SASS Wire Forum

IAC 1897 Cowboy, do we like them?

Cholula Mike

Tater, if you cut an inch of coils from the mainspring and then try loading 6. If the 6th shell won't go in start removing one coil at a time until it does.

I am not aware of any listing that indicates by serial number what year an IAC was made. I can tell you that the 06 was the first series that were good guns. They still need a little action work but they were good ones to start with. IAC made them up to the last series which was 09.

Im still working on my IAC 97, Im going to shoot some wild bunch with it, ive ran it hard and have had problems. will see how it does for wild bunch(main reason I got it.) The action is not bad out of the box but u need to really put a lot of rounds through it. If it fails in wild bunch it will go bye bye. Ill do a youtube review on it sometime in the future, but I want to get a lot of rounds through it.

I have two of the IAC 97s. The first is a 2004 model that was one of the first with the real walnut stock and better quality control that has had no work done on it what so ever. It has performed flawlessly! The second is one of the new 97s from Coyote Cap. The action was smooth but I have had a few problems with locking up on me or not ejecting shells properly. I gave it to Shotgun Boogie who tore it down and did one of his action jobs on it. WoW, what a difference! This gun is now slicker than snot on a kids upper lip! As for dependability, we will see. I haven't shot it in a match yet but looking forward to doing so. And I always have my original to fall back on. Its never failed me yet. Good luck and happy shooting! W. L.

PS, both my IAC 97s came ready to load and shoot six shells.

I have two of the IAC 97s. The first is a 2004 model that was one of the first with the real walnut stock and better quality control that has had no work done on it what so ever. It has performed flawlessly! The second is one of the new 97s from Coyote Cap. The action was smooth but I have had a few problems with locking up on me or not ejecting shells properly. I gave it to Shotgun Boogie who tore it down and did one of his action jobs on it. WoW, what a difference! This gun is now slicker than snot on a kids upper lip! As for dependability, we will see. I haven't shot it in a match yet but looking forward to doing so. And I always have my original to fall back on. Its never failed me yet. Good luck and happy shooting! W. L.

PS, both my IAC 97s came ready to load and shoot six shells.

mine has also had lock up, but the more I shoot it the better it runs. Only time will tell.

Dirty Southpaw, Your serial number is one of the second, unexpected, run of the CB97's. Lock up, shells not coming out of mag all the way, barely ejecting spent hulls are all timing related issues dealing with the carrier. No matter how many rounds you put thru it or how hard you work it, that won't solve the problem.

From a safety standpoint you should remove the firing pin and check the firing pin spring to ensure it is cut just short of the end of the pin. IAC was advised of this problem, along with some others, but I don't know if they updated the spring length or not. The longer spring, by about 1/2 to 3/4 Inches, could interfere with the safe and consistent movement of the firing pin and defeat the purpose of the double cocker system.

NEW IAC 97 JAMMING PROBLEM

I, too, suddenly discovered the lockup problem with my brand new IAC 97 during my first match using it. (Yesterday.) The first three stages, it ran just fine. On the fifth stage, it locked providing me with a miss. I worked on it and it seemed OK and was OK for stage five. Then, on stage six, it locked up solid, costing me two misses. I finally was able to unjam it and resisted the urge to use it for a fence post. :angry:

At home, I worked on it and finally noticed that the part of the lifter that cams the breech bolt into the final locked position was just barely clearing the lug on the breech bolt with which it mates. If not well lubricated, would not go into position and jammed everything up. Neither part is rounded where they meet, which makes clearing of the parts and closing the breech bolt an iffy proposition if not perfectly timed. I believe that what happened in my case is that the lube wore off during use in the first three stages allowing these critical parts to fail to engage properly and jam.

I think that a slight rounding of the corners where these parts meet will be a permanent solution but have not yet been able to convince myself to do that.

HAS ANYONE ELSE FOUND THIS TO BE THE CASE AND DID ;YOU SOLVE IT SOME OTHER WAY THAN WITH A FILE? Any advice?????

Warhorse

Im going to use it this weekend(cowboy/wild bunch) to give it a final run, if it locks up or anything ill contact IAC for warranty work. I have only used factory ammo out of it. I will let you all know what I do. On a side not it feeds and ejects fine. The lock up has been on the 5th fired round and on that round only..... I find it very strange.

Warhorse, what is the serial number on your CB97?

OG the SN is CB002XX. (Yeah, I'm reluctant to give the whole number on a forum.)

I did some careful work on the two mating parts on the bolt and lifter that lock the bolt into its final position and it seems to work OK now. However, I have yet to fire it after these modifications. That probably won't happen for more than a week. If it really does solve the problem, I will post more detail on what I did to perhaps help some others who have encountered the same problem.

Warhorse

Warhorse-How does this CB-97 run with factory loaded ammo?

OLG

OLG, it didn't seem to make any difference what I was feeding it, including commercial aluminum dummy rounds. The problem was that the bolt was not closing quite enough for the lug on the lifter to clear. This only happened when trying to chamber a round.

After working on the mating surfaces and re-lubing everything, I could not get it to jam again as I chambered assorted ammo at various rates of speed. I did not actually fire it. That will have to wait a week until I can get back to the range.

Will re-post after doing some more shooting with it.

Warhorse

• 2 weeks later...

And what did IAC tell you?

They seem to know the 97's are not working right, they took detailed info from me and asked if I was short stroking it lol but ya the boss will call me tomorrow..... will see....trust me, im not letting this go. I want to be able to give a full review when its all said and done.

I already knew that. However, if I would have posted it I would have been admonished again for crying wolf because others were selling the "out of the box" guns for less than I am selling the ones that have been repaired. I can tell you now with a great deal of certainty that IAC can not fix the problems, only exchange the guns. PISCO was their gunsmith department, but it will be interesting to hear what IAC tells you. Since they screwed over the one "go to" gunsmith that knows the problems and how to fix them they will have to do lots of fence mending to get him back on board.

I already knew that. However, if I would have posted it I would have been admonished again for crying wolf because others were selling the "out of the box" guns for less than I am selling the ones that have been repaired. I can tell you now with a great deal of certainty that IAC can not fix the problems, only exchange the guns. PISCO was their gunsmith department, but it will be interesting to hear what IAC tells you. Since they screwed over the one "go to" gunsmith that knows the problems and how to fix them they will have to do lots of fence mending to get him back on board.

IF, he will even want to fix'em, after what they have done to him again. :rolleyes:

I won't hold my breath. <_<

OLG

Dirty Southpaw, I have something for you to consider. Coyote Cap and I would like to send you a new CB97 that has been updated and works the way they were intended. This will give you a gun, and a gunsmith, that you can use to give a review of the CB97. If you are interested let me know.

Dirty Southpaw, I have something for you to consider. Coyote Cap and I would like to send you a new CB97 that has been updated and works the way they were intended. This will give you a gun, and a gunsmith, that you can use to give a review of the CB97. If you are interested let me know.

What an outstanding offer :excl:

Put me down as the second guy in line if DS takes a 'pass'(he shouldn't). ;)^_^

OLG

Bought one, got it yesterday, have not run rounds through it, cycles great. Serial CB00525. From Johnny Meadows.

I have several Winchesters and they are all old guns and work okay but getting parts is difficult, especially bolts.

Bought one, got it yesterday, have not run rounds through it, cycles great. Serial CB00525. From Johnny Meadows.

I have several Winchesters and they are all old guns and work okay but getting parts is difficult, especially bolts.

mine is serial number CB005XX it cycled great and everything until I put rounds through it. it would run fine about 80-85% of the time. other times the action would hang up or lock up all together. I would definitely go out and run at least 50 rounds through it b4 using it in a match.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

The longer spring, by about 1/2 to 3/4 Inches, could interfere with the safe and consistent movement of the firing pin and defeat the purpose of the double cocker system.

My side by side has a "double cocker", my 97's do not. The Chinese 97's have a coil spring in the bolt as well as the 97 firing pin block. The firing pin is shorter than a real 97 and requires this spring to make the pin stick out the back of the bolt for an inertia transfer of hammer force to the primer. The coil spring is too long from the factory and make the gun pretty safe as it will not fire without a great deal of mainspring on the hammer.

The firing pin has to be removed and enuff spring trimmed to just allow the hammer to transfer energy to the pin.

The lock up comes from several areas. The timing of the carrier release of the hammer isn't generally what causes this. Check to make sure the radius on the bottom of the bolt and the carrier can get past each other. Make sure the guide rails on the carrier aren't dragging on the bottom of the bolt, the pump handle spring may need to be thinned a little, and I have seen a couple that needed the forcing come lengthened. Also check that there is a slight radius on the firing pin block in the bolt to make sure that it can move freely and take a coil off of the spring that returns it.

These are some areas that can be checked out... Good Luck

Archived