SASS Wire Forum

Breaking for lunch at a shoot

Korupt Karl

Sorry, I'm sitting here with my laptop and a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Just polling people to see how they feel about having a posse get time off during the rotation of posse's....

Luck of the draw where some start a half hour later, or somewhere in the middle get a half hour off, to eat, snack, rest or walk through the vending area.

Just wondered.

KK

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't like to take the break between shooting. I feel like it gets me out of rhythm and Is more difficult to get things going the second time.

WK

I sure don't understand the plan you are proposing, but we found time and again, that folks DO NOT WANT to stop for a mandatory break in the middle of their set of stages each day.

EOT and WR are great examples of how this can be handled for bigger matches without causing the food vendors to believe they are not going to be getting a large number of the participants eating lunch with them. The waves of shooters are divided so that each wave has a chance to eat lunch, it's just not DURING the time the are scheduled to shoot. The middle wave of the day may be shooting from 10:30 to 1:30. So, they can eat lunch as they desire, either before or after their wave finishes, or they just may skip lunch altogether.

Shoot it straight through! If there are folks who need to snack at 12 noon, they can bring snacks with them to hold them over.

Good luck, GJ

at one annual we go to we have to break for lunch at a certain time, and I don't recall anybody ever really liking it, but there is a reason for it at that particular range. I definitely prefer not to......

...a belly full of food tends to make some a bit sluggish.

Aha! There's a reason some want it done...

The day just gets hotter, or colder, or wetter. Shoot straight through, and go eat. The folks that throw the biggest fit were on lunch break anyway. 3 asperin, and a snack in the cart would solve the entire problem.

a belly full of food tends to make some a bit sluggish.

I' m always sluggish

with the powder and lead residue on my hands which I would have to address and talking off my leather and such my vote would be to shoot then eat (and then nap)

cr

Howdy Karl.

Call me ifn ya get too bored.

Anyhow, I don't like to break and I'm not sure I know anyone who does like to take a break in their shooting stages.

..........Widder

I prefer to just shoot them all and then have lunch..

I always stay and eat at the food vendors there..

They've come to earn a living and they get my business..

Then.. It goes into shop the vendors there mode..

Again.. They have to earn a living or why pay a vendor fee and get nothing for it..

I've shot with diabetic's that will usually have a snack bar, banana, or something with them

If they know ahead of time it's a "shoot all the stages and then we'll eat.." Match..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' that's just me tho... :)

I tend to feel slower and out of sink when I have to break for lunch..

Depends on the club. At one club, in Sudlersville, MD, there are volunteers that prepare lunch that is included with the match fees. At least there were when I was last there a few years ago. Nice people. It was nice to sit and chat with the locals nearby to the club who were participating in the game. Got to know some really nice friendly folks. It was a club I felt I always had the best time at. It was a shame for it to be 2.5 hours away one way though.

This was actually my " pet peeve" post on that other thread. I can't stand to break. But I also seldom take a lunch break at work. For the same reason , once I stop its harder to get restarted. In this area it is common for lunch breaks at shoots. But the few times the shooters were polled it was 98% Against breaks. I have become to feel like a hostage. Held captive during the middle of a shoot so I can be used to support some other cause. Shoot through and offer lunch at the end. Some will stay and some will go but at least it's their choice. With all if that said I have never not gone to a shoot because of it but I reserve the right to leave at break or not attend all together in the future.

I prefer to shoot thru & not break for lunch.

Eat after all the stages have been shot.

Destroys my rhythm to stop for lunch.

--Dawg

Hey KK:
Cheatin' Charlie bought a trailer shore-power cord from you a while back, but, due to circumstances, you two have yet to hook up so he can get it from you.
If you remember, please bring it to Michigan State or Indiana State & give it to Mean Gun Mark.
I'll see him at OVV and pick it up & pass it along to Charlie.
Hopin' & prayin' that this latest road block for Kay can be resolved & you two can have many years together.
Check your mailbox.
It says you can't receive any more messages.
Hence, I put this post here
See ya

--Dawg

Myself it depends on how long it's taking a four stage shoot straight through but a six stage that starts around 9 and you finish the forth stage around 1230 then being I need to eat semi regular for a medical condition I would like to stop because you've got another 90 minutes or more of shooting that's gonna put it after 2 pm by the time you get through shooting tack another hour on for clean up, talley the scores and the awards unless the vendor is gonna wait that long you almost need to break in my opinion. For monthlies unless your club runs the snack bar and has control over the service hours you need to support the vendors if you want them to support your matches.

I think what you are talking about is a bit different than the traditional 'break for lunch' type of match.

I HATE to break for lunch, especially in the summer, it puts you shooting your last stages, in the heat of the day, with a full belly. Even if you eat light it still breaks the flow, is hotter, and I just don't like it, no I don't. Shooting 6 is not a problem though for me it requires a snack part way thru, folks tend to plan ahead when they know what's going on and what they'll need to git it done for them.

Did I mention I hate to stop for lunch? :D

A staggered start to build in a break time for folks to eat if they want sounds interesting, but may be over thinking things a bit IMO.

shoot until done for the day.

Although, last Saturday we had a watermelon break after 3 stages. The ice cold watermelon sure hit the spot! but it only took 10 minutes or so.

Blackey, considering that You know You have a medical reason and need to eat regularly wouldn't You have some snack bars in Your cart.

I wouldn't think everybody should be expected to stop over such a simple fix. As for supporting vendors if 98% of those shooters supporting your range are against it wouldn't it make sense to take care of them first. Match participant numbers are dropping year after year. Can't hurt to try something different. People have very busy schedules. While some have all day to kill some are lucky if they can fit in a few hours. If we eat at the end some days I'd stay ( I have ) and some days I'd leave. But now I leave as soon as the steel is picked up because I gave what free time I didn't have to a mandatory lunch break that I didn't even eat at.

I will be the first to say that I LIKE to take a lunch break. It is my opinion that it is nice to be able to catch my breath and relax my hands for a bit. That being said I go to clubs that do and dont take breaks and have fun at both. Sometimes it is good to get off of your feet for a bit....

I'd just as soon keep shooting. I carry a soft sided ice chest in my cart and have cold drinks, snacks and jerky at most matches. If it is a 8 stage match I'll put a sandwich and some fruit in the cooler and that holds me over. At the large matches I've been to the lunch break has so many people lined up to get food at vendors that that's about all you do is stand in line.

I'd just as soon keep shooting. I carry a soft sided ice chest in my cart and have cold drinks, snacks and jerky at most matches. If it is a 8 stage match I'll put a sandwich and some fruit in the cooler and that holds me over. At the large matches I've been to the lunch break has so many people lined up to get food at vendors that that's about all you do is stand in line.

ain't that the truth, by the time you get up to get your food, the posse would have been done with another stage, by the time you eat and get back to the stages you could have shot the final stage.

Well,

My preference is no lunch break. I always carry enough liquid refreshment and a snack or two. I would much prefer & enjoy eating after all the gear is packed in the car. I carry a folding stool to get off my feet when possible. When attending matches with a lunch break, I still eat my snack(s) without the hassle of going to the lunch line.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

............................on breaking for lunch. After eating a good lunch, no salt added turkey sandwich, a few chips and a peach, the little bit of blood that still gets to my brain was diverted to my ever increasing belly. I got a little sleepy and needed to take a nap.

No I personally don't like breaking for lunch.

..............and it's just bad karma

Put me in the no break camp. Like Most Wanted I don't like to be held captive especially in the name of the possibility that I might buy something from someone. If you need to eat pack a small cooler with food, nobody will begrudge anyone for having a snack to keep their blood sugar/energy level in check. I have first hand experience with vendors blaming lack of business on matches moving away form breaks. Lack of influx of shooters,repeat customers, saturation and the internet have WAY more to do with vendors not making as much money the than lack of a shooting break does. The match is about your shooters (customers) first and foremost. And my experience and feedback tell me that a larger percentage of shooters like to shoot straight through.

shoot thru,,, more time later for visiting,,,, you know me,,, usually 2 peanut butter and jelly wraps and two protein bars to tide me thru...

staggered start wud be a nitemare...

I remember one time years ago at GOA there were different break times and when we came back the posse that was supposed to break decided not to and jumped in our slot, putting us 1 hour behind,,,, I was so upset I wud have MDQed the posse leader!!

I would say I fall in the shoot straight through category. Don't like getting all filled up with food then having to go get mobile again in the heat or cold, etc.

And I usually like to take my wife out to dinner/lunch afterwards as a treat for humoring me in shooting my hobby with me, so waiting for others to eat their lunch just makes the match all that longer to me.

BD

Guest Maker-Wright

This was actually my " pet peeve" post on that other thread. I can't stand to break. But I also seldom take a lunch break at work. For the same reason , once I stop its harder to get restarted. In this area it is common for lunch breaks at shoots. But the few times the shooters were polled it was 98% Against breaks. I have become to feel like a hostage. Held captive during the middle of a shoot so I can be used to support some other cause. Shoot through and offer lunch at the end. Some will stay and some will go but at least it's their choice. With all if that said I have never not gone to a shoot because of it but I reserve the right to leave at break or not attend all together in the future.

Exactly...

With about 95% of us saying the break makes us feel sluggish, and/or takes us out of our rhythm, I believe it's blatantly inconsiderate to force the overwhelming majority to stop against their will in the middle of a shoot.

If the food and/or the dining area is so bad, or is such a bad value, that you've got to hold people hostage in an attempt to get them to buy, then something has to change with the quality, or cost, of what's being offered.

Many Thanks to Korupt Karl for starting this thread. Hopefully it results in some positive changes.

Maker

Archived