SASS Wire Forum

Hopkins & Allen

Trigger Mike

My father gave me a Hopkins & Allen single barrel 12 gauge hammer shotgun. I found on the internet they went out of business in 1917. I'd like to find out more if I could. My dad got it from his father and so it has been in the family for many years. His father died in 1955 and my dad was born in 1937 so if his dad bought it new it he had it 20 years before my dad was born.

p.s. my son said he wanted to try a single barrel shotgun in 12 gauge so I let him shoot it with Winchester feather light. He did not like it even though it is heavy and has a long barrel.

sadly when my father got it it had been neglected and left in a barn and the stock was gone and the barrel rusted and the entire weapon was covered in dirt. I replaced the stock and had it repaired and reblued. I usually never do that but it was too far gone otherwise and knew I'd never sell it. Is there any other way since it has been reblued?

Many pre WWI 12 gages had 2-1/2" chambers. It is not safe to shoot a 2-3/4" shell in one of any pressure level.

The plastic 2-3/4" shell actually measures 2-3/8" when loaded. It will fit in a chamber made for a 2-1/2" full length brass shell.

The problem is that the longer shell will not fully open and will create very high pressures even with a low-pressure shell.

Hang it and enjoy it.

Archived