SASS Wire Forum

My PC thot for today!

I sit here looking out over my yard, a yard prepared with sweat and toil, not completely weed free, but nearly. Grass that is green and thick, ever expanding it lushness.

But, what do I see creeping in? There and the edge and a few spots intermingled among the lush green grass. Weeds, weeds that try to overtake the grass, depriving the grass of it's strength and the nutrients put there with sweat and labor and from the very maker.

Will I stand for it??? Will I let the weeds seep in and destroy my yard, not on your life! Out durn weeds out!!!! Whatever it takes, I will remove you, I will pull you out by your roots,,, I will use compounds on you that will only kill you and not the luscious green grass that has been so loving nurtured.

My yard shall be preserved!!!.

I sense some symbolism here! I appears that some of us have tended the same yard for many years and now are finding our efforts thwarted on fronts we've thought were secure.

Some have worked themselves to death to keep our yard well groomed and welcoming. Others have, until now, successfully supported and defended the grass in other sundry ways. It seems a shame that some have chosen to ignore and in some cases attack or ridicule the keeping of the grass.

I have aromatic chemicals and the necessary tools to incinerate the weeds and rodents that attack my lawn!! I have no animosity nor hatred for the weeds or the creatures that threaten my lawn, but I have no tolerance for them any longer!!

I sense some symbolism here! I appears that some of us have tended the same yard for many years and now are finding our efforts thwarted on fronts we've thought were secure.

Some have worked themselves to death to keep our yard well groomed and welcoming. Others have, until now, successfully supported and defended the grass in other sundry ways. It seems a shame that some have chosen to ignore and in some cases attack or ridicule the keeping of the grass.

I have aromatic chemicals and the necessary tools to incinerate the weeds and rodents that attack my lawn!! I have no animosity nor hatred for the weeds or the creatures that threaten my lawn, but I have no tolerance for them any longer!!

And I'll stand right next to both of you and apply whatever means necessary to eradicate the intruding weeds. And them that don't like that can

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Lately I'm more and more disgusted by the fact that we have a contract with the landscaper, that has a guaranteed end date, but no end date on the contracts with the helpers.

As good or bad as a landscaper may be, nothing is ever going to change when we have the same helpers doing whatever they want on that lawn, contract after contract, after contract...

Me thinks these WEEDS that ShyAnnie and Blackwater speak of are symbolic of current political topics, of which I understand.

The WEEDS need to go.

The problem is that many look at the weeds and figure the work to keep the grass green isn't worth the effort. They love to hold their parties on the green grass that others are keeping manicured and well groomed. And the partiers keep partying at the expense of the grounds keeps.

When the ground gets a mud hole from to many parties, they call the grounds keepers once again to patch up the mud hole they created and manicure the lawn once again for another party.

The problem is that the parties are becoming more frequent and the grounds keepers are becoming fewer and fewer.

So sad.

..........Widder

The groundskeeper manual I read daily speaks of dark times and great persecution in the last days; I think its page 10 of chapter 13 that gives such a warning. But I've got whole bunch of brothers with big ol' sprayers at the ready. One of the co-authors, John, put some instructions on page 16 of chapter 3 about how the real grass can survive.

When I think about the weeds invading my grass I sit back and read from a good book on how to stop them,

and to put myself at peace with the problem.

in my neighborhood bout all we got iz weeds.....really lookin' ta move sumwhere where I kin be surrounded by beautiful grass instead..

You will be welcome with open arms around these parts, just make sure you leave a good layer of disinfectant along your backtrail.

A "Weed" can also be any plant growing were not wanted or undesirable. When I first Leased a long term contract on some land that had been neglected for decades. There were wild trees, Willows, and Elms that had to be cut down, and in some cases, we dynamited the stumps out. Those trees would not have been welcomed in our first years crop of Winter Wheat. So to Farmers, weeds aren't only what's in the lawn, but also in the fields.

MT

The good news is that CORN is seldom considered a weed.

Nothing wrong with corn as long it's planted intentionally and not brought across the border of my lawn by an unwelcome carrier.

When seen from above, my yard is an oasis of green in a sea of yellow. There is a nice 20' buffer into my neighbors yards where the weed killer 'drifts'..... If they would spray it would save me a ton of money on my yard...

Young family moved in next door. The guy came over and asked how to get a yard like mine. Told him how and a month later his is greener than mine!

When I was stationed in England I visited Oxford University and a member of a tour group was marveling on the acres and acres of thick green weedless grass that was seemingly perfect in every way. He just wouldn't let it be and kept firing lawn questions at the tour guide who truly did not have the answers he wanted. Finally a stooped old gentleman came wandering by and the Tour Guide says. "Oh, here is our head gardener, he can tell you how he manages the lawns". So, a lengthy question and answer session that is boring the hell out of the rest of us ensues and the tourist is trying to tell the old man that his methods are wrong. Finally, frustrated, the gardener sums up his methods be saying "Water it well daily, apply fertilizer spring and fall, patrol the lawns everyday and eradicate every weed the moment it appears, cut to no less than 3" to shade out the weeds and if you do that without fail for the next 400 years, your lawn should look just like this one.

yes, you must beware of false landscapers wut tell lies of how to keep the yard green and weed free...., and wut tell you that yu cant tawk with yur plants.... my yard tho not perfect is a good yard wut has all sorts of welcome critters passing thru.... and I will strive my utmost to keep it so...

What's amazing when we first bought a home in Florida is that most the ornamental plants are weeds up North. The St Augustine grass is a joke, with runners running on the surface to sprout things that look like grass. Always liked the smell of a fesh cut lawn, not down here. I think I'm the only one in my area that cuts their own lawn, everyones got Lawn Service. Early in the morning the roads are clogged with Lawn Service trucks and trailers going their way. Next to Doctors and Lawyers in the Yellow Pages are the Lawn Service's.

BlueJeans would be looking for flowers, and come back and say they're selling weeds again. MT

some are still lost in the woods,,,,,, but I like the woods too,,,, nice a quiet,,,,,,, ohhhh was is that, smells like bad breath,,,,,,,,right behind me,,,, oh phooey,,,,, a bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tis nice to have a yard full of good friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some are still lost in the woods,,,,,, but I like the woods too,,,, nice a quiet,,,,,,, ohhhh was is that, smells like bad breath,,,,,,,,right behind me,,,, oh phooey,,,,, a bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't ever consider trying to out run a Bear,------------------------just run faster then your buddy. MT

Tis nice to have a yard full of good friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you need us, we'll come runnin. Bible in one hand and rifle in the other; loaded for bear.

yes, you must beware of false landscapers wut tell lies of how to keep the yard green and weed free...., and wut tell you that yu cant tawk with yur plants.... my yard tho not perfect is a good yard wut has all sorts of welcome critters passing thru.... and I will strive my utmost to keep it so...

But some of those critters that pass through leave a little something in your yard to remember them by.....sometimes it's fertilizer and sometimes its just waste.

When the weeds can attain a "green card" and be productive, nutrient giving, non-parasitic part of the lawn...........then welcome to the lawn. If not then, go back to the neighborhood that you have turned into dirt and tumbleweeds.

Archived