SASS Wire Forum

Primer went off in press...ears ringing a bit!

Wagon Box Willy

Howdy folks.

I just had my primer tray ignite in my Lee Loadmaster press. I had just filled it so there were between 75-100 Federal Large Pistol primers in it.

All I heard was the blast and I saw a flash. The primer assembly was blown into pieces and since my shop is pretty cluttered, I'll probably be finding pieces for a while.

I did have the Lee blast shield installed and it worked, it is now pointing straight up and is quite misshapen from the blast. I had one small piece of plastic stuck to my forehead but other than that I don't think anything hit me.

I'm not finding a lot of primers but every one I've found is just an empty shell...I'm guessing that they all went off.

After this experience I'll be wearing a face shield and earplugs when I reload....my hearing taking the brunt of the after affects.

No more reloading until I get a new blast shield, primer tray and primer assembly.

What fun! :ph34r:

Willy

Blast Shield

blast.JPG

The offending primer, what's left of the primer assembly, and an empty primer

primerassy.JPG

Submit a ticket with Lee and send pics of the parts and I guarantee you they will send you parts for free. They always have me, even if the thing that broke was my fault lol. Their customer service is top notch.

BD

Did you find out what caused the primer to ignite? I've done it twice, once with a Dillon 650 and once with a RCBS turret press. Both times it was my fault and both manufacturers sent new parts at no cost to me.

Already submitted the ticket. I always get my replacement parts free from Lee.

To be honest I do not recall anything feeling different. The looks of the primer seems misshapen so maybe it got crushed.

I have a blast shield on my LM too. I'm kind of surprised it's not a "standard" feature. Haven't had any primer problems, and certainly hope I don't! If Lee has an opinion on what happened I sure would like to hear it.

Glad you weren't injured! We've all heard reloading isn't rocket science, but it's as close as most of us will ever get. Can't be too careful.

Glad to hear you were not seriously injured...Jim

The only way a primer ignites is ... Strike it Hard and Fast.

It's the same reloading and the firing pin in the firearm

Willy - very happy to hear your A-OK and thanks for the pictures

This is Lee's warning on using other brands of primers than what they recommend. Not sure why, but apparently you experienced. Glad you're ok.

"WARNING: Only CCI or Remington brand primers are safe to use with this press. If you plan on using any brand besides CCI and Remington, you must purchase the explosion shield."

The Lee hand primer says the primer tray is designed to hold 100 Remington or Winchester primers. The tray should be loaded with only 20 of any other brand.

People often have disparaging things to say about Lee equipment whne they praise Dillon, RCBS and others. I have not had issues with Lee equipment since 1986. They are displaying some knowledge here about the primers and concerns or issues.

I'm happy with my Lee stuff from the price point perspective. I think the press exploded just as designed. I seem to remember years ago that they recommended primers were different than they are today but nonetheless it wouldn't make sense to use the press without the $5 blast shield no matter which primers one uses.

Willy - wha was brand of primer tha exploded?

Federal Large Pistol. In the picture of the primer assembly you can see the mangled primer sitting on top of it. While I didnt feel anything it looks to me like either the shell or the primer was offset and the plunger crushed only half of it into the pocket.

Scarey stuff Makes me wonder how much protection the Dillion550 offer in a chain reaction explosion like that.. Always thought about but have never seen it. Glad you are alright

I had one or two go off on me about 35 years ago when I was using my RCBS Rock Crusher to load the primers...I was new to reloading then. I usually load on my Dillon 650 but still use a RCBS press to load various rifle cartridges but I use a hand primer to prime the cases now instead of the press. I have a few go in backwards and a few go in sideways but haven't had an oops moment....knock on wood. If I feel anything different when reloading I learned to stop....(I know you said you didn't feel anything different) I been lucky.....

All my reloading is done on Lee products. Never had this happen to me but you can be sure after seeing that, I will definitely be taking more care. I too am sold on Lee's costumer service. So glad you are ok! Happy and safe shooting, Will.

Scarey stuff Makes me wonder how much protection the Dillion550 offer in a chain reaction explosion like that.. Always thought about but have never seen it. Glad you are alright

glad to hear op ok. Dillon 550 primer tube enclosed in steel pipe BUT don't want to try it

YIKES Willy, thank God you're ok.

Has never happened to me but I always wear safety glasses anyway. Maybe I should start wearing ear plugs too? What?

~:Wylie:~

Wylie. Yea, I'm adding ear protection and maybe a home made shield around the powder measure just in case though the Lee blast shield protected it.

I also had a can of black in the "blast zone" on the bench...never thought about it, that will change too.

My shooting buddy was a commercial ammo loader for over 17 years and has loaded millions of rounds and never had that happen....until about a month ago. 100 primers, quite an experience he says.

Archived