SASS Wire Forum

Primer went off in press...ears ringing a bit!

Wagon Box Willy

My shooting buddy was a commercial ammo loader for over 17 years and has loaded millions of rounds and never had that happen....until about a month ago. 100 primers, quite an experience he says.

I had 94 go off in a RCBS turret press. 13 are still imbedded in the ceiling above the press. The right lens of my safety glasses has a divot in it that reminds me of what happened.

Scarey stuff Makes me wonder how much protection the Dillion550 offer in a chain reaction explosion like that.. Always thought about but have never seen it. Glad you are alright

The Dillon 550 has the primer being inserted into the primer pocket removed from the balance by a couple of inches... and the force of the primer going off would be up into the case, not back towards the stack. At least that's my understanding of the setup. I don't have a 650. Maybe someone that has both could comment with pics.

Glad to hear you are ok sir, Thanks for sharing.

At time we all can get complacent at time. Wearing hearing and eye protection

should be on our minds at work or at play.

Don't know if the Lee Classic turret press has a blast shield option.

But this has gotten me, to look into seeing if one is available.

The Dillon 550 has the primer being inserted into the primer pocket removed from the balance by a couple of inches... and the force of the primer going off would be up into the case, not back towards the stack. At least that's my understanding of the setup. I don't have a 650. Maybe someone that has both could comment with pics.

You are correct the 650 is set up differently. kR

I'm a reloading novice. I use a Dillon 550B. Never had a primer problem but this is kind of scary. I wear the protective eye wear. I've never heard of a blast shield. Should I look into that?

I'm a reloading novice. I use a Dillon 550B. Never had a primer problem but this is kind of scary. I wear the protective eye wear. I've never heard of a blast shield. Should I look into that?

The 550B separates the primer being set in the primer pocket from any others in the column by an couple of inches, and this is the only place where any pressure is applied to the primer, the 650 feeds primers with an entirely different primer feed system. I've been loading on a 550B for almost 30 years, and while I've mashed primers, set them in pockets sideways (far enough to allow the shell plate to advance), upside down, etc... I've never set one off. Not a huge risk in my book.

The blast shield is a Lee Loadmaster part. I don't know If Dillon has a similar part or not.

Surely does make one think! I'm hoping some report is made on what caused the problem. If I was guessing, and this in only a guess from the picture provided, the primer got "pinched" instead of correctly seating. enough force was put on the handle to crush the anvil fast enough to set of the primer compound. I've had several primers flip over, and have even heard of some that were squashed into the primer pocket sideways Never had one go off. . As I've gained more experience with the press (just over 9K rounds now) I've started to develop more "feel" for the press. can usually (not always!) tell when something ain't quite right. trick is to not "force" the press when you get that feedback. That's why I tell anybody who asks, you have to just concentrate on loading . No watching TV, talking on the phone, watching the kids, drinking beer etc. Best plan by far to go into a room by yourself and just concentrate on the job at hand. I am by no means disparaging Wagon Box Willy for his loading practices. Something like this could happen to any of us, at any time. I applaud him for posting the pics and telling his experience so others may learn from it.

The 550B separates the primer being set in the primer pocket from any others in the column by an couple of inches, and this is the only place where any pressure is applied to the primer, the 650 feeds primers with an entirely different primer feed system. I've been loading on a 550B for almost 30 years, and while I've mashed primers, set them in pockets sideways (far enough to allow the shell plate to advance), upside down, etc... I've never set one off. Not a huge risk in my book.

Same here and agree 110%. I have been use'n a 550 since 1987.

The primers are in a steel 'tube' and they would only go upward.

OLG

I'm not going to comment on the risk but I have also had many a primer go in sideways and crushed, upside down, tried to insert one when the case still had a spent primer in it, and never had a problem. This time I really do not recall anything abnormal happening.

I will be wearing ear protection from now on, may add a face shield or something comfortable to add over my poly carb glasses, and have better loading bench hygiene (make sure black powder is put away) but that's it.

Thanks again Willy for the thread. We can all learn! Glad you are still with us to share!

Here's what I got from Lee.

---

Hi Bill,

During our primer testing, Federals can explode with sufficient force to seriously injure the user, or persons nearby. Only CCI and Remington are safe to use with our Progressive presses.

If you wish to stick to Federal primers, I would recommend our Classic Turret Press # 90064 and Safety Prime # 90997.

Sincerely,

The only way a primer ignites is ... Strike it Hard and Fast.

It's the same reloading and the firing pin in the firearm

Willy - very happy to hear your A-OK and thanks for the pictures

Got to respectfully disagree. I had a Lee priming tool set off 93 large pistol primers one memorable evening. I was priming a batch of mixed .45 ACP back when military brass was still commonly found. A few had gotten mixed in with mostly commercial and I evidently put a tad too much pressure on one of them and got the same reaction described in the first post. Big flash and boom, primer cups all over the room, all of them empty. Scared the dickens out of my Lab. Blew the clear plastic lid of the priming tool to bits. I got a little hairline fracture in one finger and a little cut on my belly that left a scar, but nothing serious. Should have listened to that little voice in my head. Got to swage those primer pockets!

I think I'm going to go to a Dillon 650. I found a Black Dawg aluminum hopper to use....not for the static as I don't believe in that, but for more protection from the blast of the exploding primers.

My Loadmaster will be used for a few hundred more 45 colts since I don't have enough ammo for Maine in a couple of weeks and after that for 45acp for which I'll switch to CCI....eventually moving over to the 650 for them as well. Hopefully I'll have the 650 up and running in a few weeks and I'm totally out of ammo....oh yea, need to cast as well, work has been getting in the way ;)

Archived