SASS Wire Forum

IAC 1897 Cowboy, do we like them?

Cholula Mike

The "new batch" of IAC '97s haven't actually been out of the container long enough to answer "how they are holding up." The last batch of IAC '97s were nice, have held up well, and can be tuned right up. Or shot stock "as is."

In the past, as far as imported '97s go, IAC guns have probably been the better built. Personally, I don't like '97s. Personal thing. Were I suddenly to bang into a wall and change my mind, I like real Winchesters.

Coffinmaker

The only thing I heard about them other than being well built and pretty smooth is not all of them come with the 6 in the mag capability. Some do, some don't, but there's a couple of smiths have the kits that can do the change over. A shooter I know bought 2 of them 1 will hold 6 in the mag, the other just 5. So if you're going to use one for WB too, make sure it has that option.

Yep, the CB97 I got from Outlaw Gambler a couple of months ago holds six also. Not sure what would need to be tuned on it. I can rack it with two fingers and the empties fly out of there just the way Outlaw described it. Two months isn't long enough for me to comment on durability, so I will leave that to others.

Friend of mine bought one and it would only hold 5== ran into Cap at Minn State and asked him about it. He told me they had to be limited to 5 shots because of import restrictions. Told me to cut 4 1/2 coils off of mag spring==then will hold 6. Some were cut during setup and some were not. not my gun and havnt done it. GW

Friend of mine bought one and it would only hold 5== ran into Cap at Minn State and asked him about it. He told me they had to be limited to 5 shots because of import restrictions. Told me to cut 4 1/2 coils off of mag spring==then will hold 6. Some were cut during setup and some were not. not my gun and havnt done it. GW

Thank you for posting that as mine only holds five.

I got one of Caps gun from Johnny Meadows. Didn't need a thing. Out of the box and out to the range smooth and light action. Built very well. Does throw the empties 10 ft like some have said. I'm good with a couple of feet. Hum? Mines a single shot

Got one a few weeks ago and love it. For the price and how it runs out of the box you cant beat it.

Tuco ran that new 97 like a semi-auto SxS. If you want to see some fast shooting, just view his performance at the GOA shoot off. Outstanding!

Mine also runs well and ejects reliably. I call her 'The Enchantress'.

..........Widder

Mine will be heading back to Cap after I shoot State here in a few weeks. As far as using it for CAS, I'm happy with it. WB shooting is very problematic.

First stage I ran it with 4 in the tube and could not get the third round to come out of the mag tube but eventually did feed. Second stage with 4 in the tube, the second and third round took SEVERAL pumps of the action to get them out of the mag tube. Third stage with 4 in the tube it double fed the third and fourth round and jammed the gun up.

The bad mojo carried over to my Marlin as well but I will call you next week Widder but I have a pretty good idea of what's wrong. Never seen an empty get caught behind the ejector before.

As far as the gun and my technique goes. It is a low serial number, only ran one box thru her for function, slam fired with authority and running AA's.

I also bought one from Outlaw Gambler about 2 months ago. Mine would hold 6 in the mg but the 6th was difficult to get in. Called Outlaw and he told me that 4 1/2 coils had been cut off the mg spring. I cut off another 3/4 of of a coil and now 6th shell is slick. Have only shot it in one match but have about 8 additional boxes through it. Pump it with authority and it won't miss a lick. Legal for both Cowboy and Wild Bunch. My money was well spent.

I've had an iac 87 that's been tweeted by Lassiter and I love it I've not shot another SG for cc since I got it. At first I carrier end my TTN but finally stopped since I never end reached for it. I got mine used with the work for a good price.

Mine came feeling good and had just outstanding walnut on it. It tosses empties well. But it has a hang up when chambejng ammo, right at the beginnin. Does it with all ammo factory and my reloads which are excellent, pretty much does it with every round so have not shot in a match as it's pretty annoying. I'll play with it this fall and see if I can get it straightened out.

Miss Behavin' just got one.

It feels smooth as one can get. Ejects with the least bit of effort. Wood is excellent.

Not sure if she'll give up her main Winchester??? But it will make one heck of a back up😀

Seems to be a great value for a race 97!

Regards,

Ringer

Mine came feeling good and had just outstanding walnut on it. It tosses empties well. But it has a hang up when chambejng ammo, right at the beginnin. Does it with all ammo factory and my reloads which are excellent, pretty much does it with every round so have not shot in a match as it's pretty annoying. I'll play with it this fall and see if I can get it straightened out.

That's weird. I had the exact same problem with almost every real Winchester but the CB97 is handling everything I can throw at it.

Maybe I just didn't hit warp speed on mine like Deuce.

It slam fires great though and my confidence level on the SG has skyrocketed. :)

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Miss Behavin' just got one.

It feels smooth as one can get. Ejects with the least bit of effort. Wood is excellent.

Not sure if she'll give up her main Winchester??? But it will make one heck of a back up

Seems to be a great value for a race 97!

Regards,

Ringer

Howdy Ringer.

I was using one of the new 97's at GOA this year.

Was Miss Behaving using her new one also?

I did notice that she was running some good stages.

..........Widder

I bought one from Johnny Meadows and had him fix it so it held 6 shells...he also cut the stock and put a recoil pad on it per my request.

I shoot a SxS in competition, I bought one because I didn't have a 97 and just wanted to have one for WB occasionally. I've used it for 2 WB matches and in both cases it ran flawlessly. As long as you work the action with authority it did it's job. If you don't have a 97 and are in the market for one I'd recommend it.

Kajun

I bought a pair of the new 97's - one from Coyote Cap and the other from Johnny Meadows.

Intended to get into and use primarily for Wild Bunch (which I very seldom shoot)

Both run nicely, are very smooth and are beautiful to look at.

I like them both a lot.

Unfortunately I stink at running a 97.

Guess I will continue running my Johnny Meadows SKB's for a while longer <_<

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

The one I felt seemed like a typical IAC with a so so action job. This one hung up like Deuce said as well. I could over run the ejection system every once in a while but I'm a lefty. A right handed person probably could've gotten away with it. I wouldn't trade a decent Winchester for it as a match gun. I definately wouldn't choose it or any other 97 over a model 12 for Wild Bunch.

Howdy Ringer.

I was using one of the new 97's at GOA this year.

Was Miss Behaving using her new one also?

I did notice that she was running some good stages.

..........Widder

She was running with her old 97. I still have to cut the wood and barrel down on the Cap 97.

She's has become a solid 97 operator👍🏼

Ringer

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the feedback on the IAC's

I made it out to Squibber's shop and checked out the IAC Cowboys, very smooth out of the box.

We test fired them and two are coming to me

He had a special on them, $ 499 a piece, so I bought 2 :D:D

Send Squibber a smoke signal and see if he still is running a special

Cholula Mike

• 1 month later...

I currently shoot a Stoeger coach gun for my matches. I'm looking to get a cowboy 1897 pump action shotgun but I know nothing about that particular gun.

I saw a IAC CB 97 the other day at a local gun store. The action seemed a little bit on the rough side. Have a few questions that hopefully someone more experienced can answer.

Once the shipping grease is removed from the action will be in action smooth out?

The action slide moved forward a quarter to a half an inch and also moved about the same amount backwards prior to actually moving the carrier. Is that normal?

Can you recommend anything else to look for as I'm shopping for a 1897?

I currently shoot a Stoeger coach gun for my matches. I'm looking to get a cowboy 1897 pump action shotgun but I know nothing about that particular gun.

I saw a IAC CB 97 the other day at a local gun store. The action seemed a little bit on the rough side. Have a few questions that hopefully someone more experienced can answer.

Once the shipping grease is removed from the action will be in action smooth out?

The action slide moved forward a quarter to a half an inch and also moved about the same amount backwards prior to actually moving the carrier. Is that normal?

Can you recommend anything else to look for as I'm shopping for a 1897?

Contact Outlaw Gambler and talk to him about the CB-97 in question.

If the serial is above 450. It's not part of Coyote Cap's order and is an 'over-run' gun from IAC.

OLG

Yep, any of the guns above 450 need to be smoothed out. At $499 or so the gun is stock. I used one of the ones that Squibber did up at Bordertown last week and it was smooth and ran well. My '97, which I bought about 10 years ago, has run well for what it is, stock. It has smoothed out a little over the years but the one I tried last weekend ran much smoother. I have already ordered one.

The CB97 I bought holds 6, and they are made to do so.

OLG

Not all are. I got one of the first ones and it is prophetic the serials start with CB and not WB. Even after my guy worked on it, it still hates to hold 6 in the mag. So I am sticking to Model 12s for WB. The CB runs pretty good for CAS but I mostly shoot a double for that game. I paid over 650 so not real happy if they are now going for 399 and 499. Shoulda waited I guess but the hype at the time was "limited edition get 'em quick if ya snooze ya lose". Phooey

To hold six in the CB-97, all you have to do is to cut 3-4 coils off the mag. spring.

Whats your serial number?

OLG

I doan know it ain't here in the house with me. IIRC it is 37 or so preceded by three or four zeros. I like it well enuff for CAS I guess on the odd stage with an odd number of sg targets. Got plenty M12s for WB so que sera sera...

My IAC Norinco's serial # starts with 06, anyone have idea what generation it is? Or year of manufacture? The barrel is marked 20" 12 23/4 M (Modified?). From what I saw on their site they only come in cylinder bore.

Mine only holds 5 rounds. Will removal of 3-4 coils interfere with it feeding reliably?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tater

Archived