SASS Wire Forum

The National Anthem

Blackwater 53393

The last two weeks, the Sprint Cup race was kicked off by a resounding and properly performed rendition of the National Anthem!

Last week at Michigan, Jenna Irene performed it both beautifully and powerfully. She has a voice like the fabulous Nancy Wilson of Heart and she put it to good use last sunday. There was no yodeling of notes or chewing on vowels. There was only an honest and seemingly heartfelt straight performance!! Kudos to this little lady!!

Last evening a group of young children performed. I heard that some of them were as young as two years old. Some didn't know all of the words and some were distracted when the fireworks went off, but they were enthusiastic and they performed really well!!

I hope that this is a trend in sports and that when our obviously talented artists step up to supposedly honor our country, they can see it in themselves to "Sing it Straight" and not make it about themselves.

:FlagAm:

Amen Blackwater....my feeling exactly... Jim

Sounds great! Not to quibble too much, but Ann Wilson is the singer, Nancy the guitarist, but the comparison is understood!

Sounds great! Not to quibble too much, but Ann Wilson is the singer, Nancy the guitarist, but the comparison is understood!

You are correct, Sir!! But I'm smitten by Nancy and her unbelievable guitar skills!! Why they ever had a male lead guitarist in the band is totally beyond me!!

Most people don't know that Taylor Swift began her career singing the national anthem in minor league baseball parks. I worked for a major tour bus company and her dad, Scott, spent a lot of time in those early days at my office. The first bus they bought was one that we had built for and leased to Cher.

I never heard her sing the national anthem and come to think of it, I've never heard her sing an entire song. Her dad was a nice guy and he is a promotional genius.

You are correct, Sir!! But I'm smitten by Nancy and her unbelievable guitar skills!! Why they ever had a male lead guitarist in the band is totally beyond me!!

I'm glad you added the "and" instead of just saying "Nancy's unbelievable guitar skills." She is still easy on the eyes.

Howdy,

How about the way Jim Hendrix did it.

That had some feeling.

At least I felt it.

Best

CR

Hendrix's version was, without a doubt, amazing. Even more amazing when one considers it was rather spontaneous, because he thought the scene at Woodstock resembled a battlefield. It wasn't, however, done to honor our country so much.

I thought Whitney Houston's version in 1991 was the right piece, done in the right way, at the right time. Certainly as someone wearing the uniform, and waiting and wondering if and when I was going to be heading over to the sandbox (I had been activated as part of the build up, sitting at Ft. Sam Houston), it was powerful and highly motivational. In retrospect though, it seems to be at the root of all of these interminable attempts to "personalize" the song and make it unique to the singer.

My favorite would still be my high school choir rendition, which I've posted before, but I am biased.

In the bands I'm in, the one uses the Bill Moffit arrangement for marching bands. This one I've played since High School. in the concert band, we're using a circa 1940's Military band arrangement that the director prefers :blush:

At our 4H meetings we recite the pledge of allegiance and at competitions (equine) we have an amazing young girl, Brea, who does the National Anthem justice! These are great kids who are already great Americans! And we thank God for being Americans and ask that God watch over our children, families and animals. Nuff said.

Best version heard was by a red head called Reba Nell McEntire at a rodeo long ago.

The best version of the National Anthem I ever heard was the Cleveland Orchestra Chorus with some horns from the orchestra at opening day at Jacob's field in Cleveland for the Indians game in 1995. Simply awesome!!! ;)

Archived