SASS Wire Forum

Breaking for lunch at a shoot

Korupt Karl

The only problem with threads like this is there is just over 3000 views on it, and, yet there are over 100,000 SASS Numbers

issued. But, realistically let's say half of those are fairly regular shooters.....50,000. We have 135 opinions stated on this

thread. Based on 50,000 regular shooters that is .0027 percent. Is that a true sampling?

So, the problem is there are many readers of the wire who will take back to their club the opinion that the majority of shooters

don't like breaking for lunch. The statement is based on less than 1/8 of 1 percent reporting their opinion and some of that

percentage is in favor of breaking for lunch.

My personal opinion is (insert smiley face here - I can't my tool bar to turn on)

KCD

It isn't 135/50000 x 100%

It is (# in favor)/135 x 100%

Must more significant %number

Your total sample is how ever many is in this thread

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Statistics diatribe this early in the morning….ok I’ll bite.

As of right now, 8:59am, there are 141 responses to this thread and 3,257 views. These numbers will change as time goes forward. For discussion’s sake let’s assume (and we know what that means) that there are 100,000 SASS shooters. Of that number how many actually visit the Wire? Of the 3,257 views how many of these views are from the same people, i.e. how many unique individuals have viewed this thread. In the end you can slice and dice all of the numbers of folks what are “fer” or “agin” taking a break that responded to this thread and not have a statistically significant sample. In the end you have to poll your individual clubs to get a statistically significant sample (enough opinions that matter) and then the local club’s officers can take that information and use it in whatever manner they wish, hopefully they’ll go with the recommendations of the shooters.

Kajun

And as noted, the clubs location, start and geographical area have impact.

If your club starts at 10, are there people who drove over an hour to get there? Did they eat breakfast at 7 or 8 am or?

Makes a big difference.

I know many folks that drive almost 2 hours to a shoot, so they eat breakfast almost 3 - 4 hours before the shoot actually starts - allowing for registration, possibly a side match. So now you are asking them to wait 6 - 7 hours to eat and with many that will not work. Snacks can help, but others mentioned a need for a break from that more than the meal. So many problems as we get older.. a BUMMER.

Statistics diatribe this early in the morning….ok I’ll bite.

As of right now, 8:59am, there are 141 responses to this thread and 3,257 views. These numbers will change as time goes forward. For discussion’s sake let’s assume (and we know what that means) that there are 100,000 SASS shooters. Of that number how many actually visit the Wire? Of the 3,257 views how many of these views are from the same people, i.e. how many unique individuals have viewed this thread. In the end you can slice and dice all of the numbers of folks what are “fer” or “agin” taking a break that responded to this thread and not have a statistically significant sample. In the end you have to poll your individual clubs to get a statistically significant sample (enough opinions that matter) and then the local club’s officers can take that information and use it in whatever manner they wish, hopefully they’ll go with the recommendations of the shooters.

Kajun

Many of those are repeat responders......

Why do you think they call me peanut butter?!!!!!! I eat at least one if not two peanutbutter jelly wraps during a shoot!! and one or two protein bars!!!! and a thermos of hot coffee!!!!!

Why do you think they call me peanut butter?!!!!!! I eat at least one if not two peanutbutter jelly wraps during a shoot!! and one or two protein bars!!!! and a thermos of hot coffee!!!!!

That explains why you are always in the "can"....lol. It is important to keep your energy up whether it is a monthly or a two day. We all have different ways of doing it. I try to keep a beverage in my cart along with a snack. If I get low sugar I have glucose tablets. The carts we have should handle about anything we want to bring along.

I am in total agreement with Knob in that this isn't a big sample, but most polls taken are but a thumbnail of the public. As MW stated, simply poll the members and they will let you know. We have never stopped for lunch and shoot about 4 hours at our monthly (10-2) and prior we run our sidematches which some shoot and others, like me, pick and choose just to make sure my guns work.

KK

Interesting when you put a pencil to it.

After work today, for grins and giggles, I 'roughly' broke down the votes on this topic of lunch break or not.

I counted the definite 'for lunch break'

I counted the number of 'neutral' post that didn't express one way or the other but rambled on something else.

I counted the number of 'double taps'... people that posted number of times. I did count their first vote ..against a lunch break.

Results,,,, and I said it was a once through count.

58 votes against a lunch break

20 votes in favor for a lunch break

69 votes neutral or double tap post by same person

147 total

Therefore 78 total votes on the subject.

58/78 x 100% = 74% against break

20/78 x 100% = 26% for break.

Hmmmm!

Yer welcome to count the post to verify....

Marauder nailed my thoughts perfectly. All of my matches are 1-2 hours away; most start at 10. Even eating while driving leaves me with a 5 hour gap until noon. I'm not going to wait until 2 or 3 to eat lunch. The "no lunch break" folks are probably much younger than the average SASS shooter. I personally don't enjoy stuffing food in me during a stage. A 40 minute break is relaxing to me. I like lunch breaks.

Well,

The matter of age and health seems to control some folks. I understand folks with diabetes or hypoglycemia being a little more fragile, but most of us don't know hunger, just get to feeling a little empty. I'm 66, 25# overweight, sore knees, aching back and cardiac limited. I would much rather complete the shooting uninterrupted by lunch and then meet at the local watering hole in a controlled climate with my pards to eat, drink & socialize. On days when heading to the homestead is desired, I'm on the road that much earlier. I arrive early at most matches to have additional meet & greet time. None of the four clubs I shoot at have lunch breaks at regular monthly shoots or their one day annual matches. Keeping snacks, beverages & a folding stool on the guncart make the day manageable.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Another +1

As a shooter. I REALLY DISLIKE breaking for lunch.

As someone that was also a vendor. I DOUBLELY DISLIKED it.

Breaking for lunch did not have anything to do with sales. It does not help one bit.

But it sure makes it hard on the folks that are trying to do both. Which is MANY of your vendors.

Absolutely! Never do any business at the lunch break. That reason or excuse needs to go bye bye! At a monthly all sales happen prior to shooting time👍🏼

Ringer

I've shot with a man that's cattle baron age that's on oxygen. He never once tried to force the posse to stop for lunch. Instead, he reset sg targets, and even ran the clock some. He even helped some with tear down after the shoot. I'm thinking maybe we should be a little more like him.

Breaking for lunch...stinks!

Have any of you that get hungry ever hear of these new thingies called Breakfast Bars...Protein Bars...Energy Bars...??? They're really neat!

Phantom

You forgot Twinkies and Mountain Dew. If that combination don't get you moving, there is probably not much anyone can do for ya. ;)

Yup, I nibble starting at the first stage so I can make it to lunch. I've learned I have to do that. And then still need lunch!!! I know, tis a bummer.

Knowing that why don't you bring "lunch" with you, why inconvenience the rest of the posse?

Bad Hand, do you want me to quit for the day then?

Most often, I would have to ask other shooters to stay late to allow me to finish the shoot as the posse would have moved to another posse. Then of course, the scores would be even further delayed....

Of course that would not inconvenience anyone would it?

Etc.

You probably don't know or understand because you have not tried it - where as I have....

Perhaps a more interesting question is as follows...

If you don't like a lunch break, will you still shoot at a club that has one?

Or

If you do like a lunch break, will you shoot at one that doesn't?

I'd have to answer the second question with probably not. (With a couple of possible exceptions)

If you don't like a lunch break, will you still shoot at a club that has one? Not unless it was a special occasion, like an occasional trip to a distant area. We have many clubs in my area, none break for lunch. So, if one changed, I'd have many other places to go.

Or

I'd have to answer the second question with probably not. (With a couple of possible exceptions)

If you don't like a lunch break, will you still shoot at a club that has one?

Or

If I visited a club that broke for lunch, I'd break for lunch. I probably wouldn't shoot there as often as I would a shoot through match because Mrs Lose usually has plans on Saturday evening. Most of the clubs that I shoot with usually wrap up around 1:00 and then head out for lunch if they want at a nearby cafe.

I got some names for ya and they don't include peanut butter!!! :P:P

If I visited a club that broke for lunch, I'd break for lunch. I probably wouldn't shoot there as often as I would a shoot through match because Mrs Lose usually has plans on Saturday evening. Most of the clubs that I shoot with usually wrap up around 1:00 and then head out for lunch if they want at a nearby cafe.

Interesting....

For the record, every club that I have shot at in New England breaks for lunch, and we usually finish around 3 PM.

Bad Hand, do you want me to quit for the day then?

Most often, I would have to ask other shooters to stay late to allow me to finish the shoot as the posse would have moved to another posse. Then of course, the scores would be even further delayed....

Of course that would not inconvenience anyone would it?

Etc.

You probably don't know or understand because you have not tried it - where as I have....

I'm confused, why can't you bring your lunch, then when you want to eat, just take a break from posse duties, go to your cart and eat? I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence.

I'm confused, why can't you bring your lunch, then when you want to eat, just take a break from posse duties, go to your cart and eat? I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence.

He said he nibbles...not like he's having a big sit down lunch. I do the same...doesn't stop me from working the posse.

Phantom

Interesting when you put a pencil to it.

After work today, for grins and giggles, I 'roughly' broke down the votes on this topic of lunch break or not.

I counted the definite 'for lunch break'

I counted the number of 'neutral' post that didn't express one way or the other but rambled on something else.

I counted the number of 'double taps'... people that posted number of times. I did count their first vote ..against a lunch break.

Results,,,, and I said it was a once through count.

58 votes against a lunch break

20 votes in favor for a lunch break

69 votes neutral or double tap post by same person

147 total

Therefore 78 total votes on the subject.

58/78 x 100% = 74% against break

20/78 x 100% = 26% for break.

Hmmmm!

Yer welcome to count the post to verify....

Blastmaster....thanks for doing the tally. I had no idea of the amount of posts and views this subject would get.

KK

If you are pro lunch break:

a: Frequent the clubs that have a mandatory break

If you are against the lunch break:

a: Go without lunch

b: Snack or use energy bars

c; Pack a lunch.

No one can put themselves in someone else's shoes and tell them what works for them. I posted this for comment and we see more for no lunch that those for it. Make your choices, do what is needed and enjoy the shoot.

I, for one, pack snacks and beverage and when the shoot is over will eat if provided or will stop on the way home. I don't know of any of the clubs in Midwest that have lunch breaks....I'm sure there are some. If the posse decides to lunch break, I'll go with the flow.

Thanks all for responding.

KK

Archived