SASS Wire Forum

SASS Membership Fees

Tommy Reb

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a proud man this post is hard to make

Since I'm being bashed unmercifully for letting my membership lapse and not shooting anymore even though it's no one else's business I'll explain it because I'm sure there are others in my or similar situations. I was forced into retirement when my position was eliminated and renamed so the bosses friend could move into it.

When I retired we lost our health insurance and since we are both cancer survivors and my wife is an insulin dependent diabetic health insurance was impossible to obtain at any price. My wife and I both developed serious health problems hers was life threatening mine almost cost me my leg. To make a long story short there are $30,000 in medical bills, down from $50,000 sitting on my desk with a $500 a month payment plan. My wife has just had surgery and there is another coming, with her high deductible insurance that will add another $10,000 to the debt. That leaves no wiggle room in the budget and we are digging into what little savings we have left. Hard decisions on spending had to be made and SASS dues was one of them..

As far as not shooting I had a severe leg infection that almost cost me my left leg. There was massive tissue and muscle loss that left me using a cane, with a permanent limp and pain when standing or even sitting upright for more than a few minutes. Think the TV show House without the drug addiction since I refused narcotic pain medication. Most of that but certainly not all is behind me but I also suffer from long term vertigo. It has minimal effect on my daily life as long as I move my head smoothly at a normal speed, if I try to track my head and eyes like you do in a SASS shoot you standing next to a drunk leaning on a cane which is not exactly safe. When I have that under better control I hope to be able to shoot again.

As far as being accused of bashing SASS on this thread I suggest you look again. I have only stated that SASS dues are far above what other organizations charge for similar service and that for a local shooter there are very few benefits I have also pointed out that SASS is no longer a growing sport but is in fact loosing members at an alarming rate and that raising the dues is not the answer, if SASS doesn't find an answer it will go out of business. Unlike other posts in this thread I have not thrown the blame on anyone in SASS or personally insulted anyone. Everything I have posted is the hard truth.

Now you know my story and I'm sure that of many others.

My dues will be paid in the next several hours

Thank you

Dale Grant

Henry, sorry to hear about your bad luck and health problems, prayers and recovery wishes are on the way.

Did I read your post correct but you're going to pay your SASS dues even though you're not going to shoot??? Talk about "cowboying up"

Good for you!

Rye

Paid

You weren't getting bashed for not shooting. You were getting bashed for running down SASS when you weren't a member. I also think there is a point where member or not when enough is enough. If things are that bad where your spending your money then spend it else where. I'm sorry to hear about your personal problems and hope things work out. Take care. MW

You sound like you're a good, hard working family. I think it's time for us to all pitch in, and help sass out. Price of wheat is a dollar below production right now, and it's been a drought yr, so things aren't good up this way either. If sass needs another 20 dollars or so, I'm fine with it. When the price of fertilizer, and chemical jumps up by 50 percent, I pay for it and raise the best crop I can. Reason being, I owe that to my family, and those who consume our crops. Many people don't think this way, and won't pull their weight at all. Guess i'll stand behind what I said.

My wife teaches school as well!! I am still taking exception to the "welfare" remark. It was uncalled for and unfair to those who work their respective behinds off that don't have a lot of disposable income!!

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, August 28, 2015 - Personal attacks
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, August 28, 2015 - Personal attacks

After reading that post I must apologize, I didnt realize that when you see yourself you see a joke. I thought you were being serious. Good luck with that!

Nevermind...

Phantom

Edited to remove Short Bus statement as I fell prey to a members inability to comprehend simple English.

And here we go, bummer.

And here we go, bummer.

It started a long time ago...see a couple pages back before making up yer mind.

;)

Very good points. This got personal and should not have. From now on if I have questions about how they run their business I will email SASS so we can avoid answers from everyone else. Sorry to anyone who took it personally.

8 hours ago I apologized and let it go. I dont know if you missed that or just didnt care, but I am done. If you want to continue this you can just send me a private message as this current track you are trying to take us all down is not helping the conversation or SASS.

I let my membership lapse when they stopped printing the Chronicle.
And at that IMHO I was paying $45 for a subscription to a Ad filled CAS newsletter.

I haven't shot a State or Regional since 1999 when I realized all I was doing was reloading, cleaning guns, packing and unpacking and not having more fun then my local club. And all my other hobbies were suffering.

So with just a local shoot to go to and no requirement to be there when it's too hot or too cold since I no longer was a officer (burned out big time), the Membership was just not worth it.

To me. Your Milage may differ.

This is a for profit outfit. They have to give value for money. If not vote with your pocketbook.

Are you kidding me??? A threat??? What the heck are you smoking'???

The stuff you sold me. You still trying to sell the rest of it..................try Short Bus

Short Wagon not Short Bus…….and I didn't sell you a thing! :P

The stuff you sold me. You still trying to sell the rest of it..................try Short Bus

Once again, 8 hours ago I apologized to everyone and then I even sent you a PM because I thought you really felt like I threatened you. Since it has been posted twice I can only assume that you read it and chose to call names and make this personal.

Just so you internet bullies can feel better about calling me names (Short Bus) I picked my name (short Wagon) because I am a paraplegic and when I take public transportation I sometimes ride on the smaller busses for handicap people. Good for you both and I hope you feel like big men that you can pick on me for that - it really shows cowboy spirit.

Once again, 8 hours ago I apologized to everyone and then I even sent you a PM because I thought you really felt like I threatened you. Since it has been posted twice I can only assume that you read it and chose to call names and make this personal.

Just so you internet bullies can feel better about calling me names (Short Bus) I picked my name (short Wagon) because I am a paraplegic and when I take public transportation I sometimes ride on the smaller busses for handicap people. Good for you both and I hope you feel like big men that you can pick on me for that - it really shows cowboy spirit.

+100000 ;)

I will apologize for changing your alias

Your PM's did nothing but confirm you represent a different public and private persona

I will apologize for changing your alias

Your PM's did nothing but confirm you represent a different public and private persona

I sent you a PM to try to resolve the situation as I didnt try in any way to threaten anyone and couldnt see how you could take it that way. you chose to be rude and got more threatening than I ever did. If you want to continue this in PM's we can. I tried to resolve any situation we were having and that is both my private AND public persona. I extended the olive branch, you burned it.

My kids don't care to shoot. I bought them memberships anyway both to try and encourage them to participate and to help SASS as I am a Life Member and don't have annual dues.

That speaks volumes,,,

I can relate. When my daughter was home, I introduced her to ham radio, down hill snow skiing and of course shooting. Nothing stuck and when I realized she was not interested, the funding stopped.

The cost of an annual membership, in my mind is less of an issue, than the way in which it is raised suddenly and without warning. I can afford it, I can afford it for my kids, I could gift memberships to multiple people and it wouldn't change anything in my life. But my Grandparents lived through the Great Depression, My father grew up during it, I've been raised to not waste money. (If you know me, you know that didn't really take all that well)

Your Grandparents were my Parents ( Great Depression era). Boy do I understand the upbringing and share the same beliefs..... I can not waste your money, Companies money nor mine...... i some what taught my daughter the same concept....but she has not taken it to the extreme I've done. I too, can afford numerous things, but that isn't who I am. Another story.

If prices rise suddenly and without advance notice, people look for alternative options. NCOWS isn't for me nor is it an adequate substitute. I like SASS, I like the people and I see tremendous potential. It isn't 65.00 a year though. It is so much more for the guns and gear and match fees, club fees and travel etc.

Amen!!

It may be just 20 bucks, but how many of you would just randomly throw a 20 dollar bill in the trash.

Agree!! Thank you for being very civil to my post. We are closer to same beliefs that we were yesterday.

Blastmaster

Short Wagon not Short Bus…….and I didn't sell you a thing! :P

I'm just curious why you didn't even try to support your position on the $600 issue...that's what started all this...and having Short Wagon Straw Man the whole discussion.

Phantom

$20 more a year...

How many beers does that equal per month?

or...about 7 gallons of gas...wonder how many Big Macs that $20 will buy...

Hmmmmm...tough choices.

Yea - I'm paying it and have no problem doing so.

Phantom

At least then I have 7 gallons of gas or a couple of Big Macs instead of a wallet card nobody asks to see and my fourteenth SASS Sheriff decal, absolutely no other personal benefit......

I sent you a PM to try to resolve the situation as I didnt try in any way to threaten anyone and couldnt see how you could take it that way. you chose to be rude and got more threatening than I ever did. If you want to continue this in PM's we can. I tried to resolve any situation we were having and that is both my private AND public persona. I extended the olive branch, you burned it.

That's your version of events not mine. I'm willing to concede that now more facts have come to light your analogy of physical contact was nothing to be threaten by.

So release the doves, extend the olive branch, live long and prosper

That's your version of events not mine. I'm willing to concede that now more facts have come to light your analogy of physical contact was nothing to be threaten by.

So release the doves, extend the olive branch, live long and prosper

Thank you sir, and I wish to apologize again. I was part of the problem that let it get out of hand.

Let's get real on this.....what you get from SASS is the official sanctioning of a match, be it State, Regional, Divisional, National or World and a set of rules to run each by. Without those two things, we are just a bunch of folks who like to shoot. If the recognition of shooting an "official" match means anything to you, then only you can know if it's "worth" what you pay to participate.

At least then I have 7 gallons of gas or a couple of Big Macs instead of a wallet card nobody asks to see and my fourteenth SASS Sheriff decal, absolutely no other personal benefit......

And we all know that there is no reason to support anything if there are no little goodies that one can pocket.

So many folks just wantwantwant...ya know, I want there to be a sanctioning body around to keep this game going.

And do you reeeeealy need anymore Big Macs?

Phantom

When I joined I dint know about "big" shoots or any other "benefits". I just wanted to belong!!!

I just wanted to be a member of SASS. It's a cowboy thing, ya know?

But $65 a year is too much for this nearing retirement but never retiring cowgirl to swing.

I'm out.

Warmest regards,

L.T.

P.S. For some folks, $45 was a lot. The $20 is just the tipping point. If you cannot imagine that $45 is a lot of money to some, well then more power to you. I remember a time in my life when it did not seem like so much myself. Things change.

I still love SASS. If in the future thing change for me, I will be back.

I'm going to regret adding anything to this thread..... Momma told me to never get involved in religious or political discussions.

This thread is by far turning into a comedy of errors. It's so ridicules it's becoming not funny..... People are asking the same questions over and over again.

To break it down, it seems there are two main arguments.

The $20 bucks the dues has been increased

And/or what do you get for it.

Well, Misty has already several times explained what you get for it that most have never bothered to read but keeps asking the same question. And the $20 bucks? That seems to be the line between staying/becoming a member or leaving?

For me, I didn't even give it a thought as to what I got in return. I already knew..... And I'll continue to support SASS and my local club.

With exception of when I owned a boat (which I've since sold) this is by far the most expensive hobby I've been involved with. $20 bucks is the breaking point? No..... If it got bad, maybe I'll skip four or five Starbucks during the next year to make up for it.

I'll just throw this in also as just ONE thing they are faced with as far as there continuing cost. Everyone is here typing on the SASS forum. I've seen at least one post where someone said the forum is free. Uh.... Not so much. Anyone wanna take a gander as to how much it cost for the servers, upkeep and maintenance of hardware and software, internet, battery backups, maintaining backups of data etc etc etc?

I'm the IT admin for a law firm with only 80 people in four offices. We pay a HUGE amount of money per month in those services plus me to take care of it all.

Personally I think this post has run its course. Either you're in or you're out. Pick one and move on.

MISTY,

I'm staying. And bill be for $70 a year and put the extra $5 towards somebody else who can't muster up the gold.

I guess this means I'll be hanging around the Wire little longer calling Phantom a Borg..... :P

..........Widder

I'm going to regret adding anything to this thread..... Momma told me to never get involved in religious or political discussions.

This thread is by far turning into a comedy of errors. It's so ridicules it's becoming not funny..... People are asking the same questions over and over again.

To break it down, it seems there are two main arguments.

The $20 bucks the dues has been increased

And/or what do you get for it.

Well, Misty has already several times explained what you get for it that most have never bothered to read but keeps asking the same question. And the $20 bucks? That seems to be the line between staying/becoming a member or leaving?

For me, I didn't even give it a thought as to what I got in return. I already knew..... And I'll continue to support SASS and my local club.

With exception of when I owned a boat (which I've since sold) this is by far the most expensive hobby I've been involved with. $20 bucks is the breaking point? No..... If it got bad, maybe I'll skip four or five Starbucks during the next year to make up for it.

I'll just throw this in also as just ONE thing they are faced with as far as there continuing cost. Everyone is here typing on the SASS forum. I've seen at least one post where someone said the forum is free. Uh.... Not so much. Anyone wanna take a gander as to how much it cost for the servers, upkeep and maintenance of hardware and software, internet, battery backups, maintaining backups of data etc etc etc?

I'm the IT admin for a law firm with only 80 people in four offices. We pay a HUGE amount of money per month in those services plus me to take care of it all.

Personally I think this post has run its course. Either you're in or you're out. Pick one and move on.

I would assume that some of the expenses that SASS has to keep the wire running is volunteered by some members or at least discounted. Just a guess on my part and I could very well be way off target! :)

I would assume that some of the expenses that SASS has to keep the wire running is volunteered by some members or at least discounted. Just a guess on my part and I could very well be way off target! :)

Never assume unless you have facts to back that up.

I've been with SASS for 2 years. Haven't been to one shoot or join a club, only because the closest club to me is about 60 miles and the thought of driving 120 miles round trip in Houston traffic is beyond what I want to do.

I do shoot at local gun ranges but they look at me funny when I arrive wearing vintage cowboy gear :)

But I continue my membership because I like the sport and what SASS is doing.

As Johnny Dollar said, this is an extremely expensive sport. $20 isn't going to make or break me.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 1, 2015 - insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 1, 2015 - insult

Never assume unless you have facts to back that up.

I've been with SASS for 2 years. Haven't been to one shoot or join a club, only because the closest club to me is about 60 miles and the thought of driving 120 miles round trip in Houston traffic is beyond what I want to do.

I do shoot at local gun ranges but they look at me funny when I arrive wearing vintage cowboy gear :)

But I continue my membership because I like the sport and what SASS is doing.

As Johnny Dollar said, this is an extremely expensive sport. $20 isn't going to make or break me.

To assume is to "take for granted, or suppose", I would only need the facts if I said that this is the truth! I simply said I assume. Maybe you ought to check with a dictionary before you go telling people what to say! :wacko:

Archived