SASS Wire Forum

SASS Membership Fees

Tommy Reb

Let's see... I've been a member since 1987... and shooting in this game since 1985... and since 1987, EVERY time I show up to shoot a match at an affiliated club, I'm asked two things, my SASS # and SASS Alias. I've been Griff at every single one of them. From Washington to Florida, California to Maine, I'm Griff, and anyone else claiming to be such is a wannabe! Frankly, that alone is worth the fees I've paid. I ain't all that creative, and if you'd paid attention, that probably describes a LOT of people, if the number of new members asking for help on an alias is any indication, coming up with a new alias everytime you want to shoot might be a little off-putting!

My son, who thought he'd been given a life membership after winning the Jr. title at EOT in 1990 quit paying his dues... and when, after his military service went to sign up at a match found that someone else had taken his alias... It was a little disconcerting to him to have to find a new alias, and with a SASS # of 1111, his previous one, "4 Aces" was perfect!

It may not seem like a big deal, but when you find your identity "stolen", you might come to think a little security is worth a small fee?

Keeping your alias is worth $65.00 a year??? An alias is just an alias, I could shoot no matter what they call me! ..and they do call me other names, believe me! :lol:

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keeping your alias is worth $65.00 a year??? An alias is just an alias, I could shoot no matter what they call me! ..and they do call me other names, believe me! :lol:

Boy !! Can I relate to that part!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::o:lol::lol:

If I remember my discussion when I renewed Monday, something about putting the Chronicle in print again, and then every quarter send it out?

I liked getting mine in the email to be honest..but that's just my opinion, we just re-upped for the 2nd year

Yes, W.J. -

The Cowboy Chronicle will be printed and mailed to all SASS members in January as a quarterly magazine publication. You will recieve the mailed copy quarterly, and we will continue to produce and distribute the digital edition on each of the other 8 months.

Misty

Yes, W.J. -

The Cowboy Chronicle will be printed and mailed to all SASS members in January as a quarterly magazine publication. You will recieve the mailed copy quarterly, and we will continue to produce and distribute the digital edition on each of the other 8 months.

Misty

That's GREAT news, thanks Misty! ;)

Let's see... I've been a member since 1987... and shooting in this game since 1985... and since 1987, EVERY time I show up to shoot a match at an affiliated club, I'm asked two things, my SASS # and SASS Alias. I've been Griff at every single one of them. From Washington to Florida, California to Maine, I'm Griff, and anyone else claiming to be such is a wannabe! Frankly, that alone is worth the fees I've paid. I ain't all that creative, and if you'd paid attention, that probably describes a LOT of people, if the number of new members asking for help on an alias is any indication, coming up with a new alias everytime you want to shoot might be a little off-putting!

My son, who thought he'd been given a life membership after winning the Jr. title at EOT in 1990 quit paying his dues... and when, after his military service went to sign up at a match found that someone else had taken his alias... It was a little disconcerting to him to have to find a new alias, and with a SASS # of 1111, his previous one, "4 Aces" was perfect!

It may not seem like a big deal, but when you find your identity "stolen", you might come to think a little security is worth a small fee?

IMHO, maintaining my identity is worth $65.00 a year, YMMV.

When there is a 44% dues increase to $65 it is time to decide what value there is to those dues for the average shooter who will never see Founders Ranch or shoot in one of the two national matches.

For the average shooter you get a tin star, a rules book, access to an internet page and an alias.

I belong to several other organizations and a comparison is in order.

My BASS dues are $25 and for that I get a professional magazine, gift pack when I join or renew, access to tournaments, boat theft insurance a web sight and other benefits.

The NRA dues are $25 dollars and we all know what we get from them

I think my RMEF dues are $35 again another good magazine and conservation efforts that are making a real impact here in Pennsylvania.

The NWTF and NMLRA are about the same good value

SASS has long claimed to be the fastest growing shooting sport but we know that is far from true at this time. SASS is in fact not growing in fact it is loosing members, while SASS has issued 103,000 numbers by it's own count it is down to less than 30,000 and falling.

SASS needs to find out what the problem is and take care of it soon or it will be gone in a very short time.

If SASS thinks that a 44% dues increase will stop the slide they are very wrong, this dues increase will in fact hasten it's demise, and a great sport will be gone, I hope that doesn't hapen

When there is a 44% dues increase to $65 it is time to decide what value there is to those dues for the average shooter who will never see Founders Ranch or shoot in one of the two national matches.

For the average shooter you get a tin star, a rules book, access to an internet page and an alias.

I belong to several other organizations and a comparison is in order.

My BASS dues are $25 and for that I get a professional magazine, gift pack when I join or renew, access to tournaments, boat theft insurance a web sight and other benefits.

The NRA dues are $25 dollars and we all know what we get from them

I think my RMEF dues are $35 again another good magazine and conservation efforts that are making a real impact here in Pennsylvania.

The NWTF and NMLRA are about the same good value

SASS has long claimed to be the fastest growing shooting sport but we know that is far from true at this time. SASS is in fact not growing in fact it is loosing members, while SASS has issued 103,000 numbers by it's own count it is down to less than 30,000 and falling.

SASS needs to find out what the problem is and take care of it soon or it will be gone in a very short time.

If SASS thinks that a 44% dues increase will stop the slide they are very wrong, this dues increase will in fact hasten it's demise, and a great sport will be gone, I hope that doesn't happen

You are not a member!

So the increase does not affect a 'Guest'

We all like something for free. I go to Costco and the free samples taste amazing and then I buy the product and it doesn't taste nearly as good. I feel the membership costs were to low. I would think most people would also think it was pretty low and to low sense SASS started. So once you figure what an ok increase would be. I'm guessing we're now talking about a very little amount of money if any at all. I feel bad for the people that don't realize what SASS does for this sport. If you don't know ,that just tells me you haven't got to know the small handful of employees that work their butts off to help run SASS and that tells me you haven't seen all the things they do to keep this an ORGANIZED sport. Every single thing SASS does to keep this sport going costs money. Every photo copy they need to make costs money. Every time somebody calls the SASS office to ask a question they feel is important it costs money to have somebody answer the phone. I feel bad for the people that work for SASS. I'm betting they don't hear to often about the good job they do and I bet they hear constantly how bad things are. I can tell you I've ran a lot of good businesses and I couldn't run SASS any better. So I won't second guess them now. I don't have to like every choice they make, but I'm not going to be an arm chair quarterback either. That's not the Cowboy way. I know everybody's budget is different and it's tough for larger families to spend that money, but I've got two boys that I hope enjoy this sport as much as I do and I'm hoping you great Cowboys are still there to help mentor them into great young men. I started really young and some of the best mentors I had were my SASS family. Just my thoughts on the matter. I hope to see you all on the range.

+1 Well said BS

I think if Misty Go's back and tracks the membership decline numbers. That starting in 2009 to now things have been on a steady downhill slide and I think a lot of it has to do the economy or lack there of and the late 08 crash. A lot of people were put into hard times and there hasn't been a real economic recovery.

Just my 2 cents but I would bet I'm right.

Misty,

Thanks you for explaining everything and your hard work to help SASS!!!!

I would like to make a suggestion. IMHO I think that since the forum is being paid by the members then the time has come that anyone who is not a member should not be allowed to "Post" period. I find it appalling that there are posters who are not Members have a soap box to give their insight on what you are trying to do for SASS . If they really think their opinion really matters they could spend a little over $ 1 a week for the privilege.

Nawlins

None of us are members, we are customers. That seems to slip all of your minds. We have no direct say in operations and SASS is still a for profit company owned by individuals. It may be transitioning to a not for profit or non profit-I'm unclear on that point, but as of today, the owners are calling the shots. That they choose to call themselves a board of directors is irrelevant for now.

Telling guests that their not welcome is not helpful. Guests, hopefully, become "members"-unless they have bad experiences.

just my opinion, but this seems to be much to do about nothing......I spend more than 20 bucks a day on stuff I probably dont even need.....I can see where there should be a discount for families that sign up.

Was there any thought for some small charge for receiving the printed copy of the quarterly paper. I would be willing to pay a little something ($15-$20 a year) to help out. And keep the membership at $65. No problem with me.

None of us are members, we are customers. That seems to slip all of your minds. We have no direct say in operations and SASS is still a for profit company owned by individuals. It may be transitioning to a not for profit or non profit-I'm unclear on that point, but as of today, the owners are calling the shots. That they choose to call themselves a board of directors is irrelevant for now.

Telling guests that their not welcome is not helpful. Guests, hopefully, become "members"-unless they have bad experiences.

I'm not against guests from viewing the forum just they should not be able to post. As you stated we are customers so then anyone who has paid their membership have paid for the privilege for posting.

Nawlins

+1 It makes sense to let non members post as a lot of them have come here in the past with good questions. Before we signed up I used the SASS wire to contact the president of the first club we planned to attend to ask questions that I couldnt find the answer to reading the forums.

Misty,

Thanks you for explaining everything and your hard work to help SASS!!!!

I would like to make a suggestion. IMHO I think that since the forum is being paid by the members then the time has come that anyone who is not a member should not be allowed to "Post" period. I find it appalling that there are posters who are not Members have a soap box to give their insight on what you are trying to do for SASS . If they really think their opinion really matters they could spend a little over $ 1 a week for the privilege.

Nawlins

YES

I'm not against guests from viewing the forum just they should not be able to post. As you stated we are customers so then anyone who has paid their membership have paid for the privilege for posting.

Nawlins

Did you ever think that there is a reason that I and about 50,000 other previous dues paying members stopped paying? SASS had better figure out that answer or the end is in sight, that is just the reality of the situation, you can deny it all you want but SASS is in deep trouble. Lower the dues to where the other organizations charge and I'll pay them again in a minute just as I do for 5 other groups

Did you ever think that there is a reason that I and about 50,000 other previous dues paying members stopped paying? SASS had better figure out that answer or the end is in sight, that is just the reality of the situation, you can deny it all you want but SASS is in deep trouble. Lower the dues to where the other organizations charge and I'll pay them again in a minute just as I do for 5 other groups

Pay first then maybe I'll listen. You just being on here for FREE then having the nerve to run down SASS on their dime is Weak. You show up from time to time just to say ill crap. You left. Get over it. We have

Hello Folks,

I think guests should be allowed to post. They may want to know many things about SASS before joining.

However, when someone is not current with their dues and continues to post, long term, especially criticism, as if they were a member, I find that dishonorable and believe that members should be aware of the person's SASS membership status so they know what/who they are dealing with. For example, is this a dissatisfied member or someone who isn't even a member and may just find venting about something entertaining.

Regards,

Allie "just one of the posters, not a moderator" Mo

SASS should require that shooters present their current membership card at every shoot---just like SAM's Wholesale

Especially if a 1$ participation surcharge will be required as has been floated.

By requiring a current SASS ID then we would have more paying customers and could have greater overall cash flow

( Same principle that Kennedy and Reagan applied by lowering tax rates)

Sass is not a welfare program, nor should it be. It doesn't owe anyone free memberships. If things are that tight, a guy ought to be working, or saving his money. If a kid is old enough, and responsible enough to shoot, they're old enough to cut grass, ect, to help out. What's wrong with paying what you owe? I paid a life membership a yr ago, and it was a drop in the bucket considering fuel costs. I plan on donating to sass from time to time. Surely we're better than all this.

Hello Folks,

I think guests should be allowed to post. They may want to know many things about SASS before joining.

However, when someone is not current with their dues and continues to post, long term, especially criticism, as if they were a member, I find that dishonorable and believe that members should be aware of the person's SASS membership status so they know what/who they are dealing with. For example, is this a dissatisfied member or someone who isn't even a member and may just find venting about something entertaining.

Regards,

Allie "just one of the posters, not a moderator" Mo

deleted

Isn’t there another CAS outfit? NOCOW or something like that, that is owned by the membership?

There wouldn't have been attorneys fees for lawsuits, shrinking revenues from vendors not coming to EOT, shrinking revenues from spectators not coming to EOT, shrinking revenues from shooters not coming to EOT, if the Wild Bunch had not bought a "pig in the poke" called Flounders Ranch in New Mexico because their was a buffalo roaming around the property. The financial problems of SASS started with moving to NM instead of doing some research to determine where would be the best area of the country to continue the revenue they were getting at EOT when it was in CA.

Sorry, this active SASS member since 1995 has no sympathy for the financial situation SASS has created for itself.

Well any organization needs revenue to function and there are multiple ways raise that revenue. When the NRA felt they needed more revenue it offered life membership at a promotional price and well they increased their revenue. NRA members felt like they made a difference and they were price protected from future financial stresses that come from sharp increases in annual renewal costs.

Maybe SASS should look to offer, for brief period of time, a promotional rate for lifetime membership. It would bring in a lot of cash in a very brief timeframe. Shooters will be vested in the continuation of SASS .

The active members of SASS are the best marketing there is for promoting our sport and for brining in friends, family and others who will be the next generation of SASS shooters. Provide the incentive now so that we can invest in the current needs and expose the next generation to cowboy action shooting.

Wyatt Hurts

I agree with Lone Spur Jake.

I was at the last EOT in California and the upcoming move to New Mexico was a well guarded secret until it was anounced well after the awards at the Waddies party.

According to California pards trucks started rolling in later that same afternoon and began the loading to New Mexico. I was heading to Las Vegus to catch a plane home.

Some may remember Chisler who was part of the Wild Bunch and was the marketing guy or some such function. The word on the trail is that it was Chilser who was the mover and shaker that started the whole Founders Ranch relocation.

Many of you will ask who was Chisler? Well, he was someone who left SASS under strained circumstances.

This 44% increase debate reminds me of the TV advertisements about grocery store products stating you get 10,20,30% MORE breakfast cereal or soap, or soft drink for your purchase. 20% more from what? If one added up all the 20%'s more over a ten year period for that particular product, you would need a semi truck to haul it away.

It is an eye opener to see how many SASS members are living on the financial edge, where an additional $20 per year will ruin them..If I was that close to financial ruin, then I would immediately scale back (only shoot local matches, and fewer of those) or drop non essential (SASS) activities. Sorry to hear of people's financial delima's.

Getting Value for the price. $65 membership is a chunk of change. One must decide for themselves. This Wire and all the dog fights and drama that occur daily is a form of entertainment. Your allias has value,,,,About the same as what's on TV. Fast food joints offer a happy meal for some good coins now-a-days, I don't care if they go to $15 per hour, ain't going in and haven't been in for a number of years.. No value for the money there for me,,,, unless it is a bathroom break in the mix..

About everyone has a cell phone and the monthly bill is greater that $65. I bet all of us 'could' live w/o cellphones, we did before, could do it again if needed to.

SASS is an expensive hobby and more expensive when you have a family. so, each of us has to decide what is important in our lives. Either hitch up with SASS or any other organization, or fade off into the sunset and do something else.

Just a view.

Always wondered why EOT wasn't moved around the country to different venues every few yrs? Would give a lot more people the chance to shoot it.

Seems like a place like Sparta would have been a great location to have EOT every few yrs, right in the gut of the country. Maybe SASS would draw a lot more shooters having the world championships more centrally located instead of where it is now.

Just a thought, I know from talking with other shooters many say the same thing, wish EOT was held in a more centralized location.

Also wonder what Founders cost to keep and run? Does it pay for its self, or is it a money pit?

Spades H.

I find it fascinating that someone who let their membership lapse ( which is your right) still continues to post on the forum ( paid for by others) to inform us about whats wrong with SASS.

I do have a couple of questions for you.

1. Are you grateful that SASS allows you to use the forum?

2. Would I be correct that you decided to leave on your own so what is your reason behind all the bashing?

I have nothing against members who what to state their feelings on SASS. BY expressing their feelings the members are trying help to keep SASS going,

If you really care about SASS come back and help instead of bashing.

Nawlins

Always wondered why EOT wasn't moved around the country to different venues every few yrs? Would give a lot more people the chance to shoot it.

Seems like a place like Sparta would have been a great location to have EOT every few yrs, right in the gut of the country. Maybe SASS would draw a lot more shooters having the world championships more centrally located instead of where it is now.

Just a thought, I know from talking with other shooters many say the same thing, wish EOT was held in a more centralized location.

Also wonder what Founders cost to keep and run? Does it pay for its self, or is it a money pit?

Spades H.

A true World Championship should be moved around to different counties from time to time.

Chisler may have initiated actions, but the remaining owners approved of and have continued to pursue those measures. Why would you toss him out as a scape goat now. Poor form.

It is really simple. The owners mismanaged the business and now they are trying to repair the damage before converting it to a Non or not for profit organization. If you want SASS to survive, pay the money.

But they sure could have given us a heads up that this was coming or done it in a better manner. I may be a life member, but my two sons memberships will not be renewed. I don't have $130 to waste. Hopefully my decision won't cause dues to go up further.

Amazing how folks with 20-20 hindsight are not the folks who initiate & completely invest their lives and resources into a venture but can tell you how it should have been accomplished and all the mistakes that have been made. Reminds me of those well meaning church members that drive a wedge in a congregation causing a church to split and then can't understand, what happened to our lovely church. Some folks enjoy pouring salt into a wound and consider it their life's mission where ever they go. Remember that kid in the neighborhood that didn't like the kids club's rules and always wanted to start their own club? We ALL make mistakes and errors in judgment but poking a stick in someone's eye does little to resolve an issue and move forward.

I want SASS/CAS to continue and thank the WILD BUNCH and staff for their diligence and hard work. Even if it costs me $1.25 a week.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Chisler may have initiated actions, but the remaining owners approved of and have continued to pursue those measures after his death. Why would you toss him out as a scape goat now. Poor form.

It is really simple. The owners mismanaged the business and now they are trying to repair the damage before converting it to a Non or not for profit organization. If you want SASS to survive, pay the money.

But they sure could have given us a heads up that this was coming or done it in a better manner. I may be a life member, but my two sons memberships will not be renewed. I don't have $130 to waste. Hopefully my decision won't cause dues to go up further.

Mark , I think you are confusing Chiseler with Coyote Calhoun.

Respectfully , Rex :D

Heads up,, the Cost of Living on everything will continue to rise. College tuition too.

What would be your feeling and decision today if you knew six months ago about the $20 increase? About the same decision, you wouldn't renew your two sons membership. Does this mean you will not attend State and above matches w/o your family participation?

$130 will about buy a person 2,000 rds of lead bullets.

No fame intended but just wondering

Archived