SASS Wire Forum

A blast from the past

I love color photos from the past.

Great pictures. It was a different world back then.

However, I don't think there were any "African Americans" in 1940. They were either people of color , or Negroes.

First time I heard the word "Negroes" was when Walter Croncite was talking about the riots in the 60's.

In cleaning up the folk's estate, we collected up bushels of pictures. I think mom had school pictures of every kid in every grade through high school within a 10 mile radius. A lot of old pictures from the 30s-50s, mostly people we don't know. We found beautiful studio pictures in heavy cardboard folders of people we don't know. The old Polaroid pictures look pretty bad now. In talking with people that buy out estates, old pictures have value to those studying clothing styles. Especially valuable are pictures of black folks.

Mom had a very old picture of her grandfather in his blacksmith shop in Hutchinson, Kansas I'm guessing 1880s. It was mounted on heavy cardboard. I found half of the picture with an unidentified person. It had been ripped in two within recent times and picture of great grandpa missing. Other family pictures we knew mom had are missing. Old albums have about 2/3s of pictures ripped out. I'm guessing mom did it for reasons unknown.

Somewhere in the files of history is a photo of my family taken at my maternal Grandfather's farm house.

It is dated ~1943/46. All of the boys have on bib overalls, and are bare footed. All of the girls have on

cotton dresses and are bare footed. We all are looking at the camera with an expression of "COME ON

HURRY UP WITH THE PICTURE, WE HAVE PLAY TO BE DONE." What a far cry from the kids in the

Mall today. Climbing on the tractor or down at the barn with the animals was about as good as it got.

If you scroll through the pictures you'll not see a single overweight person in the collection despite many of the pictures displaying food or food production.

I'm of the opinion that the diets we've been feed in the past 75 years is based on junk science. Many old studies that our medical and health guidelines are based have been challenged and found to be flawed. Just take it with a grain of salt. Oh yeah, new studies find no link of salt increasing blood pressure or effecting heart health.

Archived