SASS Wire Forum

SASS Membership Fees

Tommy Reb

How about the $600.00 ad you must take out in the CC to have a SASS sanctioned state shoot? A little much to pay for almost nothing in return!

$600.00?????????

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Folks,

I think guests should be allowed to post. They may want to know many things about SASS before joining.

However, when someone is not current with their dues and continues to post, long term, especially criticism, as if they were a member, I find that dishonorable and believe that members should be aware of the person's SASS membership status so they know what/who they are dealing with. For example, is this a dissatisfied member or someone who isn't even a member and may just find venting about something entertaining.

Regards,

Allie "just one of the posters, not a moderator" Mo

Hi Allie,

It's one thing if a guests ask questions about joining SASS. It is something different if they have hundreds of posts. How about maybe having a forum where guests can ask questions about joining and what is needed to participate?

Nawlins

How about the $600.00 ad you must take out in the CC to have a SASS sanctioned state shoot? A little much to pay for almost nothing in return!

$600.00?????????

Well how much should it be...????

I'd love to know.

Phantom

Well how much should it be...????

I'd love to know.

Phantom

Much less than $600.00!!!

Much less than $600.00!!!

Well there ya go...typical.

So you don't know...but yet you KNOW that $600 is too much.

Tell me, what exactly does SASS do for the money? Do you know that? You should since you've made a value judgement that they are charging too much.

Phantom

Sass is not a welfare program, nor should it be. It doesn't owe anyone free memberships. If things are that tight, a guy ought to be working, or saving his money. If a kid is old enough, and responsible enough to shoot, they're old enough to cut grass, ect, to help out. What's wrong with paying what you owe? I paid a life membership a yr ago, and it was a drop in the bucket considering fuel costs. I plan on donating to sass from time to time. Surely we're better than all this.

Maybe some of us have already worked for forty-seven and a half years and now find themselves on a fixed income.

Maybe my seven year old grandson isn't quite big enough to run a lawnmower by himself, but he can sure run a pair of Model P Juniors well enough to participate.

Quite possibly, his grandfather was canny enough to collect the guns while he was still working, but struggles now to make a few of the ends meet! (I know, sell the guns.... Oh! That won't work! Then the kid has nothing to shoot!!)

Maybe Granddad was lucky enough that he and his spouse have survived several medical events and any extra funds were consumed by the bills.

Yeah!! What you say sounds a little hollow to some of the rest of us!! <_<<_<<_<

A true World Championship should be moved around to different counties from time to time.

While I see your point, I can also understand why that doesn't happen. But I don't understand why it can't be moved around the continental US every so often, as I said some place like Sparta a more centralized location.

This is a revenue issue SASS is having, more participation means more $$$, again is Founders self sustaining or is it a money pit that most of the members of SASS will probably never see much less shoot at.

It would be sad if this was the case, it would be one thing to support the game and the organization, yet another to be paying for legacy. I hope this is not part of the problem, I doubt we would ever be allowed to know that, and in the end I for one will keep paying my dues, to play the game I love, and see the friends I love being around every weekend.

All the while hoping that the owners are honest with themselves us and the game they created to do the right things with the $$$ we pay them to support their game that we pay to play!

Spades H.

Tell me, what exactly does SASS do for the money? Do you know that? You should since you've made a value judgement that they are charging too much.

Phantom

So you don't know ...but yet you know that $600 is fair.

Tell me, what exactly does SASS do for the Money? DO you know that? You should since you've made a value judgement that they are charging a fair price.

Since SASS wont answer 3 questions (What do we actually get for our membership, Do we subsidise EOT and Founders Ranch, are we Members or Customers) it makes some of us wonder. Instead of getting an answer from SASS on those questions I get people making this personal and criticizing the person asking.

$600.00 is much less than $1,000.00

A punch to the gut is much less than a 2x4 to the face. It still doesnt explain why you got hit but it sure do hurt less.

So you don't know ...but yet you know that $600 is fair.

Tell me, what exactly does SASS do for the Money? DO you know that? You should since you've made a value judgement that they are charging a fair price.

Since SASS wont answer 3 questions (What do we actually get for our membership, Do we subsidise EOT and Founders Ranch, are we Members or Customers) it makes some of us wonder. Instead of getting an answer from SASS on those questions I get people making this personal and criticizing the person asking.

Wow...didn't know I address this question to you.

Perhaps I misunderstand you pointed finish to your post...but whatever...the person I was addressing my question to made a statement and was NOT asking a question.

Phantom

Wow...didn't know I address this question to you.

Perhaps I misunderstand you pointed finish to your post...but whatever...the person I was addressing my question to made a statement and was NOT asking a question.

Phantom

You made a judgement based on his statement then asked a question. I was simply returning the favor. I think it is up to SASS to explain what we get for our money and not random members.

You made a judgement based on his statement then asked a question. I was simply returning the favor. I think it is up to SASS to explain what we get for our money and not random members.

Short Wagon has brought up a valid point and if you don't get his metaphors than you're just not too bright! :P

Please tell me that is not a threat

How could this me taken as a threat? I did not even come close to saying that I was going to hit anybody. I am using your logic that $600 is less than $1000. Was that a threat to steal from me? No, you were pointing out that it could be worse. I was not threatening to hit anyone just pointing out that I would rather be hit in the gut than smacked in the face with a 2x4. But that is in NO WAY a threat OR an invitation to do either.

Blackwater, I guess I was raised a little different. At age 7, I did mow grass, raise hogs, fed cows, and went to school. I'm a 5th generation farmer, and know a little about hard work, and hard times. We didn't go spend money on things we couldn't afford, until we could afford it. Cas has provided something that my wife and I can do together when we're not working, and we feel we owe sass a lot. I don't want to see your grandson have to quit shooting. If you will give me a name, and address, I'll be glad to pay a year's membership for him.

Phantom

I don't know what SASS does for the money and no one has answered my question!!!! So you tell me what you think they do for the money??? The last BP State shoot and this particular club got nothing but some SASS brochures and some pins (I think) that's it! $600.00???? I ask again what does the host club get for $600.00 but an ad in the virtual chronicle that no one reads! :blink:

Please tell me that is not a threat

Are you kidding me??? A threat??? What the heck are you smoking'???

I just signed up for three years, so this isnt a post about the cost.

I laugh everytime I read a post about how the Benefit of our money paid is the ability to read the Wire. Do you not all realize that MOST forums are free for the membership. You can just sign up, read and post. So that is no real benefit.

From my short time here, here is what I see on the wire.

A for sale section. (almost every forum has that for free)

A section of current events posts and jokes ( almost every forum has that for free)

A section where everyone complains about something. (every forum has that for free)

A section where every post is someone asking "what is the call". Because of the constant nitpicking of the rules.

None of these things is a real benefit to the Cowboy shooter. So I cant imagine that everyone keeps throwing that out as a benefit. Why not list the real benefits you get from membership?

I made a judgement????

Where?

:wacko:

I don't know what SASS does for the money and no one has answered my question!!!! So you tell me what you think they do for the money??? The last BP State shoot and this particular club got nothing but some SASS brochures and some pins (I think) that's it! $600.00???? I ask again what does the host club get for $600.00 but an ad in the virtual chronicle that no one reads! :blink:

Why would I be so arrogant to think that I know what the proper cost should be???

Perhaps if I was privy to the discussions within the board of SASS I might have an intelligent answer for you.

But next time you run yer little BP match...just don't have SASS sanction it. Save your $600.

Phantom

I made a judgement????

Where?

:wacko:

I am not sure if you really dont know the answer to your question or if you are trying to get me to say something inappropriate. SO instead I will leave you with a Thomas Jefferson quote about beer that has nothing to do with this conversation either.

“Beer, if drunk in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.” - Thomas Jefferson

I am not sure if you really dont know the answer to your question or if you are trying to get me to say something inappropriate. SO instead I will leave you with a Thomas Jefferson quote about beer that has nothing to do with this conversation either.

“Beer, if drunk in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.” - Thomas Jefferson

Another skirt...

And I'll leave you with one: What I see is Me.

WAJ...which equals: What a Joke.

Phantom

Blackwater, I guess I was raised a little different. At age 7, I did mow grass, raise hogs, fed cows, and went to school. I'm a 5th generation farmer, and know a little about hard work, and hard times. We didn't go spend money on things we couldn't afford, until we could afford it. Cas has provided something that my wife and I can do together when we're not working, and we feel we owe sass a lot. I don't want to see your grandson have to quit shooting. If you will give me a name, and address, I'll be glad to pay a year's membership for him.

I'm good! I was making a point about the "welfare" comment. As far as hard work, I started in a factory job at age 14. Before that I mowed grass, hauled hay, herded cattle and worked in a garage. I also painted houses. I spent my early adult years with wrenches, torches, welders, and big machines. I'm now disabled and STILL build custom bikes, cars, and the occasional cowboy hat! These things can put a few extra dollars in my pocket, but not on a regular basis.

My son was driving a 5000 Ford tractor and Bush Hog at age seven. He works hard too and still struggles to make ends meet. The seven year old grandson is learning to do things as well.

We, as a family, are far more likely to offer help than to ask for it. The "welfare" remark was offensive to all of us who at times find it difficult to come up with a little extra cash and don't appreciate a 44% surprise increase. We aren't looking for any free ride, just a little consideration of our perspective!!!

Another skirt...

And I'll leave you with one: What I see is Me.

WAJ...which equals: What a Joke.

Phantom

After reading that post I must apologize, I didnt realize that when you see yourself you see a joke. I thought you were being serious. Good luck with that!

Heads up,, the Cost of Living on everything will continue to rise. College tuition too.

What would be your feeling and decision today if you knew six months ago about the $20 increase? About the same decision, you wouldn't renew your two sons membership. Does this mean you will not attend State and above matches w/o your family participation?

$130 will about buy a person 2,000 rds of lead bullets.

No fame intended but just wondering

My kids don't care to shoot. I bought them memberships anyway both to try and encourage them to participate and to help SASS as I am a Life Member and don't have annual dues.

The cost of an annual membership, in my mind is less of an issue, than the way in which it is raised suddenly and without warning. I can afford it, I can afford it for my kids, I could gift memberships to multiple people and it wouldn't change anything in my life. But my Grandparents lived through the Great Depression, My father grew up during it, I've been raised to not waste money. (If you know me, you know that didn't really take all that well) If prices rise suddenly and without advance notice, people look for alternative options. NCOWS isn't for me nor is it an adequate substitute. I like SASS, I like the people and I see tremendous potential. It isn't 65.00 a year though. It is so much more for the guns and gear and match fees, club fees and travel etc.

It may be just 20 bucks, but how many of you would just randomly throw a 20 dollar bill in the trash.

WOW! It's a cyber war and to heck with the Geneva Conventions! Two by fours, perceived threats, wow!

So, they jacked up the price. They're a monopoly, that's what monopolies do. Is it fair? What is fair? Do I like it, no. But I don't dislike it enough to take my marbles and go home, nor do I think it's 'unfair'.

To those of you who think that the 20 dollar hike is insignificant, try a little perspective. Next year I'll have four people shooting SASS, so that's $220 to renew for me. I'll pay it, it's not that significant to me, but I know plenty of pards who it is significant to. It's a shame, but inevitably some will let their membership lapse. They will still be welcome to shoot while I'm MD.

I'm sure SASS ran the numbers and accounted for that, it's called profit maximization. They've decided that their membership is price inelastic and that a price jump will maximize income, or minimize losses.

Fair isn't a part of the discussion, it's a business. I don't think what they did was unfair anymore than I thought it was unfair when my company jacked the cost they charge for me up by $25 an hour. It's just business.

I think a bigger problem may be the membership fee for clubs and or a $1 surcharge which I believe I saw someone mentioned. I know there's no way I'm going to go to the trouble of collecting proof of membership to minimize our club fees, so we'll be paying whatever the max cost is, assuming our Gun Club doesn't begin to view us as a money pit. I'm also not going to be going to the trouble of collecting money at monthly matches and sending it to SASS. If they push the level of effort and cost required to stay SASS affiliated too high then some folks won't have the time or inclination to jump through those hoops.

I see almost no value in SASS affiliation when a club never hosts anything higher than an annual match. What's to stop the club from dropping the affiliation yet continuing to follow SASS rules? I bet almost nobody in the club would care or likely even notice. All you would lose is the little blurb and link to the clubs website on the SASS site. I bet I get at least one or two extra shooters a year from that.

The worst part of this is what's happening on this thread. Folks who should be friends and allies attacking each other.

WOW! It's a cyber war and to heck with the Geneva Conventions! Two by fours, perceived threats, wow!

So, they jacked up the price. They're a monopoly, that's what monopolies do. Is it fair? What is fair? Do I like it, no. But I don't dislike it enough to take my marbles and go home, nor do I think it's 'unfair'.

To those of you who think that the 20 dollar hike is insignificant, try a little perspective. Next year I'll have four people shooting SASS, so that's $220 to renew for me. I'll pay it, it's not that significant to me, but I know plenty of pards who it is significant to. It's a shame, but inevitably some will let their membership lapse. They will still be welcome to shoot while I'm MD.

I'm sure SASS ran the numbers and accounted for that, it's called profit maximization. They've decided that their membership is price inelastic and that a price jump will maximize income, or minimize losses.

Fair isn't a part of the discussion, it's a business. I don't think what they did was unfair anymore than I thought it was unfair when my company jacked the cost they charge for me up by $25 an hour. It's just business.

I think a bigger problem may be the membership fee for clubs and or a $1 surcharge which I believe I saw someone mentioned. I know there's no way I'm going to go to the trouble of collecting proof of membership to minimize our club fees, so we'll be paying whatever the max cost is, assuming our Gun Club doesn't begin to view us as a money pit. I'm also not going to be going to the trouble of collecting money at monthly matches and sending it to SASS. If they push the level of effort and cost required to stay SASS affiliated too high then some folks won't have the time or inclination to jump through those hoops.

I see almost no value in SASS affiliation when a club never hosts anything higher than an annual match. What's to stop the club from dropping the affiliation yet continuing to follow SASS rules? I bet almost nobody in the club would care or likely even notice. All you would lose is the little blurb and link to the clubs website on the SASS site. I bet I get at least one or two extra shooters a year from that.

The worst part of this is what's happening on this thread. Folks who should be friends and allies attacking each other.

Well said. This would be a great post to end on, wouldn't it?

Very good points. This got personal and should not have. From now on if I have questions about how they run their business I will email SASS so we can avoid answers from everyone else. Sorry to anyone who took it personally.

Captain Bill Burt,

In regard to "I see almost no value in SASS affiliation"..... I implore you to see my pinned post, "SASS-The Organization".

Misty Moonshine

Captain Bill Burt,

In regard to "I see almost no value in SASS affiliation"..... I implore you to see my pinned post, "SASS-The Organization".

Misty Moonshine

Hi Misty, I just did. Very nice!

Please note, I didn't say no value in SASS. There are obviously benefits to clubs from the existence of SASS, but as it is currently structured clubs get those benefits with or without affiliation, as long as SASS continues. I want to be affiliated, clearly. I've contributed my time in a variety of ways to support this sport. I just want to point out that everyone who helps to make our local club run does so for free, so please don't impose undue administrative burdens on us that absorb more of what we're currently freely offering.

You sound like you're a good, hard working family. I think it's time for us to all pitch in, and help sass out. Price of wheat is a dollar below production right now, and it's been a drought yr, so things aren't good up this way either. If sass needs another 20 dollars or so, I'm fine with it. When the price of fertilizer, and chemical jumps up by 50 percent, I pay for it and raise the best crop I can. Reason being, I owe that to my family, and those who consume our crops. Many people don't think this way, and won't pull their weight at all. Guess i'll stand behind what I said.

Archived