SASS Wire Forum

I'm convinced.... we have TWO entirely different SASS groups!

Deadeye George

Seems like lately, the forum has been plagued with disgruntled members posting on the Sass forum about rule infractions, people being accused of having an ammo belt too high, wrong type of shirt, sequined britches blah, blah, blah.

Today I logged in and found an interesting thread showing some footage of a local club shoot. Farther down the thread there were other videos showing some other local competition as well.

What I find interesting is that the folks in these videos are more relaxed with their dress code than others I have seen (Tee shirts, tennis shoes, shorts, you name it) BUT...... they are all having a ball and I can't help but wonder if these folks aren't from another SASS club, one where members don't just sit around and gripe about everything and everyone, just looking for someone to post a video so they can shred the participants for not being dressed properly.

Yep, gotta be two separate clubs, I'm sure glad we have plenty of folks in the "fun clubs" like this one, I love watching the videos!

I'm guessing that if I were shooting in 98% humidity in 100 degree weather, I'd dawn a short sleeve shirt myself!

Edit: I reworded my original words since they seemed a bit harsh, which WAS NOT MY INTENT! I apologize if I upset anyone. I have since learned that many clubs relax their cowboy garb when the humidity is so thick, you can simply drink the air!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it was a Hawaiian shoot. We've shot the last three months here in Missouri with excessive heat warnings. Most every shooter suffered from heat stress. Some left early and some shouldn't have been there. We skipped one match the week before because of the heat.

To further comment, there were a good number that did dress the part regardless of the relaxed dress code. And too, we have gained a number of new shooters that have "bit the bullet" on guns and other equipment but are still ramping up on costume.

like most clubs, we have relaxed dress code in the summer. Last month my son in law was shooting with me for the forst time. as he had no "cowboy" duds, I dressed in shorts, T-shirt (did wear my cowboy hat) was still plenty hot. yesterday I dressed in my regular clothes, loose fitting cotton long sleeve shirt, long pants, tall boots. really did not notice any difference.

I've got no problem with relaxed summer rules, but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

like most clubs, we have relaxed dress code in the summer. Last month my son in law was shooting with me for the forst time. as he had no "cowboy" duds, I dressed in shorts, T-shirt (did wear my cowboy hat) was still plenty hot. yesterday I dressed in my regular clothes, loose fitting cotton long sleeve shirt, long pants, tall boots. really did not notice any difference.

I've got no problem with relaxed summer rules, but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

For some folks it can mean the difference in whether they shoot the match or not. If they are forced to have to wear long sleeved shirts and long pants when it's stifling hot outside they apt to just stay home rather than come out and enjoy themselves participating in a sport they love and getting together with their pards.

Kajun

I shoot at a club where there temperature is 90 or over - the TG/Match Director, Dixie Bill, sends out an email - No Match This Month!

We even erect an canopy to sit under and only shoot in one bay to reduce having to move around.

Today - 5 scenarios in one bay (17 shooters) and each scenario was interesting including the Texas Star

Then at 'The Old Geezer's" Mid Week matches - word was put out for this week's match, due to the heat ... ' cutoff dress blues and shower shoes' if that makes you comfortable

Safety is Rule #1 of SASS and dressing for the weather to preclude heat prostration is very logical!

Did you ever notice that people who live and work in deserts, wear long sleeve shirts, head coverings and you never see them in shorts? Think they might know more about desert living?

How does short sleeves and shorts make the heat more bearable? Drink lot's of water and stay in the shade as much as possible...yes...short sleeves and shorts???

Just post a link to where I can learn why it's better for ya...thanks!

Phantom

Having grown up in the sun-soaked southern California beaches and desert regions... surfin', water-skiing and the like... & now sufferin' from 4 or 5 types of skin cancer, I can tell ya, shorts and short-sleeves are NOT my daily wear wardrobe. Stayin' in the shade, venturing out in the sun in loose-fitting long-sleeves, wide-brimmed hats, lighter colors and LOTS of water intake will make a larger difference between comfort and heat-stroke than all the short-sleeves and shorts at Wal-Mart!

This is Missouri, not the desert. The humidity and no breeze is the killer. At a match 5 weeks ago, I drank water at every opportunity, mopped down with bandanna. Wrapped ice in bandanna and applied it on any exposed skin and still lost 10 pounds.

A couple of summers back we had near 100 actual but with humidity from 20 to 40 % and a strong breeze to down right windy. I could stand that better than 80 degrees and 90% humidity.

4th Sat in June I nearly died at a shoot here from heat and humidity. I am since on hiatus until it cools a mite. I have had lots of skin cancer and do not wear shorts or short sleeve shirts unless I intend to stay inside for the most part. I cannot have the suns rays hit my skin except for a few minute "bask" for the Vitamin D making purposes.

I will never understand how folks think red hot sun rays hitting bare skin could possibly be cooler. My solution is the cowboy cooler shirts, one great invention, and a wide palm leaf hat

This is Missouri, not the desert. The humidity and no breeze is the killer. At a match 5 weeks ago, I drank water at every opportunity, mopped down with bandanna. Wrapped ice in bandanna and applied it on any exposed skin and still lost 10 pounds.

A couple of summers back we had near 100 actual but with humidity from 20 to 40 % and a strong breeze to down right windy. I could stand that better than 80 degrees and 90% humidity.

Yeah...like it's not humid here in Austin...

Still, don't see any links that say Short Sleeves and Shorts are better for the heat...just curious.

Phantom

Did you ever notice that people who live and work in deserts, wear long sleeve shirts, head coverings and you never see them in shorts? Think they might know more about desert living?

But it's a dry heat. Oh Yeah........

Shot in Tombstone last Sunday. 100deg+ and a monsoon breathing down our necks. Sweet. Still had fun in my cowboy clothes...Castalia

I have no scientific evidence one way or the other. I never wear shorts just by personal habit as much as any other reason. I never go shirtless. My normal summer wear is bib overalls and t-shirt with sleeves about down to elbows. But I'm getting to be an exception. Most men around here wear cargo shorts and t-shirt for about every occasion in the summer.

If you watch the video that started this topic, take note of the trees and haze. It's about 9:30 and the air is like steam. Our range is in heavy forest. Even on the brightest day, almost no sun hits the forest floor. This day was overcast to the point of threatening rain. It did sprinkle a bit. A body could be necked and have no danger from sun exposure.

Just for the record.....

There are four clubs in the Las Vegas area where 100+ is normal through September.

If we shoot, we shoot in our normal cowboy clothes.

Just for the record.....

There are four clubs in the Las Vegas area where 100+ is normal through September.

If we shoot, we shoot in our normal cowboy clothes.

But how high is the humidity? Can you drink your air? Huge difference between 100 degrees with 10% humidity and 90+ degrees with >80% humidity.

I'm not arguing for wearing shorts, BTW. lightweight loose fitting clothes yes.

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity".

Having lived in many regions of the US, I have been in the desert, Deep South, mid West, West Coast. The humidity makes you sweat and requires rehydration. You just have to say, "I'm gonna sweat my a$$ off", and accept it...or not.

Dry heat, like a pizza oven is not miserable but you have to stay cool and hydrated, even if you're not thirsty.

Fillmore

+1 on starting at 0700!

T-Shirts and rolled (and pinned, or not) up long sleeve are the same. Sun hitting bare skin. This subject about rolled up sleeves was beat to death not to long ago.

Understand relaxed dress code (shorts) for extreme summer.

But Gawd,,, why do some people have to dress with wild and loud Hawaiian print shirts and loud white tennis shoes? to be defiant.

I guess one has to just look at it as a practice match with relaxed SASS rules. Been there and done that too.

Edit, If I had a vote, I would be starting the match at 7am,,,, to beat most of the heat.

We were there at 6:35 am to set up targets and to make a stage repair. It was actually worse as the humility was 100 %. About 11:00 some breeze did come up and it was more comfortable. I couldn't check the humidity as there is no mobile phone service in that spot but it felt much lower.

There were more than a few that drove over 2 hours to get there. We also started safety meeting at 8:30 instead of 9:00.

If your club wants to relax dress for summer go for it on monthlies. I would still shoot with you but I would dress minimum cowboy. My minimum cowboy dress is khakis with a Henley sleeves rolled up and botas with a kepi. I do use a cooling cloth soaked in water around neck if really hot. This is just my way of dealing with the heat. If you want to dress funny I don't care.

I ditch the jeans for linen pants in the Summer. I also wear a summer weight cowboy hat. I normally wear cowboy cooler shirts but Saturday I opted for a light weight short sleeve shirt.

A couple of months ago I suffered seriously from the loss overheating and the loss of electrolytes from sweating in heavy cowboy gear despite drinking a bottle of water at every stage. That happened at Higgenville, MO which is a lot like Owl Creek,MO. I overheated because the sweat couldn't evaporate. I have learned that a sports drink can be a life saver. The people most at risk in high heat are over weight men over 60 who work as TO a lot. Women would be at risk but most of them have better sense than wear heavy clothing this time of year.

I have no problem with summer clothing rules. Sorry so many feel differently.

I don't wear short sleeved shirts, but I DO roll up my sleeves. Summer or winter, the sleeves on most shirts are way too short for me to wear buttoned. I roll 'em all up.

Posting a video of a practice session in t shirts a tennis shoes is ok as long as when you shoot your monthlies yo dress appropriately. But if it was me and especially if theirs a chance a video will be post here I think I might practice like I play or as we you to say in the military play like you fight.

That being said when I final get my DARTT System setup and the photos from a match and then those stages in the program so I can virtually reshoot the match working on my guns and transistions I might be dressed since I'll be in my living room playing with this setup and just showing the virtual match for what it is. Or I might be working on a drill or sweep to find the best way to accomplish this task. I'm hoping going to start getting it this week. I might but in the sweeps and some of the stages that don't have a moving target up for time comparison plus I'll have to see if I can show them some moving targets that we shoot regular and see if I can get them to add them like the star, the old buddzer from the ranch also the buffalo or train or what ever target they are using now. Maybe even do a single person team style match with a 4x4. I'm not saying these target can or will be added but I'm going to ask and with the amount I've invested in it it might be possible.

Coping with the heat is different for each individual. Last summer I was at a shoot in KY and when we came out of the motel at 7AM

it was very warm and the humidity was 100 %. The temp rose quickly as the sun came up. Went to the match drank a lot of liquids but there was no shade and NO air movement. Got overheated on the last stage and had to sit with an ice pack on my head/neck,

I recovered but felt like I had been jerked inside out. I have to admit that it has affected my attendance at shoots. If it looks to be hot and muggy, I just stay home. Its a shame that the weather has dictated much of my shooting. I think that as I get older (now 73) I

just can't tolerate the hot weather. As to the clothes, I can do a lot of sweating just wearing a T shirt so I don't know if dressing down

will help that much or not.

Coping with the heat is different for each individual. Last summer I was at a shoot in KY and when we came out of the motel at 7AM

it was very warm and the humidity was 100 %. The temp rose quickly as the sun came up. Went to the match drank a lot of liquids but there was no shade and NO air movement. Got overheated on the last stage and had to sit with an ice pack on my head/neck,

I recovered but felt like I had been jerked inside out. I have to admit that it has affected my attendance at shoots. If it looks to be hot and muggy, I just stay home. Its a shame that the weather has dictated much of my shooting. I think that as I get older (now 73) I

just can't tolerate the hot weather. As to the clothes, I can do a lot of sweating just wearing a T shirt so I don't know if dressing down

will help that much or not.

Good Mornin' Dee Mak.. :)

I got over heated at our Illinois State Match back in about 2005 or '06..

I found that taking Propel with me and drinking it before the shoot even starts and during..

Helps to keep the electolites in my system where they should be.. not just water..

They need a restroom close because in my reasoning..

If I don't have to go to the outhouse on every stage or at least every other..

I'm not drinking enough Propel..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' it helped me a lot.. :)

But again.. this is just my reasoning :wacko:

Edit: I still dress Cowboy... but I just sweat a whole bunch.. :blush:

It depends on the Customer. If half of your Club's shooters stay home when the weather is high temperatures and humidity plus full sun, but will show up to shoot with a defined summer dress code in effect - what do you do ? 1. Say the Dress Rules are the Dress Rules and loose half of your revenue or 2. Provide a relaxed defined hot weather dress code. So everyone wants to shoot and maintain your revenue stream.

Shoot Naked!

That will surely put an end to "Summer Dress" rules.

It was Hawaiian dress and I guess the first Hawaiians were necked so that should pass for native. But I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone at our match I'd want to see necked. I don't even want to look in the mirror when I get out of the shower.

It depends on the Customer. If half of your Club's shooters stay home when the weather is high temperatures and humidity plus full sun, but will show up to shoot with a defined summer dress code in effect - what do you do ? 1. Say the Dress Rules are the Dress Rules and loose half of your revenue or 2. Provide a relaxed defined hot weather dress code. So everyone wants to shoot and maintain your revenue stream.

Just don't call it a full SASS match....

Call it a Practice Match, where most of the SASS rules apply

I shoot with 3 clubs in the FL panhandle & 1 in eastern AL - all of them allow relaxed dress during the summer months. One club shoots 4 stages instead of 6. All provide water & gatorade. We bring generators & fans to get air moving. Without those things, it's just not happening for the majority of shooters. Relaxed dress code is simply another way of dealing with the heat.

The shooting part is hot, but when you have to do setup before & break down afterward, it makes a huge difference. I carry dry clothes to put on after setting up, because there is nothing worse than trying to shoot in dripping-wet clothes. In this part of the world, when you sweat, it doesn't evaporate, it collects in whatever clothing you may be wearing. We used to shoot at a range 1 mile from the gulf. After one August match where I did setup, shot the match, then did break down, I was so wiped out I could do nothing but sit in my truck with A/C on full blast for half an hour. At the restaurant afterward, I cramped so bad I had to lay stretched out in the floor. It just ain't worth it.

Without summer dress codes, we wouldn't shoot in June, July or August - it's not fun to melt. Personally, I figure it's the club's choice to offer & the shooter's choice to take advantage of relaxed dress. It doesn't make either any more or less cowboy. YMMV.

Holler

The Cowboys in Norco have their Castaway Cowboys match in August, this is a match where boots and cowboy hat are required and everything in between is optional. In my estimation 40 % dress in shorts and cooler shirts and tennis shoes and the other 60% dress full cowboy. It's just one match and it is a SASS match so it's not a big deal. We're getting older folks and if we can do something to make things easier on those that would otherwise not be able to play the game, we should do it, IMHO, of course.

Archived