SASS Wire Forum

OT: Just now getting my CC for Illinois

Rance - SASS # 54090

I took the CC class about 2 years ago..

Disgusted about the limited carry places and gun restricted businesses I didn't apply for it.

After talking with police officers, State, local and out of state...

They all said "Get it!!"

I applied today...

I'm considering the Ruger LCP 380

A friend of mine has one,, I've shot it... yeah ... I don't like the recoil on any of the small CC guns..

but... it's so small he can carry it in his front pocket and ya can't see it..

Just lookin' for a small reliable auto...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I'm use to revolvers but...

Look at the Kahr K-9,small pistol in 9mm, very accurate and manageable recoil,Rated for +P ammo.The K-9 is an all stainless steel gun, carries real nice too.

The Ruger LCP is vastly improved with a 13 lb recoil spring set and stainless steel guide rod from Galloway Precision, and a set of Hogue Handall grips. Both are available from Amazon. Made a significant difference in having a bit more to hang on to, and perceived recoil.

That said, as Bob just stated above, the Sig P238 is really a fine piece of equipment, in a league by itself for this class of firearm. It's a true joy to shoot, which is almost unheard of for an ultra-compact .380. Recoil is no issue with the Sig. Don't know how they did it!

Lt. JJD

Rance,

Take a look at the whole line of S&W J frame revolvers and the Ruger LCRs. One of the instructors in my class is a competitive shooter and a retired state trooper and recommended the "Gunsmoke" special edition of the j frame because it was factory tuned for pocket/conceal carry.

A lady in the previous class had one and the first shots out of the gun were for her qualifier, which she passed.

I am not shooting the Open, but could meet you there if you wanted to see one.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Smoke

Rance,

Take a look at the whole line of S&W J frame revolvers and the Ruger LCRs. One of the instructors in my class is a competitive shooter and a retired state trooper and recommended the "Gunsmoke" special edition of the j frame because it was factory tuned for pocket/conceal carry.

A lady in the previous class had one and the first shots out of the gun were for her qualifier, which she passed.

I am not shooting the Open, but could meet you there if you wanted to see one.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Smoke

Morning Smoke...

When I first took the CC class I went out and bought the Ruger LCR in 38 +P...

Got a Galco waist clip holster for it also...

With that ammo +P It had a whole bunch of recoil.. I shot some of my cowboy 38's in it..

They are downloaded quite a bit.. and it shot with quite a bit of less recoil..

but still wouldn't want to carry with homemade ammo..

I traded in back to my dealer for a Golden Boy 22 lever action rifle..

Did that about a year ago and haven't shot the 22 rifle yet.. weird huh :wacko: ?

I also have a S&W J frame in 38 special in my night stand drawer..

The Galco CC holster I had bought for the LCR fits it also..

and I'm a lot more comfortable with the Revolver because I'm use to shootin' a revolver...

and because Lacey also knows how to use the revolver..

I might just use it for a while... but it's not really very small for pocket carry friendly..

Thanks fer yer suggestions tho..

Rance ;)

Still thinkin' about the little auto tho.. :blush:

Carry at least 1 reload along with a sm. flashlight(Surefire).

Look hard at Crimson Trace LASER grips.

OLG

When I'd jumped in with both feet and got the LCR it had the grips w/ Crimson Trace laser grips..

My thought was if someone has a little red laser dot on their body,

it might make them think twice about what the were about to do.. Kind of a deterrent factor..

Shooting it ... I could never get the laser adjusted to shoot even close to POA..

I had another shooter shoot it (Thinkin' it's me.. The shooter) with the same results.

When I'd jumped in with both feet and got the LCR it had the grips w/ Crimson Trace laser grips..

My thought was if someone has a little red laser dot on their body,

it might make them think twice about what the were about to do.. Kind of a deterrent factor..

Shooting it ... I could never get the laser adjusted to shoot even close to POA..

I had another shooter shoot it (Thinkin' it's me.. The shooter) with the same results.

Why didn't you call CT then? :huh:

Their CS is outstanding!

They even send you free batteries, once a year for life.

I have CT grips on my S&W 340 and sight'd perfectly for POI/POA

OLG

Why didn't you call CT then? :huh:

Their CS is outstanding!

They even send you free batteries, once a year for life.

I have CT grips on my S&W 340 and sight'd perfectly for POI/POA

OLG

Well... That's when I kinda' lost all interest in CC.. And traded it off..

Hindsight... Great huh?

for pocket carry, the SIG P238 is hard to beat. they have a bunch of different finishes, mine is just plain old black with black rubber grips. I think I paid 500 for it new. some of the fancier finishes run up to 700. for a carry piece, just don't need a rainbow finish! I carry mine in a nylon pocket holster. The pistol is small enough to fit in the palm of my hand. if I ever were to find myself in a bad area and thought I needed it handier than my pocket, I could carry it in my hand undetected at first glance.

The P238 is an easy pistol to shoot. recoil is very manageable. My wife shoots one as well, she likes it much more than a 38 SW airweight. Even with light 38 SP rounds the revolver had a harsher recoil than the Sig P238. and its smaller and lighter.

I recently purchased a Glock 26 for CC. I've concealed carried everything from a 1911 .45 to a derringer to a Walther PPK over the years.

As I'm sure you know there are several trade-offs to be considered when choosing a CC gun. For me the biggest issue to consider was conceal-ability vs capacity/handling. 100% reliability is non-negotiable for an EDC gun.

Concealment is a function of the person's size, habits and the climate where they live among other things. For me at 6 feet tall 180 or so, always dressing casual and living in the south I'm a bit in the middle, big enough to conceal a relatively large gun, but in shorts and t-shirt often during the summer.

I like capacity, because more bullets are better, and also because higher capacity usually means a bigger gun that won't be quite as 'snappy' as a lighter gun.

I liked the compromise the G26 offers. It's a Glock, so it has no soul, but it always goes bang when you pull the trigger. With fingertip extensions I can get 12 in a magazine which gives me 13 rounds of 9 mm without having to reload. It's slide is narrow enough to carry comfortably at the 5:00 in an IWB and a spare mag fits easily in a front pocket.

The other alternative for me was the G43 also in 9mm. I decided against it because the mag only holds 6 (if I'm only going to get 6 I'll stick with a S&W snubbie), it's super concealable (but not enough to go comfortably in a pocket), but the lighter weight makes for a lot more muzzle rise. I don't much care for the shorter sight radius either.

So, Glock 26.

Look at the Kahr K-9,small pistol in 9mm, very accurate and manageable recoil,Rated for +P ammo.The K-9 is an all stainless steel gun, carries real nice too.

My choice as well. I've been using one of those (on my second actually) since they first came out some 20 years ago.

Could also recommend the MK9, which is a tad bit smaller, although I find they're not as easy for me to shoot accurately.

My K9 will do one hole groups with Corbon DPX out to 20 yds, if I do my part. Love the simple rolling #6 trigger,

and it carries easy IWB or OWB.

I will admit that lately with our weather in the 90's, I've had to resort to the PPk for some days, the K9 is just too massive for

ankle or pocket carry, for my tastes anyway.

My son carries a Kahr 380 and loves it, it's accurate and very reliable, plus it's part polymer so it weighs next to nothing.

Good luck with your shopping,

Shadow Catcher

What is your life worth?? Drawing a pistol to fire on another is a life and death decision. My personal carry pistol is an early custom Kimber Ultra CDP in 45ACP. My wife needs a smaller pistol but needs the reliability of a big one. ROHRBAUGH R9. Nothing else even comes close. Your money, your life.

First, decide if you want a simple gun such as a double action or a more complicated single action such as the Colt or Sig single actions.

By complicated, I mean the required training and methods of use.

I prefer the simplicity of no external safety and merely pull the trigger, so I went with the new LCP with the upgraded trigger and sights. It does concern very well in my pocket.

A revolver is always a great choice and can be readily concealed due to it's irregular shape but has not worked as well for me for pocket carry.

Yes, there is a little more recoil, but it is manageable, especially for a very close-up gun. My LCP is much more accurate than my old KelTec 380.

The 9 mm versions will have more power and can be good shooters (Not the Ruger LC9, but others). But they are much harder to put in as many pockets as I can with the slightly smaller LCP.

Sig p938 9mm same overall size as a p238 . No heavy recoil ,great sights, ambi's and slides right in your front pocket. Is lite weight and you can hit a humanoid target at 50 yards with no problem and is very accurate at 20-25 yards. REMEMBER the first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun! Dusty Boddams

Archived