what you do with an 81 also.

No gnats a$$ with HE out of one of those things. You pretty much get everything

with in 35 yards below the detonation. If you don't you pretty much don't want to

be there.

Archived