SASS Wire Forum

Breaking for lunch at a shoot

Korupt Karl

When I was in better health ten years ago I felt the same way I was picking up steam on each stage and on four I was doing my best if we shot six we usually broke for lunch. Now I'm not gathering steam as much as running out of it so I need time to recharge especially in the heat.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,

With all the modern conveniences a SASS cowboy can carry with him during a match: food, beverages, cool bandanas, wet & dry towels, portable fan/heater, folding stool & umbrella, and the fact that shooting time is usually under a minute, and a shooter shoots at a minimum about once every 30-45 min. , I don't see the necessity for a lunch break. Especially with attitude of most clubs with making allowances for folks with medical & physical limitations.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Wow....

I am really surprised by this thread. I have shot at several different clubs here in New England, and I have never been to a match were we did not stop for lunch about halfway through the event.

The more or less usual format is as follows...

First stage starts at 10 AM

Shoot 3 or 4 stages

Break for lunch

Shoot remaining 2 or 3 stages. (Most shoots here are 6 stages, some are 8)

For me, and as near as I can tell, everybody else, the lunch break is one of the best times at the shoot. We get a chance to chat about how the shoot has been going, interact with folks on the other posses and otherwise kick back for a few minutes before finishing the day, usually by about 3 in the afternoon. I have never heard anyone say they wished we didn't break for lunch.

At a monthly match, usually, after the 3rd stage the posse decides if it wants to break now, or shoot one more stage before lunch. At the bigger annual, 2 day shoots with 10 or 12 stages, it's more carefully timed out, like

Posse 1 shoot stages 1,2,3,lunch,4,5,6

Posse 2 shoot stages 1,2,3,4,lunch, 5,6

and so on so that not everyone tries to eat at exactly the same time and overload the line.

Lunch can vary from food at the clubhouse, sometimes it's free, sometimes there's a small charge, a "food truck" showing up to sell lunch, a BBQ set up near one of the stages, and anything else you care to mention. I've also been a couple (the minority) where you bring your own, but everyone does, and we always enjoy the chance to eat and chat for 20 minutes or so before going back to finish the day.

Hi Folks,

I believe that clubs should cater to their members' wishes and be consistent about it. That way those that don't like a lunch break can skip those clubs with a mandatory break and vice versa.

When I have traveled to a distant event, I've gone with the flow of what happens there.

Regards,

Allie

I dislike breaking for lunch. What is worse is having several posses standing in a single lunch line in the weather. If you are going to have a vendor serving lunch he better be able to feed folks quickly. It is not fair that some shooters get served quickly while others stand in line for 45 minutes with almost no time to eat.

Even less sure. Hey did you say Champagne? ;)

Yeah, but champagne, candle light, and soft music, thats for the fellas. Kind of creeps some of them out, I admit. You and I could have margaritas and mariachi bands, if that is more to your liking.

What a quandary. Some folks want the match to be an all day affair. Many do not. I enjoy the fellowship but generally have quite a drive so I don't want to too long.

Of course, for those who know me, I don't prefer a lunch break as I have no choice. I must take a break. That is the way I've been all my life and it is a a pain. If I don't break, I start to get the shakes, then the foggy head and head ache. The head ache will last generally the rest of the day. And if I go to long, I may faint. So that is a real pain the the..

So to make it, I carry snacks and as I've gotten older, I found I have to start snacking on the first stage. I generally carry "peanut butter tortillas" which are flour tortillas with peanut butter rolled up inside. It has worked great. Of course, I still have to take a short lunch break in addition to that.

In the heat, I get worse. So I wear cool cloths, try different cool clothes and even fans. I've tried wearing less clothing but the sun gets me then. I've tried keeping literally drenched with water but in this humid climate, that hasn't helped much if at all. Guess what they only help a little. Being in the shade is the best but it is hard to do posse stuff in the shade.

When folks noticed that several years ago, they first doubled it, but after twice calling paramedics and/or first aid at the range, they realized I didn't have much choice.

Over the years a few more cowboys gradually came up and said that they were beginning to understand - both the food and heat issues. Before they could "press on" but eventually they noticed that it wasn't working for them. So they need a break especially with hot and humid. Not a long break, but a30 minutes or so. And fortunately where I shoot we can get a quick lunch most everywhere.

So most of the technology has not helped. Carrying a fan and having a large umbrella does help, but that is a pain. And the extra weight, etc takes its toll as well.

We generally have about anywhere from 25 - 30% of the shooters in that shame quite often now. So having that number leave your posse pretty well shuts down most posses - as you either have to have a large posse to do that (too large and slow) or end up with 7 shooters trying to shoot through. Then what do you do with the rest for the match?

Generally those who have some of this trouble are quiet about it and hate making a fuss. So they try their best and some have left the sport because of it long before they wanted or needed to.

But I understand how a break bothers many, and a longer break probably makes it even worse. If your club has essentially all those type folks, GREAT, go for it!

But as we age, many folks and clubs find they need a break especially in hot or cold temperatures.

We live about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. away from most shoots. We get up at 5:00 AM have a little breakfast, load up and drive for an hour and a half. We usually get a breakfast snack at the club before the shoot around 8:30 when we get there. Stand around until 9:30 or 10 when the shooting starts and after 3 stages, its 1:00PM and I'm hungry. You get tired, sloppy and grumpy by then and that's not a recipe for a good final score. I vote for a quick 30 min. lunch and recharge...

We live about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. away from most shoots. We get up at 5:00 AM have a little breakfast, load up and drive for an hour and a half. We usually get a breakfast snack at the club before the shoot around 8:30 when we get there. Stand around until 9:30 or 10 when the shooting starts and after 3 stages, its 1:00PM and I'm hungry. You get tired, sloppy and grumpy by then and that's not a recipe for a good final score. I vote for a quick 30 min. lunch and recharge...

Really good point!!

Another thought. People like to start shooting, don't take a lunch break and go home, like it's going to a dentist appointment or something. These are the same people who go to church, go up and get communion and head out the door without staying for the finale. The rest of us unfed poor slobs get to stay and put everything away. Who's with me here? How many shoots have you been to with 40 shooters starting and 10 people staying to clean up? This isn't supposed to be a punishment, it's supposed to be fun. If all you can think about after you start shooting is when can I finish and go home, maybe you need a new hobby.

Another thought. People like to start shooting, don't take a lunch break and go home, like it's going to a dentist appointment or something. These are the same people who go to church, go up and get communion and head out the door without staying for the finale. The rest of us unfed poor slobs get to stay and put everything away. Who's with me here? How many shoots have you been to with 40 shooters starting and 10 people staying to clean up? This isn't supposed to be a punishment, it's supposed to be fun. If all you can think about after you start shooting is when can I finish and go home, maybe you need a new hobby.

Your observation is nothing new, a small percentage work their tail off so a larger percentage can have fun. You will find that in ANY volunteer organization. There are no martyrs in this game. I really don't see the connection between breaking the flow of a match and folks not helping. You either help our you don't.

I do my share setting up and tearing down and I have no desire to break for lunch.

By the way, an hour per stage is entirely too long. If that's really how long you folks shoot, you may want to work on streamlining your process.

Not all matches are like that.

FYI, I like to go out to lunch with my fellow shooters after a match. We have a dedicated range and the only things to be put away are carpets.

I'll counter that with, I get to the match early (usually at least 1 hour before the shooters' meeting) to get out clip boards, timers, score sheets, unload my guns, and help with sign ups. It is pretty annoying when, a person is always late and expects to shoot with someone specific. That said I'll do my best to accommodate. I am happy to say that has become infrequent and I think the majority of folks I shoot with are considerate.

We are also lucky (or blessed with hard working members with carpentry skills) to have covered shooting positions, loading/unloading tables, and shade covers on most stages.

Following is a sample bay.

11402360_10204247441655731_5152960337397

Our club loves the fellowship at lunch. Like a pack of wolves eating and picking on each other. Like I said we have a full time cook. We have some that like to be on cook detail. We let them shoot first on stage 3 so they can go and get it ready to serve. We try to get back to shooting in 30 to 35 min if we can. We built a really nice cook shack with a large pot bellied stove in the middle with 4 picnic tables. We just added a 8' porch on the west side for the cookers and smokers. We are adding another 8' porch on the east side labor day . We just added a bar table top on 3 sides for the new 31" bar stool type benches we are going to build. So everything is covered for shade and weather. We are trying to get ready for the Oklahoma State BP Shootout Oct 8th,9th,10th. We will need the room. With the $75.00 shooting fees you get lunch provided all three days plus the banquet meal on Saturday night down to the new $400,000.00 clubhouse.

Rev

As a 35 year type II diabetic, I certainly understand the need to have food during the shoot to keep my blood sugar at an acceptable level. For me having snacks throughout the match and lunch when I am hungry (along with fluids) is a lot more important that taking a match break for all the cowboys to eat lunch. Many times when these breaks occur I have already had my sandwich and snacks for lunch

GCK,

I understand it so well in the summer months when we don't have a lunch. You just start to run down like the energizer bunny don't you. Or at least I do .

Rev

When It's hot here it's also DRY and when I'm shooting FCD I dislike taking a Lunch Break as it Bakes

the Fouling Brick Hard ...

So shoot through or Not I'm there to enjoy the Shooting and the Folks,,, Just let me know Which Way you are planning to go before we start shooting in the morning so I can Load the Cart in the right way ...

What I really dislike is Suprize We are Stopping/Or Suprize We ain't ...

Jabez Cowboy

Well,

With all the modern conveniences a SASS cowboy can carry with him during a match: food, beverages, cool bandanas, wet & dry towels, portable fan/heater, folding stool & umbrella, and the fact that shooting time is usually under a minute, and a shooter shoots at a minimum about once every 30-45 min. , I don't see the necessity for a lunch break. Especially with attitude of most clubs with making allowances for folks with medical & physical limitations.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Most of the clubs up here in Central New York do to the short season (usually April through October) don't have permanent structures for props. With few exceptions, there is usually only one posse using the limited resources. Two weeks ago we had 28 people shooting. Between the confusion of helping out as RO's, brass pickers, spotters, loading and unloading tables, there is precious time to load for the next stage let alone have any kind of satisfying lunch. It would be nice if we could put the "GET IT OVER WITH" shooters on one posse and the 'REST OF US" on another but we just don't have that luxury.

Hi Folks,

I believe that clubs should cater to their members' wishes and be consistent about it. That way those that don't like a lunch break can skip those clubs with a mandatory break and vice versa.

When I have traveled to a distant event, I've gone with the flow of what happens there.

Regards,

Allie

Allie my whole point was is that we have to cater to the HOST CLUB'S wishes or we risk making bad blood. They let us shoot there and we have permanent buildings set up as well as giving the HOST CLUB money at the end of the year! If they want to make a little extra money on providing lunch and use it as a work party requirement for their members then that's fine. I would rather not break for lunch either but to keep everyone happy we do it! Some people don't understand the co-operation that must exist between the cowboys and the HOST CLUB!

Rye

Allie my whole point was is that we have to cater to the HOST CLUB'S wishes or we risk making bad blood. They let us shoot there and we have permanent buildings set up as well as giving the HOST CLUB money at the end of the year! If they want to make a little extra money on providing lunch and use it as a work party requirement for their members then that's fine. I would rather not break for lunch either but to keep everyone happy we do it! Some people don't understand the co-operation that must exist between the cowboys and the HOST CLUB!

Rye

I totally understand your concerns and it is smart in what you are doing.

I'm in the no brake camp for sure. Almost every club in this area forces you the stop for lunch,I came to shoot and don't like setting around for 30 to 40 minutes. Folks that need to eat something for any reason should bring a snack to keep the system running. Just burnin' daylight in my opinion

Question.

It has been said that people like to start a shoot, shoot all the stages, and then go out to lunch together.

How early do you start that first stage? Up here in New England most places start the first stage between 9:30 and 10 AM. Usually because it is against the law to start shooting any earlier. How do you get 6 stages in before noon, or 1PM at the latest if you are starting that late?

I have a feeling that a lot of folks who say, "no lunch break" are shooting in places where you can start the 1st stage much earlier, maybe as early as 8AM. If that is the case, suddenly this lunch/no lunch option takes on a whole other dynamic. If you are starting early, there may very well be no need for a lunch break. But if you are starting late, it all but becomes a requirement.

Just a thought....

We start at ten. So let's say we finish at 2. Only a very few people cannot go 4 hrs without food. Those people can shoot then stop and eat a lunch during any stage if they need to or just grab a snack. Somebody on this thread said lets put the no break on one posse and the rest on another. I hope that some of the people that run these shoots can see that the numbers on the non break posse would be 90% + of the shooters showing up. Now let me add. There are two smaller shoots I've been to in our extended area and wish I could go more often. One is in WV and the other towards the eastern shore. Both have great food and it Would Not surprise me if the majority of those club shooters wanted the break. As I said before I'm always for the majority because I think that's how you keep people coming back.

The last thing that most of us need is that 12 inch hoagie, 32 ounce coke and family size chips at a shoot that typically last 3 to 4 hours. Pack grub on your gun cart and eat on the run. I am quite certain that during the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral they didn't stop for lunch, in one photo Billy Clanton has a Snickers bar in his left hand.

Question.

It has been said that people like to start a shoot, shoot all the stages, and then go out to lunch together.

How early do you start that first stage? Up here in New England most places start the first stage between 9:30 and 10 AM. Usually because it is against the law to start shooting any earlier. How do you get 6 stages in before noon, or 1PM at the latest if you are starting that late?

I have a feeling that a lot of folks who say, "no lunch break" are shooting in places where you can start the 1st stage much earlier, maybe as early as 8AM. If that is the case, suddenly this lunch/no lunch option takes on a whole other dynamic. If you are starting early, there may very well be no need for a lunch break. But if you are starting late, it all but becomes a requirement.

Just a thought....

I don't know about that, if I started shooting as late as 10:00 I'd want to keep on shooting so that I could get home before dark. Most of the matches that I go to start at 9:00 and one starts at 8:00 and none of them stop for lunch.

I don't know about that, if I started shooting as late as 10:00 I'd want to keep on shooting so that I could get home before dark. Most of the matches that I go to start at 9:00 and one starts at 8:00 and none of them stop for lunch.

THIS X 2, when you look at the number of shooters these clubs have. Folks seem real happy--

OLG

<RANT DELETED> no break...please.

For those that need a meal break,,,, just shoot first at whatever stage nature calls, and after making guns safe, shade up and eat....take a nap, relax....let the rest of the posse continue to shoot. They won't minded. Be sure to wake up in time to move to next stage.

The only problem with threads like this is there is just over 3000 views on it, and, yet there are over 100,000 SASS Numbers

issued. But, realistically let's say half of those are fairly regular shooters.....50,000. We have 135 opinions stated on this

thread. Based on 50,000 regular shooters that is .0027 percent. Is that a true sampling?

So, the problem is there are many readers of the wire who will take back to their club the opinion that the majority of shooters

don't like breaking for lunch. The statement is based on less than 1/8 of 1 percent reporting their opinion and some of that

percentage is in favor of breaking for lunch.

My personal opinion is (insert smiley face here - I can't my tool bar to turn on)

KCD

Drover,

you can create your own smiley face by using a Colon :

AND, then add the right side parenthesis symbol ) immediately after without using the space bar.

:)

..........Widder

The only problem with threads like this is there is just over 3000 views on it, and, yet there are over 100,000 SASS Numbers

issued. But, realistically let's say half of those are fairly regular shooters.....50,000. We have 135 opinions stated on this

thread. Based on 50,000 regular shooters that is .0027 percent. Is that a true sampling?

So, the problem is there are many readers of the wire who will take back to their club the opinion that the majority of shooters

don't like breaking for lunch. The statement is based on less than 1/8 of 1 percent reporting their opinion and some of that

percentage is in favor of breaking for lunch.

My personal opinion is (insert smiley face here - I can't my tool bar to turn on)

KCD

Agree. That wouldn't make any sense because I think this is a range to range issue. It's so simple to just poll YOUR shooters before a match during the safety meeting. So in the future you can make a change if you wish. There may be some clubs that don't have a break and the shooters want one and vice versa.

Agree. That wouldn't make any sense because I think this is a range to range issue. It's so simple to just poll YOUR shooters before a match during the safety meeting. So in the future you can make a change if you wish. There may be some clubs that don't have a break and the shooters want one and vice versa.

+1

Talk to your club officers or BOD. Volunteer to organize some type of lunch at your next shoot. I'm blessed to shoot at a club that not only has a great bunch of shooters, wonderful facilities, but really, really, great lunches AFTER the match.

Archived