SASS Wire Forum

Is it Time to let the Shooters Choose the Scoring System

Santa Fe River Stan,36999L

I'm not interested in debating the merits of the 3 SASS approved scoring systems. All I am asking is this.....

Shouldn't the Match Directors at the Regional and above level be allowed to choose which SASS approved scoring system they use?

If their shooters want to use Total Time or a Stage Points shouldn't they be allowed to use it....shouldn't any SASS approved scoring method be available?

Yes or No?

Stan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. A universal system should be used. Although I lean toward one of the systems they all work.

Yes, but type of scoring should be announced in the application, so shooters can decide if that is a match they want to participate in.

Match Directors choice...... yes. And as JB posted, it should be on the application, just in case some shooters have a STRONG preference.

..........Widder

Yes, but type of scoring should be announced in the application, so shooters can decide if that is a match they want to participate in.

+1

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 15, 2015 - Insulting
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 15, 2015 - Insulting

No...we should continue to be Sheeple...

And are there really people out there that wouldn't attend a fun-filled SASS match based on the scoring system??????

Wow...

Phantom

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 15, 2015 - Response to hidden insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 15, 2015 - Response to hidden insult

No...we should continue to be Sheeple...

And are there really people out there that wouldn't attend a fun-filled SASS match based on the scoring system??????

Wow...

Phantom

While I have a preference I wouldn't let a scoring system keep me from attending a shoot.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 15, 2015 - Response to hidden insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 15, 2015 - Response to hidden insult

Yeah!! What Phantom said!!

WHACK WHACK WHACK!!!

Reckon I'm in the YES camp..

Reckon I'd go along with match directors choice..

Reckon it should be on the match's application ..

Reckon I'd prefer one type over the others..

Reckon it wouldn't keep me from a match I liked..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' there's a lot of reckoning out there :)

Yes, different Area's/Region's may be more accustomed to one system or the other. Let the Match Director/Host Club use the scoring system of their choice. I personally like the Total Time system, cause I've seen the Rank Scoring bite too many Top Shooter's in the behind at our local clubs. I've been told that rank scoring rewards the more consistent shooter but I don't believe that is the truth. Personally seen it too many times where an exceptionally fast shooter may rank #1 on 4 stages and has one less than stellar stage and it knocks them out of the Top Gun spot even though they may have out-shot their competition by 3-5 seconds on average per stage. Just the view from my humble saddle.

YES....most definitely.

1) ...

2) As it stands, the decision of scoring methods for regional and above lies with SASS, the governing body of this sport. At it's widest influence that would include the TGs which are guided by their local clubs, at the narrowest it is the Wild Bunch.

Moving that decision to the Match Director of a given match, is not in fact 'letting the shooters decide' at best it is a committee decision by the match director and his club hopefully with input from a wide range of shooters that will likely be attending the match. At worst, the decision is based on his own opinion or that of a smaller group of friends.

3) 'Most would not avoid a match based solely on the scoring method' - And by the same token, nor would they choose a given match based solely on the scoring system used. Moot argument here as it will neither help nor hurt match attendance. However, IMO there are some who may avoid a match due to scoring system, especially systems that are harder to understand. Regional and above matches for most of us also mean a bigger investment in time, travel and money to attend and as such our criteria for choosing to attend or not often gets tighter.

4) Continuity - The shooters at the top of this game know how to tune their game based on the scoring system being used. The rest of us, not as much. And while be may not be at the top of the score sheets, we like to be competitive with those at our own skill and speed level. If use of a given system is a local or regional thing, shooters local to that would be more accustomed to fine tuning their game to that scoring system than those who might be traveling in from the fringe of the region where another system is most commonly used. Further - you could have a regional that one year was total time, the next stage points, the next rank points. Shooters could theoretically be subject to a different scoring method for regional, national, and world matches.

Absolutely the scoring method should be listed on match promotional information and entry form especially if MDs are allowed to choose.

Change is not always progress.

edit - for a yes or no answer - limited to just rank points or total time I would say yes, adding in stage points or another method my answer would be no.

some inside info.... around 08 the lesser members of the ROC were in the process of taking a poll about doing away with Rank Point Scoring.. it was obvious that it wud meet it's demise until a member of the WB told us in no uncertain terms that it was NOT open for discussion. That is why there has been no discussion in the ROC.

Now, these years later and new members among the WB it cud be brought up, but don't hold your breath!

Archived