SASS Wire Forum

Breaking for lunch at a shoot

Korupt Karl

Short Wagon, there have been polls taken at shoots and 2 out of 50 wanted to break. But when the mandatory break started many more than 2 went and ate. I'm not saying that's the way it is at your club but I AM saying that the people who decide to eat has NO bearing on how many really wanted it. I am and will always be for Majority rule at shoots whether I agree or not. I feel that's how you keep more people coming back. And that's all I really want.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess my biggest complaint about the lunch break that we had to take at The Gunfight Behind The Jersey Lilly was that it was an hour long. I know the food vendors count on people buying lunch but with only two vendors selling food the lines were incredibly long. Once you eat you're ready for a nap and I think your game suffers because of it. If we shoot six stages I usually carry a sandwich and some fruit in the cooler and eat it between stages. I carry some hand cleaning tissues to clean my hands with before I eat.

The Crap Shoot up at the RR Bar has a 1/2 hour lunch break and the lunch is brought right to the bay's by the Lions Club that owns the range, that is real handy and you're only down for a half hour, it worked very well.

At The Cowboys match in Norco they have a hot dog vendor that sets up near the bay's and while the match is being shot you can go get a a hot dog and chips. The hot dogs are about the best I've ever had. They hang around afterwards so that those that didn't buy a dog during the match can still eat clear through the awards. From what I've seen they do a very good business. IMHO, this is probably the best food vendor that they've ever had.

If someone needs time off to care for a medical condition, I'm sure there's not a match director around who will stand in the way of making sure you get a break. That does not require everyone to have to stop shooting and go eat, however. Just make sure your Posse Marshal knows about it, and if he has heartburn, go on up the chain.

After all, as stated well above, "it's all about keeping the customers happy."

Good luck, GJ

I prefer that there be no break between stages.

I appreciate all the work and venue the host clubs provide.

I also appreciate the clubs that provide lunch and the efforts to do so.

I would buy a lunch- in most cases- when provided to support those efforts, after the stages are completed and after I helped to tear down stages.

This can be done quite well when the able bodies on a posse are willing to complete the task.

Considering that we are a society that supports one another and that it takes a group to make this all possible, it might be that everyone can be satisfied.

I have never been to a club that outlaws snacks, whether that be a bag of peanuts or a ten foot hoagie. Lunch is also provided at many monthly matches but

the question is when and why. At most state and above matches we shoot thru and participate in other activities ( or not-option).

*** Example #1- Just came back from a 12 stage match, 6 / 6 no break, and I witnessed a lot of happy people. There was a food vendor there. All posses shoot at the same time.

*** Example #2- Just came back from monthly, broke for lunch after 4 stages, many shooters stayed on stage, many shooters walked up hill and stood in line then scarfed down lunch,

walked down hill and then assembled posse. We then shot final 2 stages albeit a bit sluggishly. One shooter P's, excuse "damn lunch break", then another.

Scores were served after match.

*** Example #3- Monthly match, 6 stages, Two stages each berm. 16 per posse, 3 posse's. ( 48 shooters).

Start at 10 am. Estimated end time 1:30. No break. Scores up at 2:15 ( because we have a awesome match director).

Tear down with able bodies. Stow gear. Go to clubhouse where Lunch is waiting without a line and shooters waiting for scores, relaxed.

Some had to leave after tear down. They could not stay and would have left after match anyway. A good friend once said-" Happy wife happy life".

Many stayed for scores and a good lunch. The food provider had the same audience and maybe with a little less effort. Some shooters stayed that would not have

just to support the idea.

45 minutes is a long time, it all depends on where you want to spend it. ( Between stages or after stages )

This is just my humble opinion and I honor all others. I would support the majority simply because I believe this game is worth it and the people that make it so are priceless.

Times are changing and sometimes there is a better mouse trap. In some cases its worth a second look.

Lunch break or not, I plan on seeing friends at the next match. I'll bring peanuts unless your allergic.

Respectfully.

RB

I guess my biggest complaint about the lunch break that we had to take at The Gunfight Behind The Jersey Lilly was that it was an hour long.

The last time I was there, we had a two-hour lunch break. We finished the first three stages at 11:00 and were told we could not shoot the second three until 1:00.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but waaay back when I first started cowboy shooting it was not all about speed. The two clubs I shot with. at their monthly shoots would shoot 4 stages - first three, lunch break, last one after lunch.This worked out perfectly for me, And I far prefer things that way. But that was before the boom of cowboy shooters and things changed to allow for numbers, and speeded up for the same reason. Oh well.....

The O'Meara Himself

I have a bumper sticker that says, "we don't break for lunch". Lol

I prefer that there be no break between stages.

I appreciate all the work and venue the host clubs provide.

I also appreciate the clubs that provide lunch and the efforts to do so.

I would buy a lunch- in most cases- when provided to support those efforts, after the stages are completed and after I helped to tear down stages.

This can be done quite well when the able bodies on a posse are willing to complete the task.

Considering that we are a society that supports one another and that it takes a group to make this all possible, it might be that everyone can be satisfied.

I have never been to a club that outlaws snacks, whether that be a bag of peanuts or a ten foot hoagie. Lunch is also provided at many monthly matches but

the question is when and why. At most state and above matches we shoot thru and participate in other activities ( or not-option).

*** Example #1- Just came back from a 12 stage match, 6 / 6 no break, and I witnessed a lot of happy people. There was a food vendor there. All posses shoot at the same time.

*** Example #2- Just came back from monthly, broke for lunch after 4 stages, many shooters stayed on stage, many shooters walked up hill and stood in line then scarfed down lunch,

walked down hill and then assembled posse. We then shot final 2 stages albeit a bit sluggishly. One shooter P's, excuse "damn lunch break", then another.

Scores were served after match.

*** Example #3- Monthly match, 6 stages, Two stages each berm. 16 per posse, 3 posse's. ( 48 shooters).

Start at 10 am. Estimated end time 1:30. No break. Scores up at 2:15 ( because we have a awesome match director).

Tear down with able bodies. Stow gear. Go to clubhouse where Lunch is waiting without a line and shooters waiting for scores, relaxed.

Some had to leave after tear down. They could not stay and would have left after match anyway. A good friend once said-" Happy wife happy life".

Many stayed for scores and a good lunch. The food provider had the same audience and maybe with a little less effort. Some shooters stayed that would not have

just to support the idea.

45 minutes is a long time, it all depends on where you want to spend it. ( Between stages or after stages )

This is just my humble opinion and I honor all others. I would support the majority simply because I believe this game is worth it and the people that make it so are priceless.

Times are changing and sometimes there is a better mouse trap. In some cases its worth a second look.

Lunch break or not, I plan on seeing friends at the next match. I'll bring peanuts unless your allergic.

Respectfully.

RB

He always offers his nuts to others. Lol

The last time I was there, we had a two-hour lunch break. We finished the first three stages at 11:00 and were told we could not shoot the second three until 1:00.

You're right about that. I think they shrunk it to an hour last year because of all the complaints on the long one.

As much as it pains me to agree with Rye Miles, he is right about the members not complaining. At Firelands there may be some that dont like the lunch break but the majority go down to the clubhouse, have a burger and share some jokes. The point that he is trying to make is that the club does not force anyone to buy anything. Some people bring in their own food and that is never a problem, The issue is that the host club has members volunteer their time to help their club out. Since they are volunteers we try to be as considerate to them as they are to give their time to us.

After being in agreement with him I feel dirty and need to go shower. Carry on.

:P:P:P

Short Wagon, there have been polls taken at shoots and 2 out of 50 wanted to break. But when the mandatory break started many more than 2 went and ate. I'm not saying that's the way it is at your club but I AM saying that the people who decide to eat has NO bearing on how many really wanted it. I am and will always be for Majority rule at shoots whether I agree or not. I feel that's how you keep more people coming back. And that's all I really want.

+1

Just because they buy lunch when forced to take a lunch break.

Does not mean they like it. Or that they voice displeasure about having to break.

I really dislike it. But if forced to. I will go ahead and eat.

I would never go back to a match that did that.

I don't shoot the amount of matches I used too, but of the 5 state,1 regional and monthlies at about 12 or 12 clubs I can't remember any of them having a break. I did shoot a state shoot some years back and they had one, but stopped that a few years back to everyones liking.

If you wondered why I would post this topic....1. Idle time 2. I wanted to see if folks had changed their minds on the subject.

It appears that they haven't

Thanks all....we can bury the horse now...lol

KK

Remember that well.

Plus, the near 100* heat didn't do me any good either.

BUT, we had FUN :excl:

OLG

I don't shoot the amount of matches I used too, but of the 5 state,1 regional and monthlies at about 12 or 12 clubs I can't remember any of them having a break. I did shoot a state shoot some years back and they had one, but stopped that a few years back to everyones liking.If you wondered why I would post this topic....1. Idle time 2. I wanted to see if folks had changed their minds on the subject.It appears that they haven'tThanks all....we can bury the horse now...lolKK

I vote to throw dirt on the horse as a old guy if I stop and eat I want to take anap Ps prayers still being sent

And we were told that if we started shooting before 1:00 the entire posse would be DQed.

For what it is worth, The Cowboys no longer break for lunch. We instruct the posses to let shooters break away as needed if they would like to eat but to keep the posse moving. I have never liked stopping for lunch.

For what it is worth, The Cowboys no longer break for lunch. We instruct the posses to let shooters break away as needed if they would like to eat but to keep the posse moving. I have never liked stopping for lunch.

I think we were referring to the GFBJL and not the Ambush or monthly matches.

Candlelight, champagne, soft music....

Even less sure. Hey did you say Champagne? ;)

Did you notice no food was listed Miss Allie Meaux ;)

I prefer to shoot through, as do most of the shooters I shoot with on a regular basis. Unfortunately we have 3 clubs within a 3 hour radius where the Match Directors don't care what the shooters want, so we just have to put up with it or quit coming. As a diabetic, I am smart enough to know that my body has requirements that require attendance and I make sure that it is taken into account.

Doggone I hate to hear about having lunch after 3 stages and then shoot 3 more is bad. We have a full time cook. Chef Rowdy. He makes all kinds of meals. He starts up the smokers and its real good. We use the money to add to our town. Usually takes 1/2 hour to and go on shooting. We have been doing it for 4 yrs. Don't do it in the Summer months. Start early and keeep on going. Our club likes the break, rest, food and go again . If there isn't a lunch they want to know why. I know some from other clubs don't shoot with us for the 1/2 break for lunch, but thats what we have always done.

Rev

Read all above with interest. Not buying or vendors support is each to his own. But in the south standing outside in the heat shooting and working I can not make it thru 6 stages with out a break off my feet and in the A/C club house to continue. Then winter time need heat to get the old bones moving. Fun goes out of the sport around stage 5 without a break.

Maybe your area has younger members but not in my AO of 5 clubs.

Read all above with interest. Not buying or vendors support is each to his own. But in the south standing outside in the heat shooting and working I can not make it thru 6 stages with out a break off my feet and in the A/C club house to continue. Then winter time need heat to get the old bones moving. Fun goes out of the sport around stage 5 without a break.

Maybe your area has younger members but not in my AO of 5 clubs.

+1 M.M.

When I was in better health ten years ago I felt the same way I was picking up steam on each stage and on four I was doing my best if we shot six we usually broke for lunch. Now I'm not gathering steam as much as running out of it so I need time to recharge especially in the heat.

Archived