SASS Wire Forum

need expert help on this black powder

red dead

Kind of an interesting way of asking about pyrodex. Pyrodex was made to be used in blackpowder weapons in general, so it's a safe powder. I personally don't like it..... I'd rather use real black but as far as BP substitute powders, I have used 777 and APP with good results.

Asking if it's safe to be used in your gun couldn't be answered without knowing what shape its in. In general if the weapon is in good condition using the recommended charge, I would use it.

Clean your gun and lube it after you use Pyrodex. Some you can let sit for a while... don't do that with Pyrodex.

First it says "Smokeless Propellant" *

*This designation required by US DOT for proper shipping and storage.

Then it says Not Nitrocellulose based.

That tells you is a Black Powder substitute.

Also the front of the jar says The Muzzleloading Propellant, which means it can be used in black powder guns, including and specifically for cap and ball.

It says fffg equivalent, which means it's primary use is pistol.

As others have said, you need to clean your gun after use. But then, all Holy Black shooters know this.

Usually when I have Q's about powder, I go to the manufacturer's web site. From the Hodgdon site

Pyrodex® P - Pistol Powder

pyrodex-pt.gif

Pyrodex P is intended to be a direct replacement for FFFg Black powder when measured volumetrically using a black powder measure. The principal uses for Pyrodex P are in muzzleloading pistols, cap and ball revolvers, and in small bore, muzzleloading rifles.

This is the same Pyrodex P that was designed for use in all blackpowder pistols, including cap and ball revolvers.

The package reads that the smokeless designation is a federal requirement for shipping and storage.

For full surety, contact Hodgdon and give them the product and lot number.

That looks like a really really old label.

Have you tried the powder yet? Even if it is a container that has never been opened, I would contact Hodgdon and get their advice. They could tell you how old it is from the lot number.

Heeee Haaaa .. In my Opinon don't use it.. :blush: There is alot of better subs out there.. ;)

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

When I get any given to me, I use Pyrodex up in the SG. I'd rather not put it through my rifled barrels. Burns up pretty quick @ 60gr per shell instead of 20. (BP equivalent)

CR

Heeee Haaaa .. In my Opinon don't use it.. :blush: There is alot of better subs out there.. ;)

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

+1

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Pyrodex is a true sulfur, charcoal, and KNO3 powder, with an added ingredient to prevent flashing. I believe, but don't quote me, the added ingredient is potassium chlorate. Whatever it is, it is a bit more corrosive than anything else out there. When I use it, I clean my guns, put them away, then check them again in a week or so, and clean again if necessary.

Yep, what Pulp said, but I don't wait a week, shoot 'em, clean twice the same day & again for the next two days, then check once a week... shotgun use only. I'd give it away, but I don't dislike anyone that much!

I've been using Pyrodex in the several granulations ever since it first was marketed many years ago..

I haven't rusted a gun yet.

"P" is fine grained, and I don't personally care to use it in C&B pistols, I like "RS" better for those, but

"P" works fine in rifle and pistol cartridges,

The thing with Pyrodex is...CLEAN THE GUN WITH COPIOUS repeat COPIOUS AMOUNTS (that means LOTS) OF W A T E R !

This will properly dissolve all the corrosive salts in the Pyrodex fouling residue, which is highly hygroscopic

and will cause rust if not properly flushed away during cleaning. The residue from Pyrodex is different

than that of real BP, and some of the "store bought" BP solvents will not do

the flushing good enough, but plain WATER (hot if you can get it) WILL.

Just clean 'em properly, get 'em good and DRY before applying any oil, and inspect in 24 hours or so,

and if you did it right, no rust will result.

Archived