SASS Wire Forum

SASS Membership Fees

Tommy Reb

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Life Member since the second year, I wouldn't know. Cost of Life Membership has gone up which is why we chose to go Life early on. Have already gotten our money's worth. Also Life member in Texas State Rifle Association, NRA and Girl Scouts. All worth the original cost.

Best I can remember they used to be

$35 individual renewal $25 for spouse $20 for first jr. free for the rest

Looking at the SASS Mercantile they are now

$65 individual, $55 spouse and $40 junior for renewals.

If those numbers are right, that is a touch more than an 85 percent increase in the price of a one year individual renewal, and a 3 year renewal is no longer an option.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe tha last annual cost was $45....

Yeah we just renewed ours and it was $120.00 we thought it was quite a big jump too? Especially when you don't even get a monthly Chronicle anymore!

Spades H.

Going from $45.00 to $65.00 is a big jump! Hard to justify that if you don't go to state, regional and national shoots. Is SASS in trouble??? :wacko:

Just got a letter today - there are now club dues - $100/year if at least 50% members are SASS members; $75 if at least 75% are SASS members, and FREE if 100% are SASS members. Current membership with SASS numbers is required, so that membership level can be verified.

I suppose this gets in line with other memberships our range has - IDPA, for example.

Yep, the price jumped. I have never shot any State or above matches, but renewed membership just because it seemed like something you should do. Kinda like raising taxes. Charge more, and some people may not renew. Unsure what I'll do this year because of the increase.

Just got a letter today - there are now club dues - $100/year if at least 50% members are SASS members; $75 if at least 75% are SASS members, and FREE if 100% are SASS members. Current membership with SASS numbers is required, so that membership level can be verified.

I suppose this gets in line with other memberships our range has - IDPA, for example.

Got that letter tonight myself from a local match director. Most shooter are SASS members anyway . But $65 for renewal??? Last year was $45 NOT HAPPY

And, what is the justification for said increase? With all the added costs for the general population and also retirees, I find it remarkable that SASS can reasonably explain an increase of this proportion.

This is all a recipie for disaster, you all but double the annual membership fee. Then you ask for $100.00 from clubs that are not at 100% membership. In theory you think your going to generate revenue..... But.

Let's say you have less people pay their renewal every year(this is almost a certainty) then you penalize the clubs for not having full membership. The idea of "club membership" is vague in every way, so let's say my club requires you to be a SASS member to be a local club member. It is at this time that you say forget it to both. The" membership " at my club goes down till I'm at 100% SASS membership and I then send you $0.00 in affiliation fee and the folks that shoot with me as guest not members send you $0.00.

They all still shoot and SASS gets zero money. I am not going to turn people away from my monthly shoot because they didn't send $65.00 to SASS.

I understand that all this is moot if you want to shoot at state level and above you gotta have a current number, so if you want to loose income from all the folks that shoot two or three monthlies ,24 to 36 shoots a year this is a perfect plan. It sounds a lot like when you tried to sell those big money memberships to the Ranch and nobody bought them.

If you need to do this because you need the revenue then you need to decrease your overhead

Well, my thoughts on the memberships is this: I might grumble a little but I know I will pay the extra $20 because I love this sport....but.......

Three of the shooting sports that are luring away the younger shooters are USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 3Gun. USPSA and Steel Challenge have merged under a single umbrella, so a membership to cover both sports is $40/year with steep discounts for 3 and 5 year memberships, and life memberships of $500 ($350 senior life). Associate memberships (all the benefits but no magazine) are only $25 with discounts for multiyear memberships. 3Gun memberships are $25 and include a magazine. Those sports don't interest me, but when we are trying to draw in younger shooters, they are stacking the deck against us when they all grew up on movies with the plastic guns in them

$20 more a year...

How many beers does that equal per month?

or...about 7 gallons of gas...wonder how many Big Macs that $20 will buy...

Hmmmmm...tough choices.

Yea - I'm paying it and have no problem doing so.

Phantom

IMHO, it's well worth it.

Lazarus and I became life members because we figured we would break even at about 10 years, and knew that we had the money at that time to do so without any problem. That has worked for us in life memberships to NRA, TSRA, and for me and my daughter Girl Scouts. The 10 year break even point was at the annual membership fee at that time which has now gone up which means we broke even sooner than 10 years.

Now that I am retired and Laz is getting close to retirement, we are spending less money on lots of things and more on some other things.

I haven't shot in well over two years and it's still a bargain.

Take your wife out to a nice supper and you'll spend that or more for two meals, drinks, and desert and you'll get indigestion and maybe a morning after mouth..... and if you're like me you'll do that a couple of times a year at the very least.

Hell, just the socializing on the SASS owned and operated sites are worth that much.

WOW! YIKES!

I bought 3 year membership last year when I first joined. Glad I did but wish I had had the funds for a Life membership. Guess I better hurry up and do tthe life membership before it breaks $1,000.

Crud, this really is becoming expensive.

$20 more a year...

How many beers does that equal per month?

or...about 7 gallons of gas...wonder how many Big Macs that $20 will buy...

Hmmmmm...tough choices.

Yea - I'm paying it and have no problem doing so.

Phantom

You can justify the increase by how many beers, etc, but the point is a 44% increase in dues is excessive. Will I pay it? Yea, but I don't like it and I think it's going to chase away a lot of members that don't go to state and above level shoots! If I raised my piano tuning rates by 44%, I'd lose a bunch of customers!

You can justify the increase by how many beers, etc, but the point is a 44% increase in dues is excessive. Will I pay it? Yea, but I don't like it and I think it's going to chase away a lot of members that don't go to state and above level shoots! If I raised my piano tuning rates by 44%, I'd lose a bunch of customers!

Agreed. There is no way on earth I could raise my rates by 44% and remain in business. Customers would drop us like a hot rock.

44% increase could be classified as 'usery'.

I'll pay the fee. I've got a number of shoots on my calendar over the next eighteen months. I pay for three memberships every year. After this I may try to reserve the aliases of my two family members since they don't get to shoot very often any more.

I AM going to pay by actual paper check this time and include a note stating my displeasure with this exorbitant increase.

Phantom! I don't drink beer and I don't eat at McDonalds and seven dollars worth of gas will just about get me to my home club, (one way) one time. <_<:lol:

NRA offers a program for life membership with quarterly payments, among other money saving options. At the rates S.A.S.S. now charges it is less expensive to be a member of NRA and GOA than to be a member of S.A.S.S.!!! Maybe the Mild Bunch should seriously consider some of those same membership options!!! :unsure::angry:

I cannot believe this increase with absolutely NO explanation! It would cost me more to renew next year than it did to join this year. All the rates across the board have been jacked up. I am going to have a hard time laying out that kind of cash to drive 1.5 hours each way twice a month to shoot up ammo that I pay to load, guns I pay to buy and maintain. Costumes, leather, etc... Plus the shoot fee twice a month, and with the rising cost of fuel, well, let's just say My first year may be my ONLY year in SASS!

Perhaps the price was set too low...oh, but I'm sure y'all would complain that they should raise the membership if you knew the price was too low.

So, how would all you schmart people rectify that situation???

And usery...really???

Phantom

PS: One my not drink beer...nor eat McDonald's hamburgers...but I'm sure they frivolously spend $20/year on other non-essentials that they could easily cut back on...to make up that whole 20 bucks.

Archived