SASS Wire Forum

I'm convinced.... we have TWO entirely different SASS groups!

Deadeye George

I don't understand all the hostility to summer clothing rules adopted by clubs to keep their members comfortable and safe. Folks CAS is a game, not a reenactment. Games should be fun.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does short sleeves and shorts make the heat more bearable? Drink lot's of water and stay in the shade as much as possible...yes...short sleeves and shorts???

Just post a link to where I can learn why it's better for ya...thanks!

Phantom

I have been in Very Hot temps shooting but that is only part of the equation. If I could shoot EOT in shorts and a T shirt I wouldn't. Out there the air is So dry that you never really realize how much you sweat because it evaporates instantly. Where the temps And humidity are high the sweat does not evaporate so our natural cooling system doesn't work very well. So we need the air and even the sun to pull off some of the sweat. So yeah , I would shoot in shorts and a T if I thought it would help. I can't say I've ever done it but I have no problem with MDs that allow it. If I showed up in a long sleeve shirt that was any other color than black I'd feel out of place. Let each person decide how to have their fun as long as it's within the MDs rules for that givin day. MW

Guest Grass Range #51406

A very long time ago when I arrived at Fort Chaffee Arkansas the uniform was fatigues with the trousers unbloused? But, just for a couple of weeks. The military uses a heat index system which considers heat and humidity. If high enough training stops. But that may have changed. Shirt sleeves were not folded up at Bliss

How does short sleeves and shorts make the heat more bearable? Drink lot's of water and stay in the shade as much as possible...yes...short sleeves and shorts???

Just post a link to where I can learn why it's better for ya...thanks!

Phantom

Covered skin stays cooler, as long as the weight of the fabric covering it allows air circulation.

I thought everyone knew that.

There are two clubs using the same range. One announces "summer Casual/Hawaiian shirts" if the temps are in the 90's and we shoot 4 stages. Half shoot casual and half shoot cowboy, so....

The other club is cowboy/SASS and the same group shoot both monthlies. No complaints either way, but they do like the option. Also after 4 stages we voted on whether to continue with the next 2. Vote said one more and go home. Again playing to the shooters wishes,

Also water is good but it doesn't replace anything that gets sweated out. Minerals and electrodes. I buy two big Gatoraids and drink them as I shoot. Seems to make me feel better at the end of the day.

Meeting the demands of the customers seems to be more important than strictly always enforcing the rules.

Ike

My club's August shoot this weekend is a Hawaiian theme, so I'm getting a kick out of this thread.

August in Houston........My sympathies! :)

When we lived in Ft. Worth, Texas and were heavily involved in RV'ing, we had one rally near Conroe in mid August and barely survived the week long ordeal! Two A/C's running non-stop (when we normally just ran one elsewhere) couldn't keep the RV comfortable. The swimming pool was hot, We couldn't get the ice cream maker to get cold enough to freeze the cream... it was horrible!

A couple of months ago I suffered seriously from the loss overheating and the loss of electrolytes from sweating in heavy cowboy gear despite drinking a bottle of water at every stage. That happened at Higgenville, MO which is a lot like Owl Creek,MO. I overheated because the sweat couldn't evaporate. I have learned that a sports drink can be a life saver. The people most at risk in high heat are over weight men over 60 who work as TO a lot. Women would be at risk but most of them have better sense than wear heavy clothing this time of year.

Had a similar incident. I was painting around the house on a 90 degree day. After about an hour, I started to walk towards the house and found my legs just didn't want to go the way I wanted to go. I staggered to the door, recognizing the early stages of heat stroke. The Missus saw me coming, put me in a chair, and handed me a bottle of Gatoraide. Ten minutes later, I finally stopped feeling dizzy. My clothes were so wet from perspiration that it felt like I had jumped into the swimming pool with them on. I later found out the humidity was over 80%, which basically prevented the sweat from evaporating. I would have probably been ok if I had been painting naked, as the perspiration would have dripped off. But, I was wearing a T shirt and shorts, and they held the perspiration against my skin, where it heated up, making me feel even worse.

Now, I won't go to a match if the temperature or heat index is over 90, which precludes about half the shooting season here in PA. I'm just too susceptible to heat stroke that I won't chance it.

JB

Moisture wicking clothing is the key. In really hot weather when I hike and fish, I wear quick dry nylon moisture wicking pants shirts, sock liners, and underwear (too much info I know) and carry plenty of water. The water bladder in my backpack is 3 liter and on a 6-7 mile hike in hot weather, I can empty it without having to urinate much meaning I'm sweating out most of the liquid.

Most of the CAS type clothing we wear is cotton (some linnen) and as stated elsewhere "cotton is rotten" when it comes to keeping you cool or warm.

I skipped our club's July shoot because it was just too darn hot to be fun. I'll never be a state champ or have my photo on the cover of the monthly newsletter. I'm just a middle of the road cowboy shooter who does this for fun, stress relief and to hang out with some good fellows. When it's 92 degrees with high humidity, I'm staying cool.

GS

I have ZERO problem with a club allowing relaxed dress in the summer. I've just found for me that wearing a loose fitting long sleeve shirt and lightweight canvas pants is as good as shorts and a T-shirt.

I do have a grass skirt and a couple of coconut halves tied together, maybe next match I'll go "all Hawaiian!

The heat index in Texas right now, Houston to be exact is about 110. The average humidty level in the middle of the say is about 80 %. Yes we shoot in t shirts and what not. I myself still shoot in pants and a long sleeve shirt to avoid getting burned but we still wear our boots and cowboy hats. we have our fun anyways!

As stated in a few other posts, humidity is the killer here in FL. Sweat can't evaporate when the humidity is high. Your body goes into overdrive trying to cool itself by sweating to no avail. Dehydration becomes a real danger. After suffering from heat exhaustion in multiple summer matches the previous couple of years, it wasn't worth it to shoot in the summers anymore. Unfortunately, since I run the match, I don't really have a choice. We switched to relaxed dress code this year, and the matches went a lot better for me.

You can argue it all you want, but for me personally, the less clothes the better when it is hot (provided that you protect your skin with sunblock).

This is a game....have fun...wear what the heck your club allows......Umm..who wears shorts and short sleeves....ummmm...lets see...the entire British Expeditionary Forces in North Africa....numerous German forces...Incas...Mayans...majority of African tribes for centuries. ...I think dressing for a match should be for comfort in extreme heat and humidity....not for the rule pushing boneheads...Jim

Dang....I left out the entire pacific island regions....ummm...lol... have fun and don't sweat the small stuff...Jim

I generally wear a wool vest year round. This year; however, with the increased rainfall & flooding, the heat index and incessant heat advisories have been such that the wool wasn't wicking the moisture away & keeping me cool - had to drop out of one match this summer already because of the heat. Cool shirt, lightweight trousers and a straw hat have made things better. Hawaiian shirt's worn when clubs I belong to allow.

What ever it takes to keep cool & off the heat injury list.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Some talk about safety...and the health of those with a few more years and more tactical girth then others. So far we've got references to groups that existed some time ago...or feelings that it's better in shorts and t-shirts...but what truly is the best wear for these folks during the hot and humid summer months????

Rather then just assuming that shorts and t-shirts are the way to go, who amongst us reeeeally knows the answer...and do YOU really want to know or do you just want to be able to shoot in shorts and t-shirts and hide behind the unproven idea that it's "Safer"?

Phantom

The hispanic laborers and tradesmen around here where long sleeve sweatshirts and jeans year round while working outdoors. I had some work for me this summer and they cannot understand why so many white people subject themselves to direct exposure to the sun, subject to heat stroke by wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Some talk about safety...and the health of those with a few more years and more tactical girth then others. So far we've got references to groups that existed some time ago...or feelings that it's better in shorts and t-shirts...but what truly is the best wear for these folks during the hot and humid summer months????

Rather then just assuming that shorts and t-shirts are the way to go, who amongst us reeeeally knows the answer...and do YOU really want to know or do you just want to be able to shoot in shorts and t-shirts and hide behind the unproven idea that it's "Safer"?

Phantom

+1 Thanks for writing this. MT

Doom, despair and agony on me! Whoa!

Yep. It gets hot down here in south La, too, but you'll never catch me in shorts or short sleeve shirt when cowboy action shooting. Neither club I shoot at allows it and I like it that way.

Hot dog's breath... Well stated. I love it!

I dress cowboy in the heat, may pare it down a bit,,, cotton shirts, white, and just loose fitting jeans with boots and hat...

but if a club wants summer dress rules,, I'm good with that,,,

if a club doesn't have ez ups I bring at least one with me!!!

one thing to remember, if you've had any serious recent health issues they will magnify in the heat...

Personally I wear shorts and shirts but not while shooting cas. For that I dress appropriately even for cc. I had chinks and boats made I think the chinks are cooler I wear a silk scarf, if I didn't wear it I would have a micro fibre towel there to mop up the sweat so that's a wash. My pants are a canvas or wool material. No vest while shooting too hot. Suspenders no effect, knife no effect, so that leaves one item left either a pocket watch or cuff spurs are out as is a jacket I can barely walk without falling now. I need to make some cuffs that are lightweight but look good. Maybe a filigree set. I wear s 100% cotton white shirt most days as I have four or five of them plus I have two of the cooler cowboy shirts IMO for dry heat the Colton wins.

Now that I said that modified dress like Hawaii outfits can work for some but not me I guess if they had that match I show up as normal for two reasons would forget the fancy dress date and two I've got enough CAS clothes so I'm not going to by Hawaii clothes. If I think the heats too high to shoot normally it's too hot for me to be out in it. But I'm working on a solution for that I bought a bucket winter that run off a rechargeable battery I'm gonna throw that in the back of the ranger and put me an umbrella up and find the right spot to survive. If I'm not allowed the use of my ranger and I really want to be there I drop back to the scooter and strap the bucket to the front.

Yeah...like it's not humid here in Austin...

Still, don't see any links that say Short Sleeves and Shorts are better for the heat...just curious.

Phantom

I don't know for sure but the Arabs have been wearing long flowing robes for hundreds if not thousands of years. Maybe we should give the Lawrence of Arabia look a try. 😀

All I know for sure is long sleeve cotton shirts and jeans don't cut it.

I don't know for sure but the Arabs have been wearing long flowing robes for hundreds if not thousands of years. Maybe we should give the Lawrence of Arabia look a try.

All I know for sure is long sleeve cotton shirts and jeans don't cut it.

Yep...they were well covered.

There are clothes that are better suited for summer weather. But it's an issue of material.

Phantom

Yep...they were well covered.

There are clothes that are better suited for summer weather. But it's an issue of material.

Phantom

Actually I think you are right. After what happened to me in June, i realized my heavy western cotton shirt and heavy blue jeans were a big part of the problem. I replaced them with my normal cowboy cooler shirt (sleeves rolled up) and light weight long linen pants. Both look cowboy but are light and handle sweat very well.. Last Saturday I wore a short sleeve summer weight shirt, but think I will go back to the cooler shirt for the next match. Our summer clothing rule is you have to wear a cowboy hat and boots. Not much is more amusing than a grown man in shorts, a tie dyed t-shirt, cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.

Yeah...like it's not humid here in Austin...

Still, don't see any links that say Short Sleeves and Shorts are better for the heat...just curious.

Phantom

More skin available provides more evaporative area, which allows your perspiration to do its job of keeping you cooler. It doesn't work super well in Missouri summers, where the damp air means that the evaporation basically doesn't take place (the air is too damp to absorb the water in you perspire.

I've toughed out a bunch of hot-weather matches in full gear, but I'd have welcomed the chance at just a t-shirt many times, too.

Back before enclosed, air conditioned cabs. I would be wearing jeans, long sleeve shirts, straw, pith, or a cap while farming 500 acres. No matter the heat nor humidity, never saw a farmer in T shirts, nor shorts in the fields. In fact, never had a pair of shorts except swimming trunks. MT

One aspect to remember, is for a number of clubs, during the heat of the summer, getting shooters out to, pay to play, is really about paying the clubs bills.

Should a club that is dancing on the edge of financial stability, draws an additional 2-7 shooters per day, during the summer months, due to relaxing of the dress code and knocking down the number of stages........this could equate out to having the ability to pay bills, or having the extra funds to upgrade the club.

Good subject matter for this thread.

Thanks,

OkDee

More skin available provides more evaporative area, which allows your perspiration to do its job of keeping you cooler. It doesn't work super well in Missouri summers, where the damp air means that the evaporation basically doesn't take place (the air is too damp to absorb the water in you perspire.

I've toughed out a bunch of hot-weather matches in full gear, but I'd have welcomed the chance at just a t-shirt many times, too.

Uh-huh...and it also exposes the skin to more direct sunlight...is that good??

Phantom

Raise the match fees till you match expenses

You realize that all of the shooters at a SASS match pay to shoot. We aren't paid actors shooting for your amusement.

+1 on starting at 0700!

Movnig the starting time up is not the solution, unless you want your attendance numbers to plummet! Clubs around here have tried that and they never do it the next year. People do this for entertainment and they just arent willing to get up @ 4am to get loaded, eat breakfest, shower, watever else and then drive an hour to a match to be there and get prepped to go hammers down at 7am.

WK

Being in the heat is like anything else, your body has to acclimate! How do you think my employees work all day outside? They get use to it! If you spend all day in the A/C and then once a month jump out into 95* temps with 60% humidity, its gonna beat you down. You need to hydrate and replace electrolytes. Use cooling towels, they work great!

I'll be looking the same when I'm shooting a stage no mater what time of year! Only difference is what I'm wearing while working the posse. If its cold I wear a lined duster, If I'm at Winter Rain I wear a slicker, if its hot, bring on the cooling towel!

WK

Archived