SASS Wire Forum

Breaking for lunch at a shoot

Korupt Karl

Put me in the no break camp. Like Most Wanted I don't like to be held captive especially in the name of the possibility that I might buy something from someone. If you need to eat pack a small cooler with food, nobody will begrudge anyone for having a snack to keep their blood sugar/energy level in check. I have first hand experience with vendors blaming lack of business on matches moving away form breaks. Lack of influx of shooters,repeat customers, saturation and the internet have WAY more to do with vendors not making as much money the than lack of a shooting break does. The match is about your shooters (customers) first and foremost. And my experience and feedback tell me that a larger percentage of shooters like to shoot straight through.

Great points. 👎 thumbs down on the lunch break.

Regards,

Ringer

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At our club Firelands Peacemakers the host club Rochester Gun Club provides lunch, it's part of they're work party duties. They don't want to hang around till past 2:00 so we have to break for lunch to appease the host club. Personally, I don't care either way but sometimes ya hafta keep the Host club people happy!

Rye ;)

Guest Maker-Wright

At our club Firelands Peacemakers the host club Rochester Gun Club provides lunch, it's part of they're work party duties. They don't want to hang around till past 2:00 so we have to break for lunch to appease the host club. Personally, I don't care either way but sometimes ya hafta keep the Host club people happy!

Rye ;)

My response to that is to tell the host club; "No Problem.... don't bother fixing lunch, we'll bring our own, or we'll have it catered in and served after the shoot". Forcing the multitudes to stick around until later in the day, heat, cold, etc. so a handful can serve lunch and put their feet up early? Gee... wouldn't want to put THEM to any trouble.

Maker

Put me in the no break camp. Like Most Wanted I don't like to be held captive especially in the name of the possibility that I might buy something from someone. If you need to eat pack a small cooler with food, nobody will begrudge anyone for having a snack to keep their blood sugar/energy level in check. I have first hand experience with vendors blaming lack of business on matches moving away form breaks. Lack of influx of shooters,repeat customers, saturation and the internet have WAY more to do with vendors not making as much money the than lack of a shooting break does. The match is about your shooters (customers) first and foremost. And my experience and feedback tell me that a larger percentage of shooters like to shoot straight through.

Another +1

As a shooter. I REALLY DISLIKE breaking for lunch.

As someone that was also a vendor. I DOUBLELY DISLIKED it.

Breaking for lunch did not have anything to do with sales. It does not help one bit.

But it sure makes it hard on the folks that are trying to do both. Which is MANY of your vendors.

When I started shooting in AZ there were no breaks for lunch. When I got to NH, seems all the clubs break for lunch. Put me in the No Break list.

S. Floyd

No thanks - if I stop shooting, spotting, ULTing for a half hour. I'm done for the day. Just can't get 'er fired up again.

I see that the responses are overwhelming against a break. I kinda thought that would be the response, but decided to post the thread.

Thanks all for responding and by the way: Once I start shooting I prefer to keep going.

KK

My lady and I quit going to one shoot in Arizona that had a mandatory lunch break for Hot Dogs and Hamburgers.

The shoot was a bit far and on the marginal side anyhow. The lunch break for lousy food just sent it into the "don't show up" column.

At one Regional shoot they decided to have a 2 hour lunch break.

That Regional is no more.

My response to that is to tell the host club; "No Problem.... don't bother fixing lunch, we'll bring our own, or we'll have it catered in and served after the shoot". Forcing the multitudes to stick around until later in the day, heat, cold, etc. so a handful can serve lunch and put their feet up early? Gee... wouldn't want to put THEM to any trouble.

Maker

They make a little money on lunch and we're trying to please the club, after all we're shooting on THEY'RE property! You're idea would cause bad feelings, politics ya know??

They make a little money on lunch and we're trying to please the club, after all we're shooting on THEY'RE property! You're idea would cause bad feelings, politics ya know??

Actually, you're shooting on THEIR property. :)

Actually, you're shooting on THEIR property. :)

Well excuse me Mr. Teacher, do I hafta go stand in the corner with a dunce cap on?????

On monthly shoot s i would rather not break to eat

However our clubs specialty shoots where eating is part of the fun. there Is a costume contest as well as a food competition. Winner of the match has to shoot well. Look good and bring a good recipe. Our winter shoots we shoot 2 eat shoot 2 eat and shoot 2. When it's cold out it gives you time to warm up. Chat and have some great food

I do pack a sandwich or grab something on the way to the range just in case it runs long or I feel the need for something. I guess I'm in the minority as usual. He asked and I answered but I did expect to be singled out for voicing my opinion. Since I'm normally driving almost two hours one way to shoot I reserve the majority of the day for shooting. Since it one hour to prepare to leave loading gear, getting dressed etc, two hours there, two hours back, forty five minutes to an hour per stage, half hour for sign up, 15 minutes safety news brief, thirty to sixty minutes for awards after a half hour for range clean up. Hour to unload and put away the guns and gear. It turns into a full day without eating so what thirty more minutes.

Blackey, didn't mean to single you out as much as point out that the minority's with special needs is easily accommodated. I've shot with people that didn't work all day for no reason at all. So I certainly don't mind if you were to take off duties for a stage so you could have lunch or a snack. It's just I have heard that reasoning more than a few times and it just doesn't need to effect the rest of the shooters. I do support anyone that needs a break for any reason. I would just like to keep shooting. MW

For several years we polled the shooters at our Tennessee State Match. The split was surprisingly equal. The poll was random and I have little doubt in it being at least fairly accurate. Only in the last couple of years has it swung somewhat toward no break.

This year, as of our last board meeting, there will be no lunch break at our state match.

Guest Maker-Wright

They make a little MONEY on lunch and we're trying to please the club, after all we're shooting on THEY'RE property! You're idea would cause bad feelings, politics ya know??

Bad Feelings? Well known and respected Respondents on this thread have stated; "No Breaks!, Breaks Suck!, Hate It!"

Obviously, Bad feelings ARE BEING GENERATED when we're basically being told; "It Doesn't matter what YOU want, You're GONNA take a break, you're GONNA break when WE say, because we're GONNA make a little more money off ya while you're here!"

No need to cause bad feelings. If the venue needs to charge a few more bucks to make hosting the event equitable, profitable, sustainable, whatever, then charge a few more bucks IN ENTRY FEES. But don't make us stop shooting when we don't want to, for a meal many of us don't want, and won't buy. And don't try to sell us on the BS notion that you're doing US a favor by interrupting the shoot to fit us into your busy schedule... it's insulting (and causes bad feelings).

Maker

Deep breath - breaking for lunch like a lot of things, seems to be a regional thing many times. For a lot of folks, it's just what they are used to. For many more, they may have only rarely experienced it when traveling. If it works for your club and your shooters, have at it. If your local folks seem to not be liking the idea, maybe it's time to get creative in figuring a way to keep host ranges and your shooters happy.

OK Grizz, git off yer soapbox.

G'nite all.

I'm going to go against the majority it seems, but I personally like the lunch break at larger matches, but would say no for monthly matches. I've never been to anything larger than a regional/annual so I don't know how the larger crowds ect would be. It doesn't affect me to stop shooting, because there seems to be the same amount of time between me shooting one stage to the next as there is for lunch. I also like the socializing away from the line too.

I will be the first to say that I LIKE to take a lunch break. It is my opinion that it is nice to be able to catch my breath and relax my hands for a bit. That being said I go to clubs that do and dont take breaks and have fun at both. Sometimes it is good to get off of your feet for a bit....

I'll second that....

I will be the first to say that I LIKE to take a lunch break. It is my opinion that it is nice to be able to catch my breath and relax my hands for a bit. That being said I go to clubs that do and dont take breaks and have fun at both. Sometimes it is good to get off of your feet for a bit....

I agree on takin a break. I have shot on posse's where people sat on their a$$ for four stages and then don't want to take a lunch break as it might get them off their rhythm. kR

I run the Westshore Posse and poll our shooters at every match in favor of or not in favor of taking a break, the vote is always against the break (which is what I like) I have never been diagnosed as a diabetic or high blood pressure but I always keep in my cart a piece of fruit or some form of proper nutrition in the event that I feel my sugar is out of whack. As Duece Stevens and Most Wanted said, "it should be about the shooters first and foremost and not other ventures", without the shooters you have nothing.

Weather patterns in the Southwest in late summer are for afternoon thunderstorms. If we break for lunch we might shoot in the rain and possibly lightning, so we avoid the lunch break. We can eat lunch safely under cover after a match if storms approach. For matches with lunch breaks I just eat a light lunch and then clean a bit of the BP fouling off my firearms.

Bad Feelings? Well known and respected Respondents on this thread have stated; "No Breaks!, Breaks Suck!, Hate It!"

Obviously, Bad feelings ARE BEING GENERATED when we're basically being told; "It Doesn't matter what YOU want, You're GONNA take a break, you're GONNA break when WE say, because we're GONNA make a little more money off ya while you're here!"

No need to cause bad feelings. If the venue needs to charge a few more bucks to make hosting the event equitable, profitable, sustainable, whatever, then charge a few more bucks IN ENTRY FEES. But don't make us stop shooting when we don't want to, for a meal many of us don't want, and won't buy. And don't try to sell us on the BS notion that you're doing US a favor by interrupting the shoot to fit us into your busy schedule... it's insulting (and causes bad feelings).

Maker

They're doing us a favor by letting us shoot on their property, what don't you get??? We're trying to make "good will" with the host club. We don't want it to come to trying to find somewhere else to shoot! What;s so complicated about this???? :wacko:

They're doing us a favor by letting us shoot on their property, what don't you get??? We're trying to make "good will" with the host club. We don't want it to come to trying to find somewhere else to shoot! What;s so complicated about this???? :wacko:

Favors don't involve money. We pay to shoot. If the home club needs more money I'd rather pay it in shooting fees.

Favors don't involve money. We pay to shoot. If the home club needs more money I'd rather pay it in shooting fees.

This has nothing to do with the host club wanting more money! They provide lunch for us and everyone appreciates it, they just don't want to hang around all day so we break for lunch to appease them. This is not a problem because at least half the shooters like to break for lunch. You guys are creating a problem here when there is none. I'm sorry I ever brought this up!!! :wacko:

This has nothing to do with the host club wanting more money! They provide lunch for us and everyone appreciates it, they just don't want to hang around all day so we break for lunch to appease them. This is not a problem because at least half the shooters like to break for lunch. You guys are creating a problem here when there is none. I'm sorry I ever brought this up!!! :wacko:

Not trying to argue or create a problem where there isn't Rye. If your shooters want it then great. That is what this is really about. Thanks MW

PS. Let me add that while I know I don't always convey my thoughts properly all your post up until this one talked about the Home clubs happiness and their money. So Myself and Maker were responding to that. Once you stated that this is what your Shooters want then no arguments here. Take care. MW

As much as it pains me to agree with Rye Miles, he is right about the members not complaining. At Firelands there may be some that dont like the lunch break but the majority go down to the clubhouse, have a burger and share some jokes. The point that he is trying to make is that the club does not force anyone to buy anything. Some people bring in their own food and that is never a problem, The issue is that the host club has members volunteer their time to help their club out. Since they are volunteers we try to be as considerate to them as they are to give their time to us.

After being in agreement with him I feel dirty and need to go shower. Carry on.

Archived