SASS Wire Forum

Kowkatcher is getting scammed- fake emails

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

Is anyone else getting emails supposedly from Kowkatcher that she has been robbed while in Istanbul, Turkey and needs money to get home? If you know her let her know someone is using her info to try and scam someone into sending money via Western Union.

It must be a scam. I read your post and tried calling Kow Katcher and Bent Barrel Betty on their cell phones, but no answer. Next, I called Charles at the Old Fort Parker museum and range. He said Kow Katcher and Betty had been working there all week, and had just left for Waco about thirty minutes ago.

Czexican Dave

I just got Bent Barrel Betty to answer her cell (Kow Katcher is with her) and this is what happened. Kow Katcher was in the process of group emailing the Old Fort Parker newsletter yesterday, when apparently some hacker got into her computer and zapped everything. She lost all her contact information.

The email mentioned by Doc Fill'em is supposedly from Kow Katcher, but it's not - it's from the hacker. Beware of replying to Kow Katcher, because it's going to the hacker. They will then have your email address. Betty told me they have already received phone calls from fellow cowboy shooters on the way to Western Union to wire money.

Kow Katcher wanted me to post her new email address, but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Oh, and I checked my email and had the same one from Kow Katcher.

Czexican Dave

Yeah, the hackers steal someone's contact list and send out either scam letters (like this) or phishing emails (they give you a web link to click on, where they try to get you hand over something valuable like passwords or credit card numbers, or even social security numbers).

The only attack against KK in this case is probably just that they snagged her contact list and trashed her email account to prevent her from figuring out that folks were complaining about the emails being sent. The financial gain comes when the hackers send out emails using KKs account, so recipients think it really is from the victim (not from some anonymous Prince in Nigeria).

Never take an email request seriously when it does not make good sense. Why would KK be in Istanbul anyway? And why would she have picked out YOU to ask for money? And never click a link that someone sends you, unless you know them real well and even if you do, call and ask them why they sent you that link.

Good luck, GJ

You mean I have probably lost the $1500 I sent to the hotel in Turkey????

Yep. It went the way of the $200 I sent to get Complicated Lady out of London a few years back.

Mack & Goody...

Send me $500 each and I will forward it to a Duke in Ethiopia that promises he can get it back for you.

Archived