SASS Wire Forum

35 years ago today`

guitar_slinger

35 years ago today, I started a new job. Had you asked me on that first day did I think I would be working for the same company 35 years later, I would have laughed. In fact, as a kid of 19 1/2 years old, I probably wouldn't have thought I would live to be that 'old'.

Well, here I am today typing this on the Saloon on my 35th anniversary. Nothing special happening just another day in the office other than I know. I am the last of the Mohicans in that nobody who hired on with me are still here. They have all been far smarter than I and retired already.

Given this is jy 35th, I can honestly say I will not be celebrating a 40th. I will be retired long before that date. But, for now, the job isn't too bad and most days, I rather enjoy working.

GS.

Best advice I can give, is if you like you job and are able to perform it to expectations,

stick with it. When it becomes a burden, retire, and don't look back. Life is for living,

not dedicated to a "job".

Congratulations on your tenure. I only made it 29 years.

Best advice I got on when to retire was: "You're mind and spirit will tell you that it's time to retire."

The advice was correct for me. I had always thought I'd not retire until I was either mentally or physically incapable of working. But, there came a day when my mind and spirit said, "It's time." I have no regrets. Since I retired I feel physically better, mentally rested, and loving every minute of life.

Archived